What's Biden thankful for this Thanksgiving?
November 25th, 2013
9 months ago

What's Biden thankful for this Thanksgiving?

Washington (CNN) - Vice President Joe Biden is known for his unexpected and quirky comments, but this Thanksgiving he's serious when discussing what he is thankful for.

"I'm thankful for my personal relationship with the President. There's a real friendship between us, and I have a great deal of respect for him," Biden said in an essay published for Time.com's special feature "TIME for Thanks."

Biden acknowledges that the President's decision to choose him as his Vice President has not only afforded him "to do something that matters," but has given his family the privilege to share in the experience as well.

His statements come only weeks after it was revealed that Obama campaign advisers considered replacing Biden with then-Secretary of State Hillary Clinton for the 2012 ticket.

The allegation was raised in a new book "Double Down: Game Change 2012" by longtime political journalists Mark Halperin and John Heilemann, who claim the idea was dropped after aides decided there was no political advantage in the switch.

In a recent interview with NBC's Chuck Todd, President Obama said he was unaware Clinton was under consideration for the vice presidency during the 2012 campaign.

"If they had asked me, I would've said that there is no way that I'm not running again with Joe Biden because I genuinely believe that he has been one of the best Vice Presidents in our history," Obama said.

"He also happens to be a friend. He also happens to be one of my most important advisers on domestic and foreign policy. I like him. When my back's up against the wall, he has my back."

Filed under: Joe Biden • President Obama
  1. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA -aka- Take Back The House -aka- No Redemption Votes

You're the man Joe!

November 25, 2013 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  2. Tampa Tim

I think we should be thankful that there is not a republican in the White House.

November 25, 2013 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  3. Tommy G

sonny chapman
    90% of the Country favors Extended Background Checks. We're supposed to be a Representative Form of Govt. Tell that to Repub. Senators.
    -–

Over 70% want Obamacre repealed. Why won't the Democrats repeal it?

November 25, 2013 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  4. Captain Awesome

Joe Biden is thankful for...
    1) Not having been fired and/or replaced by Hillary
    2) A friendly media that doesn't replay all of his bloopers and blunders daily
    3) The White House sending him on junkets around the world to keep him out of the news (at taxpayers' expense)

November 25, 2013 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  5. ladies first

his future with President Obama 2016

November 25, 2013 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  6. Tampa Tim

58% of Americans do not want ACA repealed. But baggers aren't much into what the majority wants anyhow.

November 25, 2013 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  7. Rick McDaniel

Well, I suppose it is nice that someone respects Obama.......even if that someone makes himself into a buffoon, for Obama's benefit.

November 25, 2013 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  8. Anonymous

Two paragraphs on what Vice President is thankful for.....(you know he said more than that)..........yet,

We have five paragraphs regurgitating old news.

Thank you VP Biden for your kindness to others.

November 25, 2013 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  9. Tampa Tim

Most Americans respect Obama, republicans are not respected very much.

November 25, 2013 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  10. Bill from GA

tops on his list has gotta be: Dr. JILL!

November 25, 2013 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  11. Flagship, NC

You're a good man Joe, through and through!
    Keep the faith.