CNN obtains GOP playbook to target Obamacare
November 21st, 2013
8 months ago

CNN obtains GOP playbook to target Obamacare

Washington (CNN) - It's a playbook on the bruising field of health care politics, complete with "x's and o's."

The House Republican strategy memo, entitled "Because of Obamacare... I lost my insurance," offers samples of talking points, social media, videos, digital flyers, op-eds, and a fact sheet for GOP lawmakers doing battle against the president's signature legislative achievement.

Read the playbook (PDF)

Obtained by CNN, and reported first by Roll Call, the playbook was released late last month. A Republican source who provided the strategy memo to CNN says it will be updated and released to GOP House members Thursday.

"The administration now has a serious competence problem. Healthcare.gov is so much more than a website. The website should have been the easy part," the playbook reads.

The disclosure of the memo, produced by the office of House Republican Conference Chair Cathy McMorris Rodgers, comes amid a sustained Republican onslaught against the Affordable Care Act.

President Obama has noted the highly organized opposition to his signature legislative achievement.

“One of the problems we’ve had is one side of Capitol Hill is invested in failure,” Obama said at a Wall Street Journal event with some of the nation's top CEO's Tuesday.

White House spokesman Eric Schultz said the GOP's "18 page playbook of partisan attacks is 18 pages longer than their health care plan."

"In the playbook, there’s not a single word devoted to helping constituents enroll or offering an alternative idea to help Americans gain access to quality, affordable care," he added.

A spokesperson for House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi said Democrats will continue to back the program.

"While Republicans continue to fixate on sabotaging health reform and root for failure, House Democrats will continue to stand tall in support of the Affordable Care Act, work to strengthen the health reform law as implementation continues, and ensure that millions of uninsured Americans get coverage," Drew Hammill said in a statement.

Filed under: Congress • Obamacare
  1. John

"KEN MERTZ

OK...So they have a playbook....Don't the DEMS have one......the ONLY difference is the GOP's playbook DOES NOT LIE. period...."You're right, it's very straight forward. NO, NO, NO, NO, NO and NO.

November 21, 2013 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  2. Sandra

All this is just noise. I'm going to wait, just as we must for ANY new plan, until the kinks are ironed out before I call it. Isn't that the sane thing to do?

November 21, 2013 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  3. Enough is Enough

Did you see that a guy in Colorado got a letter telling him that his dog got Obamacare? It's true!! He put his dogs name in as answer to a security question – and then got a letter telling him the dog got healthcare. Obamacare – the issues are all about the website – how could the government possibly screw up the actual implementation of the law, isn't that correct lefty's? LOL – you guys crack me up – keep carrying the water for the One – He has your back....PERIOD! Good luck!

November 21, 2013 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  4. Bunnie

The "I've got mine, good luck with your sucker" is what Obama is saying. He doesn't have to worry about health care or how much it costs. We the American people, are the ones left holding the bag.

November 21, 2013 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  5. Seth

I am a small business owner and have supplied health benefits to my employees for over a decade. There has not been one year in the last 10 where the premiums didn't rise by 20-25%. Year after year we have been in the situation where in order to maintain coverage for our employees we have had to make changes to our coverage. This has included Increasing Doctor co-pays, reducing prescription coverage, requiring higher employee contributions, switching insurers etc. There have also been several years where the insurance companies have decided to discontinue the plan we had and we had to choose new coverage altogether. The worst event was when our favorite insurance company pulled out of the state of NJ altogether and we had to switch companies. As a business owner, I do not and have not seen where the ACA has affected me in any way that I wasn't already affected in the past. At least I know that the coverage I offer my employees meets certain standards which takes some of the blind trust for my agent out of the equation. I offer "BENEFITS" to my employees which come in all forms from medical/dental, paid time off, pizza days, holiday parties, free services, bonuses etc. I do this because those that work hard deserve to be rewarded. In addition, I like to think it offers me an edge when qualified people are choosing where they would like to work and helps to draw good applicants. Not all of the young healthy people who have worked for me over the years have chosen to get coverage. I have seen first hand the disastrous consequences when they have been unexpectedly involved in accidents and required medical treatment they could not afford. Give the law time and a chance to work. Any of the people who are losing coverage now as a result of the ACA could have lost it at anytime at the whim of the insurance companies anyway. It is nice to have someone or something to blame. Good luck to everyone out there. My hope is that in the end the ACA works, because that would be in everyone's best interest (except the republicans who have fought it tooth and nail).

November 21, 2013 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  6. conoclast

What ever happened to that news story about right-wing hackers' denial-of-service attacks on the ACA website? The psychotic-right demonstrably has little regard for The Democratic Process; how can illegal cyber-attacks be any surprise?

What's next, eh zealots?

November 21, 2013 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  7. ChuckChucklesAgain

Good luck Dems!!!

What does Colin Powell say? .... "The Pottery Barn rule".... you broke it.... you own it.

Clean up your own mess. Even the college kiddies aren't going to stand for listening to "the other guy did it" when you run the shows in the White House and Senate.

Good luck in 2014. It's your own blood you're spilling. We tried to warn you.

November 21, 2013 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  8. longtooth

Republicans are not against universal healthcare. They're against Obama having his name on a popular program, and so devote themselves to its failure. I remember when Richard Nixon was president, he changed the name of JFK's Peace Corps. He didn't change the mission, which was admired worldwide. He just didn't want it to remain Kennedy's idea. It's been changed back to the original name now, I believe. The point is, politics has no bottom.

November 21, 2013 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  9. A True Conservative

God to see al of the liberals out after noon on the east coast attacking the conservatives and defending Obama – Can you people ever admit that this is a failure? Do you EVER do anything that is wrong? Ever? Or are you just like him? Always so certain of things that just aren't so.

November 21, 2013 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  10. Rob

If Republicans can't give us a VIABLE SECOND OPTION, they need to shut up and get with it. Just being pig headed idiots does nothing to help.

November 21, 2013 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  11. CommonSense

Malory you are ignorant to economic, social, and financial reality.

In your words: "$6300 figure is the MAXIMUM out of pocket expenses a healthcare consumer would pay annually"... "In other words, you're no longer at risk of going bankrupt and living on the streets in the event of injury or prolonged illness...."

The people that this disaster was intended to provide "affordable" healthcare to, most certainly could not afford $6,300 in medical expenses per year. For someone irresponsibly attempting to support a family on a minimum wage job intended for highschool students, $6,300 would be a very large (and most likely unplanned) portion of their annual budget. Your argument that you will only pay the deductible IF you seek medical services is very naive. As a father of two under four years old, I can tell you that I have met my deductible each of the past 4 years. Once again, those individuals that worked hard their entire lives to get an edjucation and a decent paying job will pay for the entitled in the long run. Our insurers will increase our premiums and/or deductibles to make room for the new insureds in our risk pool. I am tired of being punished financially for the poor life decisions of the entitled. This is a "rob peter to pay paul" policy that is an embarrasment to a capitalistic nation.

November 21, 2013 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |