McAuliffe ahead on eve of Election Day
November 4th, 2013
9 months ago

McAuliffe ahead on eve of Election Day

(CNN) - A new poll indicates Democrat Terry McAuliffe maintains his advantage over Republican Ken Cuccinelli, one day before the two candidates square off on Election Day in Virginia's gubernatorial race.

According to the Quinnipiac University survey, McAuliffe leads Cuccinelli among likely voters, 46%-40%. Libertarian candidate Robert Sarvis has support among 8% of likely voters.

The margin between McAuliffe, a former Democratic National Committee chairman, and Cucinelli, the commonwealth's Attorney General, remains similar to a poll released on Friday that showed McAuliffe with a seven percentage point advantage.

The latest poll was conducted from October 29 through November 3, a window of time that included high profile campaign stops by former President Bill Clinton and President Barack Obama for McAuliffe. Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has also hit the trail for McAuliffe, and Vice President Joe Biden attends an event for the Democrat on Monday.

The new poll also indicates five percent of likely voters are undecided, while five percent say they may change their mind by Tuesday.

With Democrats going hard after Cuccinelli over women's issues, the new survey shows a large gender gap between the two gubernatorial hopefuls. McAuliffe has a 50%-36% lead among women, with nine percent supporting Sarvis. Men, according to the poll, are more divided, with 44% supporting Cuccinelli, 42% backing McAuliffe, and eight percent supporting Sarvis.

The latest poll also continues to show that Cuccinelli has struggled to shore up his Republican base as much as McAuliffe.

"All year long, Cuccinelli has suffered from an inability to unite the Republican base, and if today's data holds true for another 24 hours, analysts may look back at his 85 percent of the GOP vote as his fatal flaw, while McAuliffe was getting 93 percent of the Democratic vote," Peter A. Brown, assistant director of the Quinnipiac University Polling Institute, said in a news release about the poll.

Five things to know about this year's most important election

Also Monday, Cuccinelli teams up with former Rep. Ron Paul, a three-time presidential candidate who has a strong following among Libertarian voters, at a rally in Richmond. With Sarvis close to 10% in the polls, it's no surprise that Cuccinelli is closing his campaign with Paul at his side.

Tuesday's winner will succeed Republican Gov. Bob McDonnell.

Quinnipiac surveyed 1,606 likely voters by telephone, with a sampling error of plus or minus 2.5 percentage points.

CNN Political Editor Paul Steinhauser contributed to this report.

Filed under: Ken Cuccinelli • Terry McAuliffe • Virginia
  1. Gurgyl

Here my Blessings to you McAuliffe. VA, be smart and vote DIRECT DEMOCRATIC PARTY. Enough party of greed that landed entire USA in trouble with unneeded wars.

November 4, 2013 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  2. Al-NY,NY

another nail in the coffin of the theological dictatorship of the GOP

November 4, 2013 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  3. Data Driven

And Quinnipiac has been consistently kind to Cuccinelli. The aggregate polling shows a wider gap than 6 points.

I'll be conservative and predict a 7-point win for McAuliffe.

November 4, 2013 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  4. Malory Archer

As it should be.

November 4, 2013 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  5. Lynda/Minnesota

Oh, dear. Mixed signals, CNN? The previous McAuliffe and Cuccinelli article suggests that Cuccinelli will in all likelihood not be the next governor of Virginia.

"Other surveys in recent weeks have consistently shown McAuliffe slightly ahead of his Republican opponent."

Wishing on one hand and hoping on the other hand still won't elect Cuccinelli, shuffling tea leaves or not.

November 4, 2013 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  6. cumulus

Cooch loss will in no way open their eyes, they know their ideology is unpopular, they simply don't care, and will continue to run on that platform, and step up voter suppression/ fraud efforts, better just remove them from power while you can, if they attain power,you won't recognize your country in a few short years, they are chomping at the bit, and if they could, they would destroy your standard of living, to further enhance the rich agenda.

November 4, 2013 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  7. Hector Slagg

McAulliffe appears the typical Washington liberal Not the best fit for the country but if you are throwing caution to the wind any warm body will do.

November 4, 2013 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  8. ST

Dear people in Virginia,
    Please make us all proud. Your State will be the first checkpoint, the second one will be the 2014 mid-term election when we will make sure the house is cleaned up thoroughly, and the last checkpoint will be 2016 when we will make another history of electing the first woman ever as President since US was created.

November 4, 2013 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  9. EdB

Two morons to choose from. Virginia loses no matter what :(

November 4, 2013 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  10. tom l

@Lynda
    "I don't hate on Rand Paul, tom. I simply don't consider him a viable candidate for President of the United States. Instead of faulting those of us who will never support Rand Paul, try offering us a candidate we can vote for."

I don't hate on Barack Obama, Lynda. I simply don't consider him a viable candidate for President of the United States. Instead of faulting those of us who will never support Barack Obama, try offering us a candidate we can vote for (support).

See how that works? Or should I go with the world famous "FIFY"? :)

November 4, 2013 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  11. Ann

With Ken looking a POPE SANTORUM, THE-SECOND, how in the world did he think he would have a chance to win?

