McAuliffe ahead on eve of Election Day
November 4th, 2013
1 year ago

McAuliffe ahead on eve of Election Day

(CNN) - A new poll indicates Democrat Terry McAuliffe maintains his advantage over Republican Ken Cuccinelli, one day before the two candidates square off on Election Day in Virginia's gubernatorial race.

According to the Quinnipiac University survey, McAuliffe leads Cuccinelli among likely voters, 46%-40%. Libertarian candidate Robert Sarvis has support among 8% of likely voters.

The margin between McAuliffe, a former Democratic National Committee chairman, and Cucinelli, the commonwealth's Attorney General, remains similar to a poll released on Friday that showed McAuliffe with a seven percentage point advantage.

Other surveys in recent weeks have consistently shown McAuliffe slightly ahead of his Republican opponent.

The latest poll was conducted from October 29 through November 3, a window of time that included high profile campaign stops by former President Bill Clinton and President Barack Obama for McAuliffe. Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has also hit the trail for McAuliffe, and Vice President Joe Biden attends an event for the Democrat on Monday.

The new poll also indicates five percent of likely voters are undecided, while five percent say they may change their mind by Tuesday.

With Democrats going hard after Cuccinelli over women's issues, the new survey shows a large gender gap between the two gubernatorial hopefuls. McAuliffe has a 50%-36% lead among women, with nine percent supporting Sarvis. Men, according to the poll, are more divided, with 44% supporting Cuccinelli, 42% backing McAuliffe, and eight percent supporting Sarvis.

The latest poll also continues to show that Cuccinelli has struggled to shore up his Republican base as much as McAuliffe.

"All year long, Cuccinelli has suffered from an inability to unite the Republican base, and if today's data holds true for another 24 hours, analysts may look back at his 85 percent of the GOP vote as his fatal flaw, while McAuliffe was getting 93 percent of the Democratic vote," Peter A. Brown, assistant director of the Quinnipiac University Polling Institute, said in a news release about the poll.

Five things to know about this year's most important election

Also Monday, Cuccinelli teams up with former Rep. Ron Paul, a three-time presidential candidate who has a strong following among Libertarian voters, at a rally in Richmond. With Sarvis close to 10% in the polls, it's no surprise that Cuccinelli is closing his campaign with Paul at his side.

Tuesday's winner will succeed Republican Gov. Bob McDonnell.

Quinnipiac surveyed 1,606 likely voters by telephone, with a sampling error of plus or minus 2.5 percentage points.

CNN Political Editor Paul Steinhauser contributed to this report.

Filed under: Ken Cuccinelli • Terry McAuliffe • Virginia
  1. Cam

If you want VA to turn out like MD (sanctuary for illegals) vote McAuliffe. He will make it just like MD and support legislation like the dream act and driver's licenses for illegals.

November 4, 2013 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  2. cumulus

Denial, not just a river in Africa

November 4, 2013 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  3. loving it

tom l

@Lynda
    "I don't hate on Rand Paul, tom. I simply don't consider him a viable candidate for President of the United States. Instead of faulting those of us who will never support Rand Paul, try offering us a candidate we can vote for."

I don't hate on Barack Obama, Lynda. I simply don't consider him a viable candidate for President of the United States. Instead of faulting those of us who will never support Barack Obama, try offering us a candidate we can vote for (support).

See how that works? Or should I go with the world famous "FIFY"?

Since Obama was already elected twice, he IS no longer a "viable candidate" for president, as he is term-limited.

But Hillary will appoint him to the Supreme Court.

November 4, 2013 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  4. loving it

A few weeks ago, the Teaparty was proclaiming this race a referendum on ACA.

Will they accept the results if (more likely, when) McCauliffe wins?

November 4, 2013 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  5. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Lord, it is too early in the week to engage tom l. people.

November 4, 2013 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  6. Bill

The endgame is at hand for Cuccinnelli. What a clown.

November 4, 2013 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  7. Rudy NYC

tom l wrote:

@Rudy
    "Non-sequitor. Are you too smart to realzie that you are defending the rights of states to shove bills down people/s throats? If that is what the right wing would do at the state level, I dread what they would try to do at the national level."

