November 19th, 2013

Congressman charged with cocaine possession

Washington (CNN) - Rep. Trey Radel is due in D.C. superior court Wednesday, charged with misdemeanor cocaine possession after an October 29 arrest, according to court documents.

The 37 year-old Florida Republican is serving his first term in Congress after winning office last November.

A spokesman for the U.S. Attorney's office said Tuesday that the charges come with a maximum 180 day imprisonment and/or $1,000 fine.

“I'm profoundly sorry to let down my family, particularly my wife and son, and the people of Southwest Florida," Radel said in a statement released by his office. "I struggle with the disease of alcoholism, and this led to an extremely irresponsible choice. As the father of a young son and a husband to a loving wife, I need to get help so I can be a better man for both of them.”

“However, this unfortunate event does have a positive side. It offers me an opportunity to seek treatment and counseling. I know I have a problem and will do whatever is necessary to overcome it, hopefully setting an example for others struggling with this disease.”

Radel is a former journalist and TV news anchor.

"Members of Congress should be held to the highest standards, and the alleged crime will be handled by the courts," a spokesman for House Speaker John Boehner said in a statement. "Beyond that, this is between Rep. Radel, his family, and his constituents."

–CNN's Deirdre Walsh, Alison Harding and Greg Seaby contributed to this report.

Filed under: Congress
  1. smith

Bye bye Radel, there is no place for drug users in congress.

November 19, 2013 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  2. Zolicon

I wonder if He got His supply from the same dealer as the Mayor of Toronto's Fob Ford got His supply ?

November 19, 2013 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  3. cpc65

He's be hanging out with Mayor Ford. Cut him some slack!

November 19, 2013 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  4. Matt

We need to have manditory drug testing for anyone the runs for federal office.

November 19, 2013 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  5. Sniffit

I swear officer....I had no idea what it was...I just had to snort it to find out what was in it....

November 19, 2013 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  6. justin cerveny

Meanwhile some black guy is getting 20 years for less and is looked down upon.

November 19, 2013 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  7. David

Go to love them Republican Family Values!

November 19, 2013 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  8. bence

I guess all the lawmakers are going to get on dope and booze. We can all go to hell together

November 19, 2013 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  9. Anonymous

He should run for Mayor of Toronto next term

November 19, 2013 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  10. Toddwaddell

When Johnny down the street does it he's a no good drug addict that needs put in jail. When a congressman does it it's an "unfortunate event that does have a positive side" Our country is further screwed up beyond repair.

November 19, 2013 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  11. Duck Fallas

That's nice, but does he have enough to eat at home?

November 19, 2013 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  12. Anonymous

what a standard "I'm Sorry (but not really, i just got caught)" response

November 19, 2013 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  13. BunchofBS

since when has possesion of cocaine been a misdemeanor?

November 19, 2013 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  14. gregdougall

You're FIRED.

November 19, 2013 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  15. Scott

Trey Radel is a joke and should resign. He feels unfortunate only because he got caught.

November 19, 2013 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  16. Andrew

Another Florida family value republican two-faced liar and cheat. This is what the Florida republican politicians do until they get caught.

November 19, 2013 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  17. Ed Haskell

Call Rob Ford

November 19, 2013 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  18. suzieq

HAAAAAHA! Oh my – this is the best!

November 19, 2013 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  19. Michael F.

Ha ha ha...Republican VALUES! Ha ha ha...

November 19, 2013 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  20. MH

I believe a mayor just got all his powers stripped for being caught on camera with a form of cocaine. This man should go ahead and relieve himself of all political duties... but will he? absolutely not. Will we make him step down... Nope. Our country and government is a joke. This man was not just caught on camera, but arrested. Now hes going to use his political powers to make this all go away. GO USA!

November 19, 2013 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  21. Bob Dobalina

Good gawd.... could this be Mayor Rob Fords cousin from the south???

November 19, 2013 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  22. Arthur

So why do all our elected officials not have to past drug tests? Get a Job at Walmart for under wage and you have to pee in the cup! Not FAIR!

November 19, 2013 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  23. bjjschecter

How can one be a law maker and break the law? Kick this clown out.

November 19, 2013 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  24. John

How do these drug dependent types always get elected?

November 19, 2013 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |