November 19th, 2013

Congressman charged with cocaine possession

Washington (CNN) - Rep. Trey Radel is due in D.C. superior court Wednesday, charged with misdemeanor cocaine possession after an October 29 arrest, according to court documents.

The 37 year-old Florida Republican is serving his first term in Congress after winning office last November.

A spokesman for the U.S. Attorney's office said Tuesday that the charges come with a maximum 180 day imprisonment and/or $1,000 fine.

“I'm profoundly sorry to let down my family, particularly my wife and son, and the people of Southwest Florida," Radel said in a statement released by his office. "I struggle with the disease of alcoholism, and this led to an extremely irresponsible choice. As the father of a young son and a husband to a loving wife, I need to get help so I can be a better man for both of them.”

“However, this unfortunate event does have a positive side. It offers me an opportunity to seek treatment and counseling. I know I have a problem and will do whatever is necessary to overcome it, hopefully setting an example for others struggling with this disease.”

Radel is a former journalist and TV news anchor.

"Members of Congress should be held to the highest standards, and the alleged crime will be handled by the courts," a spokesman for House Speaker John Boehner said in a statement. "Beyond that, this is between Rep. Radel, his family, and his constituents."

–CNN's Deirdre Walsh, Alison Harding and Greg Seaby contributed to this report.

Filed under: Congress
  1. Ignomious

It's like a scene straight out of House of Cards. A congressman with an alcohol problem and is caught with cocaine.

November 20, 2013 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  2. Malory Archer

milguy

The people who serve as the checks and balances for my CINC are allowed to engage in this type of behavior and remain at their post. I'm a lowly enlisted guy, and if I engaged in these activities, I would receive a bad-conduct discharge, lose all my benefits, not be allowed to vote...a man without a country.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Right on Babe, and your command would do everything in its power to blame YOU for your superiors' engaging in the same/worse activities. Been there, seen that.

November 20, 2013 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  3. Malory Archer

"does anyone care if their local 7/11 clerk uses?"

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Until such time as my local 7/11 clerk is elected and starts writing policy, no. However, should my local 7/11 clerk be elected and start writing policy, then I expect him/her to be as pure as Caesar's wife.

November 20, 2013 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  4. Really?

MeanOldMan-If this was Obama or any democrat in senate or the house the screams for their removal from the right would be deafening but when it's one of their own....
    _____________________
    Ah Obama has already admitted to doing cocaine my dear. Are u going to call for his removal?

November 20, 2013 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  5. Malory Archer

barbra k

He may even be a tea party member.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I don't know if he's a member of the teabag toddlers, but we do have them to thank for putting him in office.

November 20, 2013 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  6. John

As a republican and a supporter of the Tea Party I think Trey Radel should be hit with the Max 180 day and the fine as well as being removed from office. To me republican or democrat does not matter. These people hold position of power where they right the laws of the land and should be held to the letter of the law and to it's highest standard.

The position they hold should not give them special treatment on the contrary the must be held accoutable at all times for this actions.

November 20, 2013 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  7. Malory Archer

Really?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Only if he's arrested for posession while he's president.

November 20, 2013 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  8. Me

Matt

We need to have manditory drug testing for anyone the runs for federal office.
    _______________
    Agreed, if everyone else has to get tested for employment why wouldn't they!!! Of course I think America just needs to legalize drugs you can’t win the war on drugs so why not regulate it and use money from the sales to HELP/treat people in need!

November 20, 2013 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  9. Rhino1

It's real funny how these politicians will set the rules/laws for everyone but themselves. We need to vote out these numbskulls out and get the laws changed so when we have a politician lie to us take a bribe or get caught with drugs they face the same as the man on the street. Remove this dumb a$$ from office and drug test the rest and remove the ones that fail. All he will have to do is get on television and cry and everything will be ok.
    We are the problem for tolerating this BS!

November 20, 2013 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  10. Me

CHUCK

Good for him that he has insurance to pay for treatment...he voted to deny it for millions of uninsured Americans..
    ______________
    Yep him and the VAST MAJORITY of America does not want Obamacare but you keep drinking the kool-aid buddy!

November 20, 2013 11:07 am at 11:07 am |