Christie won't commit to serving full term in New Jersey
November 10th, 2013
12 months ago

Christie won't commit to serving full term in New Jersey

Washington (CNN) - Chris Christie won't say how long he'll spend as governor of New Jersey.
The newly re-elected governor said his focus is on his home state, but acknowledged he could prematurely leave the governor’s mansion to pursue his presidential ambitions.

When ABC's George Stephanopoulos asked Christie if he expected to serve all four years of his term as governor, Christie sidestepped the question.

"Who knows? I don’t know," the governor said.

Christie did insist that he wanted to "finish the job" in New Jersey, including helping the state to recover from the devastation wrought by Superstorm Sandy last year. Christie told CNN's Jake Tapper last week that the task is his "mission."

"Those images of those people and their suffering and their loss are with me every day," Christie told Tapper. "So, to finish that (recovery) is not a job. It's a mission, because it's sacred."

Christie hedged when Stephanopoulos asked whether or not he would get into the presidential race in 2016.

"I didn't expect to be sitting here four years ago," Christie said. "Nobody can make those predictions.”
Christie struck a different tone on another Sunday morning news program.

"What I'm interested in doing is being the governor of New Jersey," Christie told Chris Wallace on "Fox News Sunday."
Still, Christie did admit that "everybody's going to be speculating on what may come of my future."

Filed under: Chris Christie
  1. marcwinger.com

Christie is not a GOP frontrunner for '16. I've been hearing this from the liberal-biased media for a few weeks now. They're hoping so, doesn't make it so. Christie, his personality & his actions, don't translate, outside of NJ.
    He is loathed for chumming up to obama & for the overuse of his confrontation Jersey-style manner (lack of tact). It was fine for a hot minute, now he's considered a bore & discounted.

November 10, 2013 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  2. ThinkAgain: The GOP owes our nation $24 billion

At least he's being honest about it – unlike the Harpy from Alaska.

November 10, 2013 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  3. ThinkAgain: The GOP owes our nation $24 billion

If I'd voted for Christie, I'd feel like I wasted my vote. The guy's admitting up front NJ will be second fiddle for the next three years.

November 10, 2013 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  4. vic , nashville ,tn

GOP star is resurfacing BUT Tea party is the problem
    Republican ran against affordable care act in 2010 and 2012 today they are saying will run against affordable care act in 2014and 2016 so no new ideas or alternate plan for ACA
    Far right oppose immigration reform
    Far right oppose minimum wage raise that mean more people depend on food stamp
    Far right ideas will put Chris Christie in tough spot
    Will He run away form the base or run along with the base?

November 10, 2013 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  5. Winston Smith

Okay! You've been given a chance to better yourself. Do you take it, or stay in your present position? If you answered in any manner other than the obvious you are an impulsive liar. In the history of greed and need for authority there's never been a person man or woman, that's done any different. Be honest for once in your miserable lives.

November 10, 2013 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  6. Frank

I wonder how well it would have gone over had Christie included the 'won't commit to a full term' line is his stump speeches and commercials – before the voting – that is?

Sadly, I suspect for too many people it would've made no difference at all.

I'm not a fan of candidate pledges by a long shot. But serving out a full term – aside from health issues or misdeeds – might just be one I'm willing to support.

November 10, 2013 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  7. Randy, San Francisco

The citizens of New Jersey have been sold worthless snake oil from an overly ambitious politician without character or loyalty.

November 10, 2013 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  8. Peace

Journalists beware. You are used to rush to anyone, anywhere, anytime with your irritating questions. If you will do it to this man, he will either punch you on your faces OR discipline you and get scared to ask him any question. I can't wait to watch this free of charge film.

November 10, 2013 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  9. Gurgyl

This guy is a funny guy, a fickle minded. Not strong character. I pity this guy.

November 10, 2013 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  10. Stuffit

I gues the liberally biased media has decided that Christie is a threat to Hillary and must be destroyed.

November 10, 2013 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  11. Jeff Brown in Jersey

If he runs for President and loses, do we have to take him back in New Jersey?

November 10, 2013 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |