November 26th, 2013
1 year ago

Supreme Court to take up Obamacare contraception case

Washington (CNN) - The high-stakes fight over implementing parts of the troubled healthcare reform law will move to the U.S. Supreme Court in coming months, in a dispute involving coverage for contraceptives and "religious liberty."

The justices agreed on Tuesday to review provisions in the Affordable Care Act requiring employers of a certain size to offer insurance coverage for birth control and other reproductive health services without a co-pay.

FULL STORY

Filed under: Obamacare • Supreme Court
  1. Bran

Please do whatever is constitutional. I don't care what is decided.

November 26, 2013 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  2. Smarter than POTUS

The US Supreme Court is taking this case for political reasons...to jump back into the spotlight.
    They are not interested in the merits of this case or upholding the Constitution of the United States.
    Its about their 15 mins of fame, and that's it.
    Disgraceful.

November 26, 2013 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  3. Fish

Somebody please tell the Birth Control nuts that providing birth control does not violate rights, everyone is free to take it or not, that's their right!!! This is a money issue not rights issue, the darn insurance companies simply don't want to pay for BC, but they don't want to pay for health care for the child either, that makes this a hypocrite issue!!!

November 26, 2013 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  4. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA -aka- Take Back The House -aka- No Redemption Votes

A bunch of religious zealots putting their faith onto other people.

November 26, 2013 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  5. Paul

I am against paying for any coverage at all for people who smoke, or drink, or eat junk food, or don't exercise. I believe this so strongly on religious grounds, so therefore, my company will not pay for any of this. Of course, for and additional charge you can purchase a "rider" to cover your vices. Can you see where this ruling could take us.....? Pretty soon, any employer can restrict coverage for anything based on their beliefs.

November 26, 2013 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  6. canon808

Oh man, why would anyone ever want to be president. I mean, I an unknown regular Joe in middle america and I wouldn't trade a minute of my life for what Obama is going through these days. Well, he's had better days at the office but he sure didn't see this coming. There are a thousand things that can go wrong to make the ACA a failure and they seem to be in line just waiting to happen. I want to feel bad for the guy but even the War in Iraq had more bipartisan support than this law. Just 3 more years to go Barack, you can make it.

November 26, 2013 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  7. Nodack

Hobby Lobby wants to dictate that their employees not use birth control? That's not religious freedom, that's denying other people their religious freedom and forcing them to live by your beliefs.

There is a Hobby Lobby a mile away that I will never go into.

November 26, 2013 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  8. JB

I believe in religious freedom when it comes to whether or not I, as a business owner, pay for something that may be against my beliefs. Therefore, I don't want to pay for anything that would aid in any erectile dysfunction as that may be used out of wedlock since it's for no other purpose that for sex, and I don't believe in sex before marriage. Yes, Rushies of the world, there are uses for estradiol (etc) for medical purposes other than for birth control. In many cases, women take it to minimize the debilitating symptoms of their menstrual cycles. Either fund both ailments for men and for women, or neither one. I'm good with it either way, as long as it's consistent across the board.

November 26, 2013 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  9. shorething

So if a business can protest part of Obamacare, then why are they forcing us to get healthcare. If Hobby Lobby wins on religious grounds then why can't the Americans who are being forced against their will to buy healthcare at least get the penalties dropped. This is America where we are supposed to be free and have a right to happiness. Being forced to buy some lackluster policy that is 3 times the amount of current policies with stagnant quality care is not helping anyone.

November 26, 2013 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  10. Name jk. Sfl. GOP CRUZ lee&rubio 24billion dallar LOSS of your tax money conservatives,the garbage of America.

Radal just wants his pension after one year in office which wouldn't happen in the private sector , what a bum!!!!

November 26, 2013 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  11. LoseTheZero

Religion. It has no place in the work force, in politics or health care. It also has no place in tax exemptions. Churches are businesses and their goal is to operate at a profit, not a loss.

November 26, 2013 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  12. James Phoenix

Companies don't provide healthcare, people earn it. This notion seeems to be missed in this debate!

