November 20th, 2013
9 months ago

Crossfire: Sen. Tim Scott passes on Sen. Lindsey Graham endorsement

(CNN) – Sen. Tim Scott is passing on throwing his support behind Lindsey Graham, his fellow South Carolina Republican senator, who faces four conservative primary challengers as he runs for re-election next year.

Instead, Scott, who was appointed to the Senate late last year, said he would focus on his own election next year.

"As you three have just heard recently, I am up for re-election next year myself," Scott said, appearing on CNN's “Crossfire” on Wednesday. "I'm going to allow for all the other folks on the ballot to represent themselves very well. I'm going to continue to work hard for my election."

Pressed by “Crossfire” co-host Van Jones if Scott would give an endorsement to Graham, Scott simply said, "I certainly am going to work very hard for Tim Scott's re-election. Gotta win first."

Scott, a favorite of national grassroots conservatives, was appointed by fellow Republican Gov. Nikki Haley to fill the seat given up by then Sen. Jim DeMint, who now heads the conservative Heritage Foundation.

Scott, in next November’s election, is running to serve out the final two years of DeMint’s second term.

Graham, who is running for a third term in the Senate next year, has never been a favorite of South Carolina conservatives.

Filed under: Crossfire • Lindsey Graham • Republican Party • South Carolina • Tim Scott
  1. Rick McDaniel

I do not expect Graham to win the primary.

November 20, 2013 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  2. Jeff Brown in Jersey

Poor Little Lindsey, his panties must be in a bunch!

November 20, 2013 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  3. S. B. Stein

I think Mr. Scott is in for trouble should they both make it back to the Senate. If either one loses, then Mr. Scott will have hell to pay.

November 20, 2013 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  4. Eugene9

All of Graham's desperate attempts to yell "Benghazi!" and crawl on his stomach for the Tea Party has netted him zero benefit. I wish I could say that I felt sorry for him, but I don't.

November 20, 2013 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  5. tess

good for you scott – you just made me KNOW you are a true conservative, because from the day graham decided to suck up to mccain, it was obvious he was NOT !!! p.s. i am definitely going to vote for you from hilton head

November 20, 2013 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  6. NATHAN WIMBERLY

Tim watched the Guns Over People tea potty send those blondes after Herman Cain. He is going to stay in lockstep.

November 21, 2013 06:11 am at 6:11 am |