November 18th, 2013
10 months ago

Ann Romney weighs in on election loss, health care and pancakes

(CNN) - Ann Romney said she and her husband, 2012 GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney, had their shot at the White House and it's now time for others to take on the challenge–but didn't totally rule out another run for office.

"We had our turn, we gave it our all," she said in an interview that aired Monday on CNN's "New Day." "Now I feel like it's time to pass the baton on to someone else…I'm looking at my children and I'm thinking they've got to step up. Other generations have to now step up and take over."

"So we'll see, you know you never rule out everything," she added. "But really I don't believe we'll have that opportunity again."

Asked who she'd like to see run in 2016, Ann Romney mentioned Mitt Romney's 2012 running mate, Rep. Paul Ryan, as well as New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie and former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush as some of many "qualified, capable people."

One year after the election loss, the Romneys have recently been promoting Ann's new book, "The Romney Family Table," a book that shares recipes and memoirs.

While Ann Romney seems ready to move on from election politics, she still said she'd rather be in the White House with her husband right now rather than back in private life. Mitt, she argued, would be better at handling the economy and the Obamacare rollout debacle.

"I really just would like to be there, I would like to see Mitt there. There are so many things that I would like to have seen been addressed right now," she told CNN's Kate Bolduan.

Romney on Obamacare promise: ‘It was not honest’

On a more light-hearted note, Romney's book includes a recipe for pancakes–the same dish she made for the couple's Secret Service details the morning after Romney lost the election.

"It's a comfort food, and we needed comfort," she said. "My detail had become enormously close friends of ours and we loved them and it was sad moment...So for me, it was just like what do I do? I got to get in the kitchen and cook."

Filed under: 2012 • 2016 • Ann Romney
  1. RomneyWho

Ok, Bye-Bye . . . :(

November 18, 2013 08:46 am at 8:46 am |
  2. Tony

Good thing she is not losing her insurance, because Massachusetts has the original Obamacare– Romneycare.

November 18, 2013 08:50 am at 8:50 am |
  3. Rudy NYC

No more CEOs in the White House, please. They make terrible Presidents. It seems that the richer they are, they worse they are Look it up. We have had a handful of former CEOs make it to the Whtie House. All of their administrations have been rife with self-inflicted economic problems. Two recent examples are Bush-41 and Bush-43.

November 18, 2013 08:51 am at 8:51 am |
  4. Name jk. Sfl. GOP CRUZ lee&rubio 24billion dallar LOSS of your tax money conservatives,the garbage of America.

Sorry for your loss, but the party you represent is going nowhere fast and has no future or new ideas and lies to much to ever be in the whitehouse!!!!

November 18, 2013 09:04 am at 9:04 am |
  5. Thomas

Not again.

Now she is pushing her son Tagg . Also , Romney ran twice , not once .

The tale of how Mayer Rothschild and his five sons established an international banking dynasty from their humble beginnings.

Modern day Rothschilds

November 18, 2013 09:08 am at 9:08 am |
  6. Dominican mama 4 Obama

"I really just would like to be there, I would like to see Mitt there.
    -------------------------------------------------
    Notice how she put herself first.
    I've said and maintain that the White House ambitions burned hotter and brighter in Queen Ann's heart than in the candidate himself.
    Not gonna happen for you Ann.
    You'll never know what it is like to bake cakes in the White House kitchen.

November 18, 2013 09:19 am at 9:19 am |
  7. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA -aka- Take Back The House -aka- No Redemption Votes

I'm looking at my children and I'm thinking they've got to step up.
    -----------------------------------------
    Your trust fund babies have nothing to offer us 47%'ers and middle class folk. As far as Christie, he's too fat & rude to be President and we are not electing any more Bush's. Now Queen Ann, you and Willard go hibernate somewhere.

November 18, 2013 09:22 am at 9:22 am |
  8. Southeast

Who cares Anne ?

