John Boehner, king of the turkey brine?
November 26th, 2013
8 months ago

John Boehner, king of the turkey brine?

Washington (CNN) - Move over Martha Stewart - House Speaker John Boehner boasts his recipe for brining turkey is the key to a delicious Thanksgiving feast.

The Speaker is spending the holiday with his wife, Debbie, their two daughters and their husbands at his home in West Chester, Ohio.

FULL STORY

Filed under: John Boehner
  1. Anonymous

Sounds really good. But................we love fried turkey.

Have a nice Thanksgiving everybody.

November 26, 2013 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  2. Tomo

Don't tell me, the Speaker's main ingredient is tears.

November 26, 2013 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  3. Woman In California

Will he provide a video of the turkey being slaughtered like the loser in Alaska?

Finally, something he's good at – making turkey (turkey). He had to have some kind of hidden talent because he sure falls short on being a Speaker.

November 26, 2013 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  4. Woman In California

BTW, those turkeys in the picture sure look awful. I wouldn't buy any of them.

November 26, 2013 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  5. MOiu

I wonder if the turkey comes out REALLY ORANGE??

November 26, 2013 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  6. Name Uche Agonsi

His meals will obviously be delicious after pains and denials, as well as over $20billion shutdown he caused the American people.

November 26, 2013 11:34 pm at 11:34 pm |
  7. S. B. Stein

He likes to soak things like the American people since he doesn't get the job done.

November 26, 2013 11:43 pm at 11:43 pm |
  8. current state of the union

They better get some BBQ sauce for the grandchild, love it!

November 27, 2013 07:35 am at 7:35 am |
  9. Rudy NYC

I've been brining turkeys for at least 20 years. My turkeys come out of the brine with a light green color in the skin from all of the rosemary, sage, and thyme. My son says that I make the best pickled turkey he's ever eaten. The green color cooks out, of course, but all of the herb flavors stay behind.

I've also found that slow cooking the turkey breast side down, covered, at 275 for the first 3 hours, or half of the cooking time at 325, allows the legs and thighs to cook, while the breast cooks more slowly. Then I flip it breast side up, rub it with herb butter and finish it at 375 for another 2-3 hours.

November 27, 2013 08:37 am at 8:37 am |
  10. Lynda/Minnesota

@ Rudy

I've spent the past month working the treadmill in anticipation of "turkey day" and all its trappings ... and here you come, making me evermore hungry! My daughter cooks her turkey breast side down as well (and, yes, her turkey has always been by far the most delicious turkey of all).

Happily for me, it is her turn to host Thanksgiving! Have a healthy and happy and delicious day, Rudy.

And, oh, by the way: raking leaves. We're still at it.

November 27, 2013 09:12 am at 9:12 am |
  11. Data Driven

Sounds delicious, Rudy!

My own less-interesting-than-yours turkeys finally get interesting the day after, when I start consuming the leftovers in the form of turkey tacos: simple corn tortillas, cilantro, pico de gallo, lettuce, a little shredded cheese. A little Cholula sauce sharpens things up, too.

November 27, 2013 09:15 am at 9:15 am |
  12. Rudy NYC

@Data Driven and @tom
    @Lynda/Minnesota and @DM4O

To you folks, Sniffit, Malory, and the rest of the gang, have a Happy Thanksgiving.

@Gurgyl "Gobble, Gobble."

November 27, 2013 09:28 am at 9:28 am |
  13. Rudy NYC

Data Driven

------------------------
    Try a "Turkey Eggs Benedict". Make a pancake out of leftover stuffing and mashed potatoes. Drop some turkey shreds on top of it, or any breakfast meat. Drop your favorite cheese on it. Drop a fried egg on it. Top it with leftover chunky turkey gravy, which has a touch of heavy cream added to it. Consume. Move to prone position. Prepare for food coma.

November 27, 2013 09:32 am at 9:32 am |
  14. Data Driven

Rudy, back at you, and to all of the gang.

Here's to wishing for full bellies, laughter with family, and absolutely no politics tomorrow!

November 27, 2013 09:35 am at 9:35 am |
  15. Lynda/Minnesota

@ Data:

Rudy, back at you, and to all of the gang.

--------------

Co-sign. : )

November 27, 2013 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  16. Data Driven

@Rudy,

"Move to prone position. Prepare for food coma." LOL!

Man, that sounds decadent. If you're not a chef, you should be.

November 27, 2013 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  17. TONE

It's a pitty he couldn't adequately brine the turkeys he lead in the Gop congress who cost us 24 billion dollars.

November 27, 2013 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  18. Rudy NYC

He mixes garlic, salt, pepper, bay leaves and maple syrup (what he calls the secret ingredient) and then adds that to water to make the brine. He then submerges the bird in the brine overnight.
    -----------------------–
    The sugar in a brine finds its' way into the skin, but not the flesh. As it cooks, it helps to caramelize and brown the skin.

@Data Driven – Friends and Family call me "Iron Chef". I'm baking off 16 dozen rolls today for a church dinner.

November 27, 2013 10:51 am at 10:51 am |