First on CNN: Christie: Romney 'embarrassed' about VP vetting leak
November 5th, 2013
1 year ago

First on CNN: Christie: Romney 'embarrassed' about VP vetting leak

Watch "The Lead with Jake Tapper" at 4 p.m. ET for our exclusive, sit-down interview with New Jersey Governor Chris Christie.

Sayreville, New Jersey (CNN) - New Jersey Governor Chris Christie said 2012 GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney called him immediately when news broke that someone had leaked details about last year's vice presidential vetting process.

"Mitt called me right away, and I could tell he was really embarrassed and outraged about it," Christie said Tuesday in an exclusive interview with CNN anchor and Chief Washington Correspondent Jake Tapper.

FULL STORY

Filed under: Chris Christie • Mitt Romney
  1. The Real Tom Paine

Well, after the Palin debacle of 2008, a leak was the least of the GOP's problems

November 5, 2013 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  2. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA -aka- Take Back The House -aka- No Redemption Votes

Whoever Willard chose as his running mate wouldn't have made the "47%" comments any less damaging.

November 5, 2013 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  3. Hooper

Romney, and the entire GOP need to feel embarrassment as well as shame for what they've done to the people of the nation. With the advent of the Bush years, came a decade of unneeded and ill advised laws that basically ruined a thriving economy.

November 5, 2013 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  4. Tampa Tim

So there pals again. What a relief.

November 5, 2013 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  5. Al-NY,NY

if by some miracle, Tubby makes it to the top of the ticket, he'll have to attach a "pure" candidate as the VP.......say goodbye Chris

November 5, 2013 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  6. Mike

Who actually cared??

November 5, 2013 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  7. Lynda/Minnesota

Mitt Romney embarrassed? If Christie believes this he is even more insecure than I thought.

November 5, 2013 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  8. Data Driven

ROMNEY is embarrassed? HA HA!

It's really cute that Tapper is spinning this into an outrage about the leak itself, instead of the substance of the leak, which is about Christie's ethical problems. Working with Obama on Sandy was the least of Christie's problems with the Romney campaign.

And, um, excuse me, Jake, since when is VP vetting a matter of national security? Isn't the use of the word "shocking" just a wee bit over the top? More to the point, isn't it in the public interest to know why Christie failed the vetting? The man's running in 2016. I'd like to know what the problem with him was; I couldn't care less about the "shocking" leak of it.

November 5, 2013 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  9. Dominican mama 4 Obama

They were concerned about his weight (understandable) and height???
    Was he too short, too tall?
    Were they concerned about the Abbot and Costello, Laurel and Hardy references, what??
    His height?
    "Never mind what lurks beneath...how does he look?!"
    No substance to these people.

November 5, 2013 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  10. Gurgyl

Said, done and gone. This dude will embarrass the whole nation just like Bush. Well, whoever he picked did not matter–the actual leakage was 47% comment and his idiocy of overconfidence.

November 5, 2013 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  11. Thomas

Fate can be just .

Imagine if Mitt Romney had picked Chris Christie for his VP . Hurricane Sandy would have given Mitt a boost and not a bust .

The race could have been much closer . Mitt is a bully , he is not a very excepting person . He had priors in prep school .

Chris Christie admits to having a weight problem , so dose 40% of America . Unfortunately most people can't afford the stomach sugary he was abel have . it's expensive and can cause more problems down the road .

November 5, 2013 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  12. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Data
    -------------------------------------------------
    You and I both babe.
    The "article" made mention of unauthorized travel expenses when he was state attorney general, if I remember correctly.
    Being at work I'm already "illegally" indulging by posting I don't have time to research it. Let me know what you dig up!

November 5, 2013 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  13. Gurgyl

@Hooper, God bless you!!!

November 5, 2013 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  14. Name jk. Sfl. GOP CRUZ lee&rubio 24billion dallar LOSS of your tax money conservatives,the garbage of America.

Romney failed his own veting being the tax cheat that he is and LIER!!!!!

November 5, 2013 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  15. Anonymous

Romney embarrassed by this? Not so much though when he called the President "dishonest", aka liar.
    Saying something about "rotting his second term". The rot is in the bavior of the Teapublicans.

Just like with the Kochs, money cannot buy Romney class, respect or character.

November 5, 2013 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  16. Hammerer

And NSA claims that they did not feed information to the Dems.
    Right?

November 5, 2013 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  17. Lynda/Minnesota

@ Data

"It's really cute that Tapper is spinning this into an outrage about the leak itself, instead of the substance of the leak, which is about Christie's ethical problems."

Trying to sell Chris Christie as a victim will be interesting to follow. Remarkably, the media actually thinks they can pull off his self aggrandizing victim-hood for him nationally.

November 5, 2013 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  18. Sniffit

Christie had ethics problems. Who cares why this was leaked, how this was leaked or even that it was leaked? Who cares that Mittens is embarrassed or outraged or even if he's freekin constipated?

Fact: Christie had ethics problems. You're going to hear that concept ALOT and you should.

November 5, 2013 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  19. Sniffit

"And NSA claims that they did not feed information to the Dems.
    Right?"

LOL! someone appears to have fed you shrooms.

November 5, 2013 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  20. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Lynda/Minnesota

-------------------------------------------------
    Okay my friend let me submit this to you: I see Romney as a really private person . I have stated previously only half in jest that Ann wanted to be in the White House more than Romney. That's the sense that I always got.
    So it is very possible that Romney was indeed embarrassed...just like he was embarrassed by Ann's lack of composure and looking like a totally desperate loser when she walked out on the stage the night of his concession speech.
    Is it just me?

November 5, 2013 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  21. Rudy NYC

Someone should ask Christie about the jobs numbers in New Jersey. They were bad before Sandy hit.

November 5, 2013 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  22. Lynda/Minnesota

@ Dominican mama:

"Is it just me?"

I can only speak for myself, but, no I don't see Romney as embarrassed. There are other Romney bullying factors that were reported from his earliest teenage years. In my opinion, Romney is ruthless AND naive all rolled into one character. From what has been reported of Romney, and while he absolutely loves his family (of that I have no doubt), I see him as a very troubled man internally.

I never thought about his embarrassment on election night being all Ann. I really do think he fooled himself into believing he was going to win. I also have never thought of Romney as ever thinking he could lose what it was he set his mind into wanting. She strokes that image, yes. But, his self made image of being invincible was there to be stroked from the get-go.

November 5, 2013 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  23. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Anybody else remember how the GOPers were going at each other during the primaries, and taking especially good shots at Romney....then all of a sudden the puppet masters sent out a memo that said "Hands off Mittens".....and the rest is GOPer history.
    I wonder if they will pull the same stunt and send out the same memo if out of sheer desperation and lacking anything resembling a viable candidate they decide to make Christie their next Great White Hope?

November 5, 2013 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  24. Hammerer

Snuffit,we both know what obomber feeds his minions!
    Right?

November 5, 2013 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  25. Lynda/Minnesota

@ Dominican mama 4 Obama
    -----------–

Similar to CNN now refusing to even breathe a hint of disarray of a GOP wallowing in it's self made cesspool?

Yeah. I remember.