November 26, 2013 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  13. Anonymous

Hoping the court tells these bible thumping A– to go soak their pointed little mines. Are they going to give these women raises when they get pregnant to help take care of them??? No. Glad I live in Md. where we have open mines towards to good of others.

November 26, 2013 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  14. JC

What happens if a company just refuses to provide health insurance?

November 26, 2013 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  15. gee

Looks like Hobby is trying to force it's personal beliefs on all its employees.

November 26, 2013 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  16. YeahRight

Justice Roberts is probably going to join the Liberals on this one, AGAIN, to defend the Obamacare fiasco.

November 26, 2013 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  17. Colin

Christianity is the belief that an immortal, all-knowing being, powerful enough to creat the entire Universe and its billions of galaxies, each with billions of stars and planets, has a personal interest in how I have se.x.

Atheism is the belief that the above belief is ridiculous.

November 26, 2013 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  18. Clint Jensen

This is a slippery slope. I am very much against the ACA because there is nothing about it that is affordable from the overall perspective. That is, just because someone else, via taxes or fees or whatever, makes the price to someone else cheaper does not reduce the overall costs.

Having said that, there are many religions out there that are practiced devoutly by their followers. Some may advocate child or multiple marriages. Some may think it OK to behead your daughter if she brings shame to your family. Do we exempt them from the laws of decency because they have strong beliefs to the contrary?

Having said that again, we have morphed the definition of 'insurance'. Insurance is not health maintenance. You do not buy auto insurance to get your oil changed or the normal dings in your paint to get fixed. You buy it in case the unexpected happens. Any insurance company that binds coverage for you retroactively after you totaled your car will not remain in business very long.

If what we are after is health maintenance (shots, well baby care, periodic physicals, ....), then fine, Open up some government run clinics where all are served for 'free', and leave the 'insurance' against the unexpected to the insurance companies.

Just my $0.02. You can keep the change.

November 26, 2013 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  19. 66rock

Oh good grief here we go again! My religious belief doesn't include war, income tax, car insurance, curbing my dog and those silly Constitution amendments or the stores selling mild, it's against my religion. Wait, and I really don't like Miley on my air waves now that I think of it, yup, time for the Supreme Court for me! Such nonsense from the religious right.

November 26, 2013 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  20. Colin

Christianity is the belief that an immortal, all-knowing being, powerful enough to creat the entire Universe and its billions of galaxies, each with billions of stars and planets, has a personal interest in how I reproduce.

Atheism is the belief that the above belief is ridiculous.

November 26, 2013 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  21. Anthony

Seriously?! Being an American is more than simply having an opinion, but that's fine if you want to blame the Supreme Court... you get to because you live in a free society that allows nonsensical views, such as yours, to be floated freely and openly. As for health care, the Preamble to the Declaration of Indepenence states: We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. Ask yourselves, what do you think the Framers were talking about when they specifically used the word "LIFE"?

Basic health care is not just an American Right – – – it's a basic human right.

November 26, 2013 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  22. anonymous

This is ridiculous. Contraception is needed and should be covered. Just because people are religious and against it, they shouldn't take the rights away from everyone else. I thought this was America for crying out loud. Anyone against this is just an ignorant religious tyrant. I wonder how they'd feel it were their daughters that got pregnant at 14.

November 26, 2013 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  23. IAMBeowolf

SO you can't have birth control but will Hobby Lobby provide support for these children born into families that can no longer afford children due to gross economic disparity created by GOP policies over the past 30 years. Hmmm top corp incomes increased 750% while the rest of the population saw a decrease in growth. Perhaps they should Hobby Lobby for better care, feeding and education of children....

November 26, 2013 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  24. JJ

If the Supremes decide that I don't have to obey this law based on religious grounds, will I then be able to say that it is against my religious beliefs to pay income taxes because I tithe? Can I be exempt from assault and battery charges if I beat up my kids based on "spare the rod, spoil the child" ? Supposing I ask for a discharge of a murder charge when I kill my neighbor, because he lit a fire on the Sabbath, based on my religious beliefs as stated in the Bible?

November 26, 2013 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  25. Will

If SCOTUS rules in favor of religious rights, WELL, HERE CAMES RULING SUPPORTING SHARIA LAWS!

November 26, 2013 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |