Baldwin blasts MSNBC for ending his show but keeping Bashir's
November 27th, 2013
12 months ago

Baldwin blasts MSNBC for ending his show but keeping Bashir's

(CNN) - After an angry rant cost Alec Baldwin his show on MSNBC, the former host is blasting the network for keeping host Martin Bashir after he made incendiary remarks about former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin.

"Martin Bashir's on the air, and he made his comment on the air!" Baldwin told Gothamist, adding that he denies using a gay slur in part of the confrontation.

Earlier this month, Bashir apologized for suggesting that Palin deserved graphic punishment for comparing the U.S. federal debt to China to slavery. Palin later canceled an interview with NBC's "Today" show.

MSNBC and Baldwin's representative confirmed to CNN in a joint statement Tuesday that Baldwin's show, "Up Late," would be canceled after he reportedly yelled gay slurs at a photographer outside his apartment in New York. Baldwin later posted a statement on MSNBC's website apologizing.

"I did not intend to hurt or offend anyone with my choice of words, but clearly I have - and for that I am deeply sorry. Words are important. I understand that, and will choose mine with great care going forward," he said.

MSNBC has not commented on Bashir's status with the network.

Palin responded to the MSNBC host’s comments in an interview with “Fox News Sunday,” saying that the network’s failure to act is hypocritical and common in “that media elite bubble, where it depends on the target of the vile rants,” though she accepted his apology.

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Rick McDaniel

That's actually a very fair criticism.

November 27, 2013 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  2. alison wonderland

Mr. Baldwin..."Fathead"??? Really? No one believes that...and you know that...I guess MSNBC is looking for someone more stable...you were great on 30 Rock...but that was scripted...ad lib is just not your forte...

November 27, 2013 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  3. Somechick Fromcalifornia

Why did baldwin have a show in the first place? bashire shouldn't have a show, he is a tabloid regurgitator, but he fits in well with msnbc so it's really not all that surprising. baldwin should get his show back so that we can all watch and mock his ignorance and psychotic breakdowns... all it would take is one caller or one good pundit to set him off and watch the fireworks begin. i can't wait until he ruins his career and reputation for good, it's coming soon. msnbc is a joke network and everyone knows it, the only one that takes them seriously is baldwin lol the irony.

November 27, 2013 11:01 pm at 11:01 pm |
  4. Jeff Brown in Jersey

But Bashir was bashing Palin, so all is good!

November 27, 2013 11:31 pm at 11:31 pm |
  5. Reynald

Cry me a river! The fact that Bladwin is comparing his slurs to Bashir's comments shows he just doesn't get it.

November 27, 2013 11:52 pm at 11:52 pm |
  6. ryche

Oh Alec.. you must know of the double standards liberals live by... I mean, you're one of them.. You degraded and insulted a gay person.. one of the liberals protected classes.. Bashirs attacks were aimed at a conservative.. One of the unprotected classes.. The last class to be openly mocked and destroyed.. All for the purpose of minimizing the subject. So you see Alec, you now get to see what its like to be on the other side of liberal hypocrisy... its not pretty, huh?

November 28, 2013 12:32 am at 12:32 am |
  7. California

Nothing MSLSD does surprises me.

November 28, 2013 12:43 am at 12:43 am |
  8. AJ

It's all about ratings, I think. I bet Martin Bashir pulls in better numbers than Up Late.

November 28, 2013 12:52 am at 12:52 am |
  9. cmml

Alec is a rich white dude who attacked gay people. Martin Bashir is Indian and he attacked a Republican – Why is he surprised at the double standard?

November 28, 2013 06:20 am at 6:20 am |
  10. Marie MD

Martin Bashir said something about the most hated woman in the world and he was right to do so. Personally I think he was kind from what I see printed and hear about the screecher.
    Gay bashing? We have come a long way Alec. Grow up!

November 28, 2013 09:12 am at 9:12 am |
  11. James Hall

The politics of being a political commentator are apparently as tricky as real politics. I suspect when the camera is off Bashir is a good politician and Baldwin is not.

November 28, 2013 10:08 am at 10:08 am |