Sen. Inhofe’s son killed in plane crash
November 12th, 2013
5 months ago

Sen. Inhofe’s son killed in plane crash

Updated 6:26 p.m. ET, 11/12/2013

(CNN) - The son of Sen. James Inhofe was killed in a plane crash on Sunday, the senator's office confirmed.

Dr. Perry Inhofe, an orthopedic surgeon, was killed when the plane he was aboard crashed near Owasso, Oklahoma.

Inhofe's office, while not releasing a comment from the family, sent out an email Tuesday with a statement from the Oklahoma Department of Public Safety confirming the identity of the victim.

The National Transportation Safety Board said the crash is currently under investigation.

Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel put out a statement on Monday expressing his condolences.

“I was deeply saddened to learn that Senator Jim Inhofe's son Perry was killed in a plane crash this weekend,” Hagel said.

“My thoughts and prayers are with Jim and Kay and their family as they mourn this terrible loss.”

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid and Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell expressed their condolences Tuesday from the Senate floor.

"I’d like to start with a word of sympathy about the heartbreaking loss of Kerry Inhofe, our colleague Jim Inhofe’s son killed in a plane crash on Sunday," McConnell said. "Of course we are all thinking of Jim and Kay and the heartfelt prayers of the entire senate family are with them and the entire Inhofe family at this very difficult time."

The Oklahoma Republican announced over the summer that he would seek reelection next year.

Filed under: Jim Inhofe
  1. GI Joe

It's God's will.

November 12, 2013 09:01 am at 9:01 am |
  2. Sonic10158

Condolences

November 12, 2013 09:05 am at 9:05 am |
  3. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA -aka- Take Back The House -aka- No Redemption Votes

Scandal. #OperationRemington

Cue right wing conspiracy theories.

November 12, 2013 09:06 am at 9:06 am |
  4. brnfream

Sor sorry for your loss, Senator and Mrs. I wish you peace.

November 12, 2013 09:07 am at 9:07 am |
  5. Blaine

Completely and totally disagree with his politics, but on this day thoughts and prayers go out to the Senator and his family.

November 12, 2013 09:08 am at 9:08 am |
  6. RachaelA

I can't imagine losing one of my children. My heart goes out to that entire family!

November 12, 2013 09:10 am at 9:10 am |
  7. Gotsumpnferya

My condolences to the families .
    If it was his plane , it was a Cessna 340A , registration N115EA , manufactured 1978

November 12, 2013 09:13 am at 9:13 am |
  8. Patriot

My thoughts and prayers are with Senator Inhofe and his family. Very sad.

November 12, 2013 09:15 am at 9:15 am |
  9. Rick

Hmmm the GOP and plane crash's.....

November 12, 2013 09:15 am at 9:15 am |
  10. 1-trupatriot

As my dear hard line christian reublican friend told me when he heard this yesterday, "once again the children paying the price for the sins of the father." Me, I say it was an unforeseen accident of unknown cause – for now. And no parent should have to bury a child. No matter who they are. I don't believe god makes some "pay a price" for anything others do in any manner.

November 12, 2013 09:17 am at 9:17 am |
  11. Tony in Maine

No one should have to bury a child. I can't imagine the pain.

November 12, 2013 09:18 am at 9:18 am |
  12. Mike in SA

Politics aside at a time like this. My sincere condolences.

November 12, 2013 09:18 am at 9:18 am |
  13. Data Driven

As with all CNN stories these days, you have to look up the details elsewhere.

All they tell us here is that the son of a congressman died in a plane crash. We don't if he was the pilot, what kind of plane it is - for all we know more were killed. Was it a jumbo jet? Who knows?

Sure I can look it up elsewhere if I care to - I don't, particularly - but it's just symptomatic of this network's utter lack of professional standards.

November 12, 2013 09:18 am at 9:18 am |
  14. krehator

"As with all CNN stories these days, you have to look up the details elsewhere.

All they tell us here is that the son of a congressman died in a plane crash. We don't if he was the pilot, what kind of plane it is – for all we know more were killed. Was it a jumbo jet? Who knows?

Sure I can look it up elsewhere if I care to – I don't, particularly – but it's just symptomatic of this network's utter lack of professional standards."

Then don't come here. Why do you come here? Just to complain?

November 12, 2013 09:24 am at 9:24 am |
  15. D.Smith

My thoughts and prayers go out to his family! It's sad to loose a child, this is bigger than politics.

November 12, 2013 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  16. Data Driven

@krehator,

"Then don't come here. Why do you come here? Just to complain?"

LOL! - Yes!

November 12, 2013 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  17. Anonymous

I'm sorry but why does his son matter anymore than the others on the plane? I'm sure several others were involved in this accident but because he is the son of a member of the worst government we've had in 200 years it gets headlines.

November 12, 2013 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  18. Tmyres77

Sincere condolences to the Inhofe family – thinking of Katy at this time and praying for her and her family.

November 12, 2013 09:27 am at 9:27 am |
  19. CalKar

According to FoxNews, the plane that Perry Inhofe was flying Sunday was a 1974 Mitsubishi MU-2B-25, a fixed-wing, multi-engine aircraft

November 12, 2013 09:28 am at 9:28 am |
  20. GonzoinHouston

Political differences are irrelevant at a time like this. We're all sorry, Senator.

November 12, 2013 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  21. LeRoy Johnson

Why is Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel putting out a statement? Did we shoot the plane down for practice?

November 12, 2013 09:35 am at 9:35 am |
  22. snotfair

My sympathy & prayers 2 the Senator & his family. The pain must be surreal & life is forever changed.

November 12, 2013 09:35 am at 9:35 am |
  23. Alina77

Horrible loss! My condolences.

November 12, 2013 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  24. SUSAN DRUSS

I hate this man's politics but my heart and sincerest condolences go out to him and his family. So sorry for your pain.

November 12, 2013 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  25. Fair is Fair

You know, no matter who the parent was, I would never preface my condolences with "I hate your politics – sorry for your loss".

I pray for you to find strenght, Senator.

November 12, 2013 09:45 am at 9:45 am |