November 19th, 2013
10 months ago

Virginia legislator in critical condition after home assault

Updated 11:26 a.m. ET, 11/19/13

(CNN) - Virginia state Sen. Creigh Deeds was hospitalized for "serious injuries" after an assault Tuesday morning at his house in Bath County, where a second individual was found dead, Virginia state police said.

Deeds was flown to the University of Virginia Medical Center in Charlottesville, where he remains in critical condition, according to spokesperson Angela Taylor.

Taylor could not provide additional details.

Deeds ran unsuccessfully as the Democratic nominee for governor against Republican Bob McDonnell in 2009 and as the Democratic nominee for Attorney General–also against McDonnell–in 2005. He narrowly lost the latter race in a recount.

McDonnell released a statement calling the news "heartbreaking."

"In this tough and sad time, our thoughts and prayers are with the Deeds family. The news from this morning is utterly heartbreaking," he said. "Creigh Deeds is an exceptional and committed public servant who has always done what he believes is best for Virginia and who gives his all to public service. He cares deeply about Virginia, and the people of Virginia care deeply for him."

Governor-elect Terry McAuliffe, who won this month's gubernatorial contest, also released a statement.

"Dorothy and I are praying for Senator Creigh Deeds and his family in the wake of this awful tragedy," the Democrat said. "This is a truly sad day for Virginia and for the many people who know Creigh as the fine public servant and friend he is. We join people across the Commonwealth and country in wishing him a full recovery."

Other lawmakers from Virginia reacted on Twitter.

Filed under: Creigh Deeds • Virginia
  1. ImvotingforHillary

I wonder what set his son off?

November 19, 2013 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  2. Dr Tod Policandriotes

I feel for him. My stepson attacked me and I ended up with a broken neck. This was due to the fact that he did not want to go to school or work and wanted to play xbox instead. I suffered for over a year from that injury. There should be new headlines, "Young men become violent when parent gets on them for being lazy". This is a serious problem that needs to be dealt with by all of us. We are breeding lazy kids due to this society and the drive to either be greedy or suck off of the government. Many young men would rather get the instant gratification from a game over the long term gratification of getting a college degree or working a good stable job (when there are some).

November 19, 2013 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  3. VJ

I hope He will recover from his ordeal.

November 19, 2013 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  4. Mike anderson

F0x news has the whole story (which, apparently, CNN is too neutered to tell). His son stabbed him, then the son shot himself.

November 19, 2013 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  5. Larry B.

I don't understand why someone would do something so heinous and cold. It's just not right for any person to even contemplate something like this. I hope the Senator survives and gets better.

November 19, 2013 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  6. StephanieVa

Very shocking news. Creigh Deeds is well liked in Virginia, very nice man. Thoughts are with him and his family. Hoping for a full recovery and peace for Mr. Deeds and his family.

November 19, 2013 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  7. Mmmkay

Dr. Tod, speak for yourself. I choose not to bring innocent life into a world full of ppl ("breeding" your term) sociopaths.

November 19, 2013 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  8. Oscar

MARK 13:37–And what I say unto you I say unto all, Watch.

November 19, 2013 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  9. Rudy NYC

Mmmkay

-------------------
    Re-read what was written. Don't you understand what "stepson" means? It means it wasn't his biological kid.

November 19, 2013 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  10. The Real Tom Paine

-Dr Tod Policandriotes

******************
    Since you are the expert on social engineering, what should we do, doctor? In your own case, did you stop to think that maybe your stepson's anger might have been fueled by the fact that you were unable to bond with your stepson, and that your wife bears some of that responsibility?

November 19, 2013 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  11. Third Eagle of the Apocalypse.

Dr Tod Policandriotes

I call BS. I’ve heard a number of accounts like this and they are almost always half truths. Unfortunately many parents in your situation tend to leave out very important details. What most often seem to start the physical attack is not you telling them to go to school/work or that the teen wanted to play his Xbox. That is just ridiculous. What most often provokes the attack is the parent escalates the situation by taking some physical act themselves. Parents like to leave out these little details because they feel they were in the right. Not that this excuses the attack but intentional obscuring the facts of what actually takes place is a sign of guilt. Maybe you are one of the few that as a mentally unstable child but from your post it seems unlikely.

November 19, 2013 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  12. Malory Archer

brianNH

FoxNews has much more detail about the story

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Including some they made up themselves no doubt.

November 19, 2013 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |