November 19th, 2013

Congressman charged with cocaine possession

Washington (CNN) - Rep. Trey Radel is due in D.C. superior court Wednesday, charged with misdemeanor cocaine possession after an October 29 arrest, according to court documents.

The 37 year-old Florida Republican is serving his first term in Congress after winning office last November.

A spokesman for the U.S. Attorney's office said Tuesday that the charges come with a maximum 180 day imprisonment and/or $1,000 fine.

“I'm profoundly sorry to let down my family, particularly my wife and son, and the people of Southwest Florida," Radel said in a statement released by his office. "I struggle with the disease of alcoholism, and this led to an extremely irresponsible choice. As the father of a young son and a husband to a loving wife, I need to get help so I can be a better man for both of them.”

“However, this unfortunate event does have a positive side. It offers me an opportunity to seek treatment and counseling. I know I have a problem and will do whatever is necessary to overcome it, hopefully setting an example for others struggling with this disease.”

Radel is a former journalist and TV news anchor.

"Members of Congress should be held to the highest standards, and the alleged crime will be handled by the courts," a spokesman for House Speaker John Boehner said in a statement. "Beyond that, this is between Rep. Radel, his family, and his constituents."

–CNN's Deirdre Walsh, Alison Harding and Greg Seaby contributed to this report.

Filed under: Congress
  1. Sniffit

Guess who vehemently supports drug testing those awful, undeserving, subhuman welfare recipients. GUESS.

November 19, 2013 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  2. State

I hope once this older generation dies off we can have a serious discussion about legalizing drugs in this country.

November 19, 2013 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  3. Yakobi

As a Republican, I feel he's an embarrassment to the party and should resign. That's what a person with dignity would do.

November 19, 2013 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |

"The Choice Drug for Dems: Weed
    Weed:Lazy Behavior
    The Choice Drug for Republicans: Cocaine
    Cocaine: Reckless Behavior"

Choice drug for Teatrolls: Bath salts
    Bath salts: Face-eating crazy behavior

Now, back to my Dead bootlegs...

November 19, 2013 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  6. Gurgyl

Bust all GOP thugs you find cocaine, merjuana, LSD etc.no wonder this nation is experiencing to GOP garbage, backlash.

November 19, 2013 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  7. Ztahir

I wonder how these people get elected and the people around them don't know their addiction.

November 19, 2013 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  8. Chuck

Drug test ALL, Congress,Senate anyone working for the Government! and then make it random

November 19, 2013 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  9. Bob Loblaw

Everyone is repentant – once they're caught.

November 19, 2013 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  10. Just

I would venture to guess that the majority of public officials engage in illegal behavior.

November 19, 2013 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  11. frtysixntwo

He's 37?!? It's a hell of a drug.

November 19, 2013 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  12. Gregg

I know for a fact that with alcoholism that cocaine use is a direct use for a job that requires long hours or energy.

November 19, 2013 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  13. james

Me thinks he took the word PARTY in Tea Party the wrong way.
    Hey America, how's that tea party thing working out for ya now?

November 19, 2013 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  14. It's me in Chi-town

wow...really – 180 days imprisonment or $1000 fine?!?!?!? that's just not fair.

November 19, 2013 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  15. jamie

Oooooppsssssss Good Bye

November 19, 2013 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  16. Sniffit

"I hope that situations like these facilitate a better understanding of the difference in treatment for white and minority drug offenders in the US.

Indeed. Watch the uproar from the GOP/Teatrolls if he gets the full 180 days and the full fine. Then watch how little of it he serves.

November 19, 2013 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  17. Chuck

Hey j-man, He took responsibility all right. He was arrested in October, He probably tried to fix this for a month.

November 19, 2013 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  18. T E X A S

Cocaine? He's a little late. Most yuppies stopped doing coke 20 years ago.

November 19, 2013 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  19. John

I'm a republican and I think he should be forced to resign his post. These are the people that are put in high position that have a say over peoples lives and should be held to the highest standards be them Republicans or Democrats

November 19, 2013 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  20. lyle w.

No, guys, it's alright. You see... this here cocaine is some Grade A Family Values cocaine.

November 19, 2013 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  21. John

As for time in jail whatever the max is he should serve again I think people in position of making laws and enforcing laws on the rest of us should be held to the highest standards. Democrat or republican does not matter.

November 19, 2013 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  22. don in albuquerque

More from the law, order, and Jebus party. Throw him his happy butt out of office, and then to prison he goes.

November 19, 2013 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  23. Hadenuffyet

We seem to be stuck on making lawmakers , we need law destroyers , or else someday they'll be nothing left to regulate.

November 19, 2013 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  24. Bill

“However, this unfortunate event does have a positive side. It offers me an opportunity to seek treatment and counseling."

The opportunity to seek treatment and counseling has always been there. He should have said, "Now that I've been busted, I will seek treatment and counseling".

November 19, 2013 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  25. Michael Lissack

I wonder if Trey has mistaken "alcoholism" as a polite name for coke addict? BTW this was obvious to many of us for the past few years. But now he got caught.

I assume Georgia Hiller and Mike Scott will both announce that they are running.

November 19, 2013 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |