Sen. Inhofe’s son killed in plane crash
November 12th, 2013
9 months ago

Sen. Inhofe’s son killed in plane crash

Updated 6:26 p.m. ET, 11/12/2013

(CNN) - The son of Sen. James Inhofe was killed in a plane crash on Sunday, the senator's office confirmed.

Dr. Perry Inhofe, an orthopedic surgeon, was killed when the plane he was aboard crashed near Owasso, Oklahoma.

Inhofe's office, while not releasing a comment from the family, sent out an email Tuesday with a statement from the Oklahoma Department of Public Safety confirming the identity of the victim.

The National Transportation Safety Board said the crash is currently under investigation.

Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel put out a statement on Monday expressing his condolences.

“I was deeply saddened to learn that Senator Jim Inhofe's son Perry was killed in a plane crash this weekend,” Hagel said.

“My thoughts and prayers are with Jim and Kay and their family as they mourn this terrible loss.”

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid and Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell expressed their condolences Tuesday from the Senate floor.

"I’d like to start with a word of sympathy about the heartbreaking loss of Kerry Inhofe, our colleague Jim Inhofe’s son killed in a plane crash on Sunday," McConnell said. "Of course we are all thinking of Jim and Kay and the heartfelt prayers of the entire senate family are with them and the entire Inhofe family at this very difficult time."

The Oklahoma Republican announced over the summer that he would seek reelection next year.

Filed under: Jim Inhofe
  1. Richard

Yes, we should give the senator condolences on the passing of his son. After all he was a senators son and the senator should be able to grieve without people saying things like, "his policies have hurt a lot of poor and middle class people", but it's okay because no one knows those people so why should we care about them and their feeling! We really need to feel bad for the senator, after all he does so much for the RICH!!!!

November 12, 2013 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  2. Ken in MO

So sorry for your loss Senator. May God bless your family and your son.

November 12, 2013 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  3. MaryM

Condolences to the Senator and his family.

November 12, 2013 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  4. Brian Smith

Hagel was the senator's son's best friend, of course....

November 12, 2013 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  5. indianagal516

how crass some of these posts are...no matter what he has or hasn't done for YOU, no one should ever have to mourn the loss of their child...my nephew died when he was barely six...I hope none of you cruel people ever have to endure what my sister, her husband, and our family had to endure

November 12, 2013 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  6. MSB

Note also that the Senator was actively involved in aviation – both as a pilot and legislatively.

November 12, 2013 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  7. perilous

Regardless of this man's politics, he lost his son in a horrible accident. We are humans before we are anything else. It makes us worse than the people we speak against if we behave in such a barbaric manner as to suggest that any person deserves to suffer the loss of their child through no fault of their own. I am an atheist, a Socialist democrat, a progressive liberal, and I despise Senator Inhofe's politics, but I am a thinking, feeling human being before I am anything else.

My heart goes out to this man and his family for their terrible, terrible loss.

November 12, 2013 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  8. Splat

I guess this comment section is like a car wreck...you shouldn't look but you just do anyway. If we ever wonder what is wrong with our society, we have many exhibits here. Mean spirited condolences speak to one's honor.

November 12, 2013 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  9. Sue

All politics aside. I am very sorry for the loss of your son. It is true, no parent should have to bury their child. My prayers are with you and your family.

November 12, 2013 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  10. Partisan politician

The man lost his son. Leave your partisan politics OUT of this discussion.

-A Dem

November 12, 2013 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  11. loving it

LeRoy Johnson

Why is Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel putting out a statement? Did we shoot the plane down for practice?

Maybe since they served together in the Senate, they may have been friends?

Condolences to the family.

November 12, 2013 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  12. tony

My mother-in-law has so far lost her husband, one son, one daughter, out of three children, two grandchildren out of five, but she's not wealthy and so that's not newsworthy.

November 12, 2013 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  13. John

Why no mention of the other victims? Were they not important enough? My thoughts and prayers go out to ALL the victims and families, not just the one because he's a senators son.

November 12, 2013 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  14. ralph

My condolences to you family.

May the flying spaghetti monster bless your family.

November 12, 2013 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  15. GreggEsq2000

While Senator Inhofe may not be much of a human being those who would attack the man on a message board relating to the loss of his child or even worse take pleasure in his loss are even lesser human beings.

November 12, 2013 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  16. :(...

Well that's sad. Not as sad as the thousands and thousands of men, women and children dying from a massive typhoon fueled by climate change, but still sad.

November 12, 2013 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  17. Malory Archer

GreggEsq2000

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Nobody's taking "pleasure in his loss" so put the strawman away please.

November 12, 2013 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  18. Joe

I'm ashamed to breathe the same air as some of the posters above.

November 12, 2013 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  19. GKamburoff

Sincere condolences for their loss.

November 12, 2013 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  20. Carlos

How about leave politics out of this? A man is grieving having lost his son in a tragic accident.. any parent who has lost a child will empathize.

November 12, 2013 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  21. Tammy

Senator James Inhofe has served the people of Oklahoma for many years. I receive annual Christmas cards from the Senator and have watched his family grow considerably over the past 25 years. I know Perry is/was a blessing to his family and will be greatly missed. Thoughts and prayers to the Senator, his family, and his staff.

November 12, 2013 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  22. Snarky MacFee

My condolences. No pain on earth like losing a child! Just plan human agony for ANYONE whether they are lost in a typhoon or in a plane crash. Sad to see some don't think before they type.

November 12, 2013 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  23. Noname

I have lost 2 sons ...I wouldn't wish that hell on my worst enemy.......Sincere condolences to the Senator and his family.

November 12, 2013 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  24. CitizenJP

Deepest condolences to the Senator as well as all the victims' families for their irrecoverable losses.
    – from always a human, mostly a democrat, hardly ever a republican.

November 12, 2013 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  25. Woman In California

Maybe Inhofe will look at this tragedy in a different perspective and become a better person because of it. Only time will tell.

November 12, 2013 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |