Obama offers fix for canceled health plans
November 14th, 2013
8 months ago

Obama offers fix for canceled health plans

– Obama: Government will tell insurers they can extend, through 2014, individual-market plans that otherwise would be canceled under Obamacare.
– But president notes not all state insurance commissioners may agree to extensions. Companies have a say, too.
– Some providers had been dropping customers because their existing policies don't work with new Obamacare regulations.
– Insurance trade group: Changing the rules now could result in higher premiums.
– Updates below. Also, see the full story.

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Humanity

Brian, You make so much sense
    I could not agree with you more.
    The opposition party sees their success in the failure of Obama
    Please help Obama complete the work that he has undertaken vs stalling the progress
    This is not the America we came here for.

November 14, 2013 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  2. I'malib

This better not hurt my food stamps.

November 14, 2013 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  3. Aaa comment.

What about "if you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor"? Many company sponsored plans have changed and many are losing their doctors as a result!!!

November 14, 2013 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  4. Jacob

Its amazing to see the blame put on the GOP still. You people do realize that all their attempts to do away with ACA had absolutely ZERO impact on the problems they are experiencing now right? But, by all means, please tell me how all that fighting and posturing made the contracting company build a non-working website. Im not even a Republican and all the blame game antics are old and sickening.

November 14, 2013 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  5. Aim4TheFace

Just to make sure I understand: A LOT of people are upset that their current plan was substandard and being forced to update to cover minimal things?? Are you also upset that insurance companies were spending 13 cents on the dollar towards treatment for you and the rest goes to shareholders?? One guy said he liked the part where his parents keep him on their insurance but he doesn't want it when HE has to pay?? REALLY?? But he's willing to go to ER with NO insurance so I can pay for him...how sweet!! How about everyone reading what their current policy covers and what the alternatives are?? You might be surprised as opposed to just listening to what some guy's cousin's sister's neighbor's dog's play date owner said to another person in 7-11....

November 14, 2013 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  6. Kendo

May be the first honest thing he's ever said.

November 14, 2013 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  7. We're on a road to no where

I'm wondering when the voice of family's like mine will begin chiming in; we are a working family who, after our bills are paid, have a little bit extra each month to set aside into a savings account. We have no where near enough to put into our savings account AND pay a health insurance premium. Government-sponsored exchanges aren't going to improve my working family's monthly financial situation much more than the current monthly cost of independent health coverage plans. I am not foolish enough to think that a "voucher" or "asistance" is any kind of saving grace. Money doesn't grow on trees where I live like it seems to in D.C., I guess. So the gov't is going to cut me some slack and give me a tax credit to make up the difference ?!? That's not progress, people!
    The way I see it at the moment:
    1. The U.S. Gov't is telling me it is more important for me to gamble my "after bills" money than put it in a savings account where I would rather it be. That's crazy to me.
    2. I don't see how the ACA makes healthcare much more affordable after you honestly factor everything into the equation.
    3. A person should have the right to decide what is best for their family and future; not a corrupted group of politicians. We are not talking about seat belt laws, licensing, and the like so the apologist need not even go there.

Sadly, the little bit extra my family sets aside each month for a rainy day will be forcefully taken away in the form of a ACA penalty so the President can keep his blessed legacy legislation intact. Makes me sad and angry, and I know those families in a similar situation as us are probably thinking the same thing.

November 14, 2013 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  8. Jack

I've never used the N word before, especially towards a President, but feel it's warranted this time.

We have the most Negligent leader of the free world. There, I said it.

November 14, 2013 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  9. John

I am 40 years old healthy male. I choose to pay out of pocket via a pre-tax health savings account for predictable health care expenses each year. I have very comprehensive health care available at work, but having done this for many years, I know that I pay less in total each year by combining out-of-pocket with a catastrophic coverage plan. I shop around for the best deal for my predictable health care needs. If more people did this, the cost of care would decline. Try paying cash for your next doctor's visit and see how it feels. It's painful. We need to let the free market work. What we have today is not "insurance"...Insurance is for the unexpected. Much of your health care is predictable. We need to decouple the expected from the unexpected and provide people a way to pay directly out of their pocket for the stuff they *know* will happen.

November 14, 2013 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  10. msindependent

Pure Chaos. This is Fascism that we have right now, with the President dictating what private insurance companies have to do.

Maybe its time we look into those "sealed records" of his?

November 14, 2013 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  11. Fr S C

Total failure.

November 14, 2013 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  12. Christian Grey

How can the president change the law? Why do we have a congress if all we need is one man that changes the law when ever he wants to. Impeach him period

November 14, 2013 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  13. Sniffit

"Many company sponsored plans have changed and many are losing their doctors as a result!!!"

That happens all the time and was happening all the time prior to the ACA. The specific issue here is the 3% of the public that was buying insurance that was so ridiculously substandard that it essentially amounted to, well, non-insurance. This was damaging to the economy, causing personal bankruptcies, and greatly contributed to skyrocketing health care costs (i.e., everyone else having to pay for their health care because their non-insurance denied coverage for almost everything). Those companies now have to change the plans they offer to meet minimum standards or decide they just don't want to be in the business anymore (seems to me that if all they were offering was non-insurance, then they really didn't want to be in the business in the first place).

November 14, 2013 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  14. Frediano

Half a million pushed onto MEDICAID so far. That's gonna work.

November 14, 2013 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |