November 19th, 2013

Congressman charged with cocaine possession

Washington (CNN) - Rep. Trey Radel is due in D.C. superior court Wednesday, charged with misdemeanor cocaine possession after an October 29 arrest, according to court documents.

The 37 year-old Florida Republican is serving his first term in Congress after winning office last November.

A spokesman for the U.S. Attorney's office said Tuesday that the charges come with a maximum 180 day imprisonment and/or $1,000 fine.

“I'm profoundly sorry to let down my family, particularly my wife and son, and the people of Southwest Florida," Radel said in a statement released by his office. "I struggle with the disease of alcoholism, and this led to an extremely irresponsible choice. As the father of a young son and a husband to a loving wife, I need to get help so I can be a better man for both of them.”

“However, this unfortunate event does have a positive side. It offers me an opportunity to seek treatment and counseling. I know I have a problem and will do whatever is necessary to overcome it, hopefully setting an example for others struggling with this disease.”

Radel is a former journalist and TV news anchor.

"Members of Congress should be held to the highest standards, and the alleged crime will be handled by the courts," a spokesman for House Speaker John Boehner said in a statement. "Beyond that, this is between Rep. Radel, his family, and his constituents."

–CNN's Deirdre Walsh, Alison Harding and Greg Seaby contributed to this report.

Filed under: Congress
  1. john traas

another bad apple in congress.AT LEAST HE DID NOT STEAL !

November 19, 2013 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  2. krowbar

I believe this will fall under the "it's OK if you are a Republican" rule. He'll get a free pass form FAUX News, and already has by Boener.

November 19, 2013 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  3. CHUCK

Good for him that he has insurance to pay for treatment...he voted to deny it for millions of uninsured Americans..

November 19, 2013 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  4. sonkarlay

Wow How can that be a republican congress man

November 19, 2013 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  5. Wire Palladin, S.F.

That's our congressman. What a worthless tool. Time for him to go.

November 19, 2013 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  6. dan

And another thread comes loose in the un-raveling of the GOP.

November 19, 2013 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  7. awdawd

Typical response. "I'm sorry (not really, I'm sorry I got caught)"

November 19, 2013 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  8. ma

OOOH GOPers. Hypocrytes at best.

November 19, 2013 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  9. MikeB

The question is, how can anyone ever start using something like this?
    Everyone always wants to apologize and of course that makes everything better.
    And their attorney will always assure everyone they're really a good guy, woman, or idiot as the case might be.
    I'm done, let's hope he is too.

November 19, 2013 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  10. Jack

Now would be the appropriate time to resign and do all that's needed to recover.

November 19, 2013 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  11. bilbfit

Wow, bad day for legislative types.

November 19, 2013 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  12. Wire Palladin, S.F.

Trey is a tea bagger who has voted against Florida workers, seniors, veterans, farmers, students, the poor, minorities and children.

November 19, 2013 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  13. Data Driven

She don't lie
    She don't lie
    She don't lie

Cocaine ...

November 19, 2013 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  14. Jerry

Wait, a Republican? You mean the "Cross Your Legs until you're Married" and "Just say 'NO'" type? Truly surprising.

November 19, 2013 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  15. magicpanties

typical GOP hypocrite

November 19, 2013 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  16. Bob

Republican. Conservative. Christian.

Adamantly opposed to national healthcare - everyone should just buy their own coke.

November 19, 2013 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  17. Michelle

Since when is Cocaine a misdemeanor....?

November 19, 2013 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  18. Four Two

Looks like Canada isn't the only one with dopers for politicians.

November 19, 2013 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  19. nnnnnnnnn

Well, everyone does cocaine. Who cares. And CNN stop asking for my email your friends at the NSA can tell you if you care so much.

November 19, 2013 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  20. Reckless

So will the GOP call for him to resign?

November 19, 2013 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  21. J-Man

There are 2 sides of this. I would have expected this to be a Democrat not a Republican. I expect much better from Republicans. Secondly, on the positive side this guy took responsibility for his bad decision which as far as I can tell no Democrat has ever done. Charlie Rangel is as dirty as they get and fought his charges in the Senate. He said that they were coming after him because he was black. No Charlie they came after you because you misused funds and had an office in a rent controlled area. Both are stealing, no matter what color your skin is.

November 19, 2013 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  22. Rob Ford

Phew! The spotlight was getting hot

November 19, 2013 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  23. works4me

Who pays his very expensive rehab tab?? We do...

November 19, 2013 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  24. Carlos Danger

I hope that situations like these facilitate a better understanding of the difference in treatment for white and minority drug offenders in the US.

November 19, 2013 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  25. Alex

To bad the congressman won't get same sentence as a black teenager from Anacostia

November 19, 2013 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |