Poll: Obama approval ratings drop, Americans say he's not trustworthy
November 12th, 2013
9 months ago

Poll: Obama approval ratings drop, Americans say he's not trustworthy

Washington (CNN) - President Barack Obama's approval rating among American voters has dropped to its lowest number in Quinnipiac University polling since he became President, according to a survey released on Tuesday that also raised new doubts about trust.

As Obama juggles the bungled rollout of HealthCare.gov and questions over his initial promises about health care reform become magnified, only 39% of voters approve how he is handling his job, while 54% disapprove, the new data from the school's Polling Institute shows.

Approval numbers for the Affordable Care Act, better known as Obamacare, continue to illustrate wariness among American voters about health care reform, with only 19% saying they believe the quality of their health care will improve in the next year.

Forty-three percent say it will get worse, while 33% say the controversial law won't affect their health care, according to Quinnipiac.

Those numbers reflect less confidence in the law from a Gallup poll released in late October, when a quarter of Americans said they believed Obamacare would make things better, while 34% said it would make things worse and 36% said it would not make a big difference.

Poll: Disapproval of Congress at historic high

Also for the first time in Quinnipiac polling, more voters say the President is not trustworthy. The new survey was conducted last week and over the weekend, mostly after Obama offered an apology on Thursday to people who are losing their insurance because of changes from the federal health care law.

When selling health care reform in his first term, the President repeatedly assured Americans they could keep their plans, if they liked them. However, that has not turned out to be the case, with some Americans holding certain plans getting cancellation notices from their providers.

According to the poll, a majority of voters, 52%, say the President is not honest and trustworthy, compared to 44% who say the opposite. It's the first time in Quinnipiac history that the president's trustworthy numbers are underwater.

The Obama administration maintains that a majority of people who are losing their current plans will be better off under Obamacare, but officials and some members of Congress have pledged to seek some kind of solution for those getting dropped by their insurance provider.

Asked if the president knowingly deceived Americans with his promise, 46% of voters said they believe he made the statement on purpose, while 47% disagreed.

"President Obama's misstatement, 'If you like your health plan, you can keep it,' left a bad taste with a lot of people," Tim Malloy, assistant director of the Quinnipiac University Polling Institute, said in a statement.

Nearly three-quarters of voters favor extending the March 31 deadline to sign up for health insurance or face a penalty. Many Republican lawmakers in Congress, as well as some Democrats, have floated the idea of postponing the deadline to make up for lost time during the rocky rollout of HealthCare.gov since October 1.

The new Quinnipiac Poll is the latest to show the President's approval rating is declining amid the disastrous health care sign-up process.

Malloy said Obama, like all new presidents, had a "honeymoon" with American voters for the first few years of his presidency.

"As the marriage wore on, he kept his job approval scores in the respectable, though not overwhelming, 40s. Today, for the first time it appears that 40 percent floor is cracking," he said, adding that Obama's job approval rating has fallen to the level of former President George W. Bush at the same period of his Presidency.

While the President has a positive rating, 52%-42%, for how he handles terrorism, he gets negative ratings on foreign policy, immigration, the federal budget, and the economy. A majority of voters, 53%, say the Obama administration has not been competent in managing the U.S. government, according to Quinnipiac.

For the survey, Quinnipiac questioned 2,545 registered voters nationwide by telephone from November 6-11. The poll has a sampling error of plus or minus 1.9 percentage points.

Filed under: Obamacare • Polls • President Obama
  1. eddhur

everybody always shows there colors sooner or later

November 12, 2013 11:30 pm at 11:30 pm |
  2. MJ

I have never trusted him from day one because he lied about things long before he became President. I have never encountered someone so arrogant in my lifetime, let alone someone who is supposed to be our President.

November 12, 2013 11:30 pm at 11:30 pm |
  3. Kevin

Me president you must truly truly tell us the truth sir I will respect you know matter what comes out but it has to start with the truth sir please don't do this to some very good American people don't make us look like half the other countries on this earth we have always been a cut above when it came down to global respect. It is things like this that make us look like every other country , case in point the phillipines (sic) look what nation is there first as usual I don't want to lose that feeling and being dishonest with your on people will di it in a New York min. It's not to late mr president thank you.k

November 12, 2013 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  4. ron aaroen

I trust president Obama its the Gop I don't trust.

November 12, 2013 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  5. Realist

As a long time fed, the statement "the Obama administration has not been competent in managing the U.S. government" makes me laugh. A quick reading of Article 2 of the constitution is probably in order for every president, because quite frankly they are all pretty lousy at it. I don't know what it is about the urge to legislate from the oval office, but I would love nothing more than a president who did NOT have an "agenda" but was rather committed to making government function effectively. They'd get my vote in a heartbeat. (and pull us out of debt while they were at it!)

November 12, 2013 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  6. more2bits

Why in the world would anyone trust a narcissist like Hitler?

November 12, 2013 11:36 pm at 11:36 pm |
  7. ED1

Is it true the people are starting to wake up and see he does nothing but lie and could care less about nobody but #1 that would be Obama.

I can't understand why it took so long I guess some people would rather see this Country go down better than admitting they made a mistake.

November 12, 2013 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |
  8. sheshie

Liar, liar, pants on fire.