November 18, 2013 09:24 am at 9:24 am |
  9. rs

Until the GOP regains its equilibrium, neither Mr.Romney, or any other GOP/TP member has much hope at winning the presidency. Their politics are simply too poisonous, radical and destructive at the moment.

November 18, 2013 09:24 am at 9:24 am |
  10. Al-NY,NY

it's not "Let them eat pancakes" Queen Ann....it's just "let them eat cake." Go back to your car elevator in LaJolla and get those 47% "moochers" that you hired to do your lawn, your cleaning, and your cooking back to where they belong since they won't self-deport

November 18, 2013 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  11. Sandy

______________

I'm so sick of Mitt Romney and Marie Antoinette! Why does CNN keep throwing them in our faces? Remember people, there would be NO healthcare reform AT ALL if Romney had won the presidency! Kids under 26 would be on their own and off their parents health insurance, denial for pre-existing conditions would still be legal, etc. No, life would not be better with Romney in power, only worse.

November 18, 2013 09:28 am at 9:28 am |
  12. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA -aka- Take Back The House -aka- No Redemption Votes

"I really just would like to be there, I would like to see Mitt there."
    ------------------------------------------–
    Well some things you're not entitled to Queen Ann. Get over it already!!!

November 18, 2013 09:28 am at 9:28 am |
  13. MaryM

No one cares about queen ann.

November 18, 2013 09:35 am at 9:35 am |
  14. Mr Dalloway

Queen Ann has been dethroned

November 18, 2013 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  15. Denise

Go away please.......shouldn't you get a head start on your Thanksgiving feast for your five creepy sons and their silver spoon fed children? So many cookies to make, so many carys to buy, so many interior designers to meet with and soooo little time!

November 18, 2013 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  16. king

all we've herd from the repubs for the past 5 years is that oamacare will destroy the economy because it takes up 1/6 of it. but all i see is deficits dropping, markets exploding in opposite direction, month after month after month of job creations, when will the world ends repubs? lessen folks, obamacare is the only job attractor left in America. if the repubs destroy this job attractor that is creating millions and millions of customers every month, i wonder where all these companies going to do when the customers stop coming.

November 18, 2013 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  17. Never Gone' Happen MittensRobme

Hey Mrs. Etch-a-sketch $70000-tax-deductions for your therapeutic dressage horse and your pipe dream of being in the White House and put that in your cookbook recipe and SMOKE IT in the oven!

Never gone' happen bimbo-stepford wife!!!

November 18, 2013 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  18. Fair is Fair

Ahhhh... nothing like an Ann Romney story to get the trolls foaming at the mouth to start the week. What next? Sarah Palin? Ted Cruz?

November 18, 2013 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  19. ST

Am sorry, I just read only the heading and didn't read the full text. We are tired already seeing all these kind of recycling news. These people their time came and went. They have nothing to offer any more. Does it make really any sense to bring them every now and then? Please media, do your work as you are supposed to do. Help the people and not only yourselves counting hours of work. Should we put you in a group of do nothing like Congress?

November 18, 2013 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  20. T

.......and just while she spoke, her after tax returns were about $142,000.............................

November 18, 2013 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  21. Sniffit

Nobody cares.

November 18, 2013 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  22. Sniffit

Weighs in? This is fluff. It's weightless.

November 18, 2013 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  23. John B. Mordecai

For crying out loud, this drives me crazy. I think of the SLC winter Olympics and how it was steeped in deficit and corruption (probably like most Olympics, actually) and how Mitt Romney came in and made it a phenomenal success. Then I think, "steeped in deficit and corruption" that's just like the mess our country is in currently. Then I read about Ann making breakfast for their secret service detail and it's heart breaking.

November 18, 2013 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  24. roro

Who the heck cares what this rich, pampered, elitist woman thinks about anything. Go to one of your many houses driving one of your many cars, and shut up.

November 18, 2013 10:44 am at 10:44 am |