November 4, 2013 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  12. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Let's get 'er done tomorrow Virginia!
    Straight Dem ticket.

November 4, 2013 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  13. Tampa Tim

Earlier a brain dead right wingnut said the ACA website cost $200 billion. The original estimate was 75 million, but Pink Limbaugh said it was $500 million. Hannity not willing to be outdone said it was $600 million. Now the brain dead are saying $200 billion, and they wonder why we think they are challenged mentally.

November 4, 2013 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  14. tom l

@Rudy
    "Non-sequitor. Are you too smart to realzie that you are defending the rights of states to shove bills down people/s throats? If that is what the right wing would do at the state level, I dread what they would try to do at the national level."

The non-sequitor is from you. As you clearly see, there is a difference between a state's right and federal rights. And yes, I'm absolutley defending their right to "shove bills down people's throats (you do realize that your statement right there smacks right up against the ACA as that was shoved down our throats through completely partisan politics but that's a discussion for a different time). As an American, if I don't like a law that my state is shoving down my throat, I can easily vote with my feet, remain an American but not subject to that law and move to a different state. So while I don't condone the Texas abortion law and find it personally wrong, if I lived in Texas I could still move to another state and not be subjected to that bad law. The same cannot be said for the ACA.

November 4, 2013 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  15. Tampa Tim

Hector – you use the word 'liberal' in a negative light, when we all know the closest one can come to swearing is to use 'libertarian.' Thought you should know.

November 4, 2013 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  16. tom l

@Data
    "I'll be conservative and predict a 7-point win for McAuliffe."

Con cuidado, my friend! Are you sure you want to associate yourself with being "conservative"? :) Please note that was a joke...

November 4, 2013 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  17. Fair is Fair

tom l

@Rudy
    -------
    The 10th ammendment needs no defense.

November 4, 2013 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  18. Data Driven

@tom l,

Well, lucky for you, he's not a candidate. He actually IS President of the United States.

November 4, 2013 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  19. Abbey

Here you have one of the biggest Democratic hacks of all time running for VA govenor. If the good people in VA wanted someone outside the beltway mess you better think twice about McAuliffe and his cronies.

November 4, 2013 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  20. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA -aka- Take Back The House -aka- No Redemption Votes

We are going to send a stern message to Tea Queda and the rest of the republican party tomorrow. Just wait and see.

November 4, 2013 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  21. rs

tom l

@Data
    "I'll be conservative and predict a 7-point win for McAuliffe."

Con cuidado, my friend! Are you sure you want to associate yourself with being "conservative"? Please note that was a joke...
    ______________________
    Nothing the Right does or promotes anymore is "conservative", especially in regards to the lengths to which they are going after women's rights and voters' rights, or redistributing (to use their term) income in this nation to the very wealthy.

November 4, 2013 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  22. Data Driven

@tom,

"Con cuidado, my friend! Are you sure you want to associate yourself with being "conservative"?

Well, if I'm wrong, it won't be for the first time, LOL. I'm just going with the numbers that I've seen reported on the race. But, heck, sometimes the numbers are wrong. If they are right, McAuliffe will win by 9.

November 4, 2013 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  23. Lynda/Minnesota

"See how that works? Or should I go with the world famous "FIFY"? :)"

You mean the "I'm rubber, you are glue" defense? Bit childish, don't you think?

As it is, tom. I can ONLY speak for myself on who I support or who I don't support. Therefore, I ONLY speak for myself while blogging on the ticker. I don't believe I've ever questioned your support of Rand Paul.

Please feel free to prove any mistake I make in thus saying.

November 4, 2013 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  24. cumulus

What will the women of Virginia do without the government telling them? When will you Democrats learn, your better off letting the gop control everything. The gop will just keep pounding the messaging problem thing again, that's some pretty good koolaid you make there gop.

November 4, 2013 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  25. tom l

@Data
    ""I simply don't consider him a viable candidate for President of the United States."

It's fascinating how there's an almost knee-jerk reaction from the right-wing against a Democrat being president. It's like they never consider a Democrat to be legitimately in office, but instead consider a Democrat an usurper who must be overthrown. Hence Whitewater and Monica Lewinsky. Hence birth certificates. I consider your comment to be a telling Freudian slip."

No Freudian slip. Just copy and pasting what Lynda said. Yes, he is our president and I have never said anything other than that. However, I find your comment extremely telling and shows how little perspective you have. I can guarantee you that there are several people on this thread that to this day will say that George Bush never won the election in 2000. Both sides do it. I was merely pointing out to Lynda that she asks for repubs to put out a candidate that dems could vote for and I'm asking her for dems to put out a candidate that repubs could vote for. That's all, dude.

I'd actually like an apology for making a false accusation that has nothing to do with nothing. I find it incredible how often your side does everything possible to discredit through any means possible. Rudy has made claims on several occasions that I'm only a few years out of high school with zero knowledge but he just says it anyways to discredit me. DMFO has said that I'm paid by the Koch brothers with zero knowledge but just says it to discredit me. It's lame. And you should be above that.

November 4, 2013 10:56 am at 10:56 am |