November 12, 2013 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |
  9. Evelyn Connaway

Bull – how many people did they really poll ?? A few and then use their actuary to figure their percentages. All the people I know that approved of him and voted for him twice, would vote for him again. Most of these polls are used and manipulated for the benefit of the GOP. I still believe in the old quote of Montaigne – "People are most apt to believe what they least understand. The don't read or research, just listen to all the rabid radical GOP propaganda. I haven't got a call from anyone taking polls on my telephone, e-mail or fax # in the last 10 years. Before then I got a calls nearly every month, asking what I thought about the President, various congressman and bills up for a vote. That was before Barack Obama became president. Maybe it's because they didn't always get the answers they were looking for. I wonder if they take a sampling of voting records of both democrats and republicans from each counties all over the US?

November 12, 2013 11:40 pm at 11:40 pm |
  10. Hal

I can't believe 39% of the people think this pathological liar is doing a good job.

November 12, 2013 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  11. Kevin Kavanaugh

I find it hard to believe that 47% of those polled see President Obama as trustworthy. Where did they get their sample? I want to meet those people and talk with them. Are they on drugs? Are they mentally deficient? President Obama lied to enable passage of a bill that will hurt many, many people. I think that could be considered an untrustworthy act if not a fraudulent act.

November 12, 2013 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  12. Devon

This is the result of a bill hurried through without anyone reading it. Although geared for poor americans, it has to be balanced out to help the middle class in order to make it work. Obama did lie several times about it, knowing the law would not pass without a lot more participation. Therefore all of these cancelled plans would insure people shopping on this new site. Unfortunately, since the site really doesn't work, millions of Americans will be uninsured in the meantime. Which is the direct opposite of what the bill was originally designed for. Let's face it folks, as it stands, other than the preexisting conditions, it's a bad bill.

November 12, 2013 11:46 pm at 11:46 pm |
  13. dan

Dear President Obama,
    My family is a hard working family and we can afford to pay for our own insurance plan, and have no problem paying taxes on it to pay for the families that cannot afford it. However, to our dismay, our insurance company told us that due to the healthcare laws they will not renew our plan. Mr. President, not only does my family have to be busy with my medical problems of helping me fight cancer and other medical conditions on a daily basis they now even have to scramble to find a new health plan that covers my doctors. With the inoperable healthcare websites, the ones that can't afford health insurance won't be able to get a plan, and with laws you passed, thousands of the hard working families that can afford the insurance won't be able to renew. That leaves more families in the USA than ever before without insurance!I and the rest of the USA are in more pain than ever before.

November 12, 2013 11:47 pm at 11:47 pm |
  14. Texas Tea

He is a joke and he always has been. He is in over his head. How could anyone vote for him,

November 12, 2013 11:48 pm at 11:48 pm |
  15. TruthSquad

Still 100 times better than GW Bush. The bodies are still piling up from HIS lies and unfunded, illegal wars. I'd vote Barry bin again, personally.

November 12, 2013 11:53 pm at 11:53 pm |
  16. Eugene9

And when the ACA kicks into fuller gear by spring, what will these polls say? Nobody likes the way the ACA has begun, but it's fixable, and it will benefit millions though not everybody-just like Medicare did. By next fall, the GOP will sorely regret putting all their weight on attacking the ACA.

November 12, 2013 11:53 pm at 11:53 pm |
  17. Anonymous

Very beneficial for my family members that have mental health issues and 'pre-existing' conditions. Not so much for me working for a small employer which is struggling to survive. I believe it is a good thing in the long run. Perhaps not for me, or the family business, but for the majority of the middle class, so we'll take the hit for the team. Hopefully, thousands of impoverished families will now have coverage, and I am certainly willing to sacrifice some comfortability for that fact alone. Also, I say thank you for trying to effect change in a wasteland of money in politics. You may not have achieved it, but you are my six year old's hero for trying. Old adages hold true, even in D.C. Walk softly and carry a big stick. Always try your best, act with integrity, and use your words. Good things will follow! Keep on truckin', Obama!

November 12, 2013 11:53 pm at 11:53 pm |
  18. Steve

Do I trust Obama? More than who?

November 12, 2013 11:54 pm at 11:54 pm |
  19. Wallaceboy

Don't you love the average American.It has taken them this long to figure this out. The guy is a jerk and his policy is poison. Thanks for listening five years ago….

November 12, 2013 11:54 pm at 11:54 pm |
  20. I told you so

another day another dollar

November 12, 2013 11:55 pm at 11:55 pm |
  21. Sam

I see nothing different about Obama???

November 12, 2013 11:55 pm at 11:55 pm |
  22. Steve M

The wording on about half the polling questions is appalling! They leave so much interpretation in the hands of the reader. I have very little confidence in the polling, as well as this article.

November 12, 2013 11:56 pm at 11:56 pm |
  23. John

I still trust him.

November 12, 2013 11:58 pm at 11:58 pm |
  24. NYClPOSTER

Gee, we "evil" conservatives have been telling you people this for the past 5 years. Just wait till you start digging into his past.

November 12, 2013 11:58 pm at 11:58 pm |
  25. nuclear mike

The President has earned the distrust of the American People and can never regain that trust....

November 12, 2013 11:59 pm at 11:59 pm |