The non-sequitor is from you. As you clearly see, there is a difference between a state's right and federal rights. And yes, I'm absolutley defending their right to "shove bills down people's throats (you do realize that your statement right there smacks right up against the ACA as that was shoved down our throats through completely partisan politics but that's a discussion for a different time). As an American, if I don't like a law that my state is shoving down my throat, I can easily vote with my feet, remain an American but not subject to that law and move to a different state. So while I don't condone the Texas abortion law and find it personally wrong, if I lived in Texas I could still move to another state and not be subjected to that bad law. The same cannot be said for the ACA------------------------------------------
    Non-Sequitor. I'm not falling for the "bait and switch" and start arguing over state's rights. I suggest you take you own advice to heart. Vote with your feet, and move to a different country. Democracy means that you win some, and that you lose some.

The ACA was not shoved down anyone's throat. It passed with 60 votes, defeating the Republican filibuster, in December 2009. The ACA was passed by a simple majority vote in March 2010. That's how our democracy works, as outlined in the Constitution. BTW, I wasn't the one who complained about law being shoved down people's throats.

November 4, 2013 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  8. Data Driven

@DM4O,

"Lord, it is too early in the week to engage tom l. people."

I fear you're right.

November 4, 2013 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  9. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA -aka- Take Back The House -aka- No Redemption Votes

After tomorrow, Virginia will remain permanently BLUE! The #1 thing on our minds in Virginia is the republican led government shutdown. There is going to be hell to pay for the next few election cycles.

November 4, 2013 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  10. Dominican mama 4 Obama

-------------------------------------------------
    Yes we're forward thinkers here in the state of MD.
    We believe that it is important to keep our highways safe and our drivers insured, therefore we issue driver's licenses to immigrants lacking a social security number that clearly state that they are not valid as federal ID's or for any other identification purposes clearly stamped across the front.
    As a citizen of this country and a resident of the state of MD I have no problem with that.

November 4, 2013 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  11. rs

I'd actually like an apology for making a false accusation that has nothing to do with nothing. I find it incredible how often your side does everything possible to discredit through any means possible.
    ___________________
    Sorry Tom, as someone who continually sides with the Right (and hence the "Birthers" and anti-Americans, and Confederates of the TEA Party, and all of their racist jabberwocky and imagery to just mention "doing everything to discredit"), I think seeking an apology from anyone on these blogs who speaks out against those outrages is a bit much. You certainly don't defend the twice duly elected President against such outrages, and so are part of the very problem you describe. While you claim a greater civility, you clearly choose to stand with the insane and treasonous of the GOP- don't complain about the mud you get on your clothes for your proximity.

November 4, 2013 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  12. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Data Driven

@DM4O,

"Lord, it is too early in the week to engage tom l. people."

I fear you're right
    -------------------------------------------------
    LOL!
    And in regards to the website problems being blown up out of proportion: sho u rite!

November 4, 2013 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  13. Data Driven

@tom,

They didn't post my reply to you, a reply that disagreed with you but was courteous.

Perhaps the Ticker could apologize to ME for not allowing me to respond to YOUR comments about my, and other posters', motivations. If I were you, I'd just be glad that your demands for apologies get waved through.

November 4, 2013 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  14. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Dutch/Bad Newz, VA -aka- Take Back The House -aka- No Redemption Votes

-------------------------------------------------
    I think it is fortuitous for us that Cuccinelli would see tomorrow's election as a referendum on Obamacare.
    He will come to regret saying that if McAuliffe turns out to be the winner like we expect.
    I see it more as a referendum on the Tea Party infested GOP.
    I've been out in Woodbridge canvassing and registering folks. That's a hike for me Dutch. I hope our efforts will pay off tomorrow and that Viriginia will go Blue.
    DO NOT STAY HOME TOMORROW FOLKS. PLEASE VOTE!!

November 4, 2013 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  15. Data Driven

"I've been out in Woodbridge canvassing and registering folks."

Great work, Dominican Mama for Obama.

You hear that, liberals? Go and do likewise. She's putting her time where her typing fingers are. When races come to our towns and states, we can ALL do the same.

November 4, 2013 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  16. TONE

This will be a referendum on Cuccinelli's war on the women of Virginia, and around the country Mr probe.

November 4, 2013 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |