December 1st, 2013
5 months ago

Administration: HealthCare.gov working smoothly

Washington (CNN) – Two months after coming online, the beleaguered HealthCare.gov website works "smoothly for the vast majority of users," the Obama administration claimed Sunday, the self-imposed deadline for getting the website up and running.

In a report and speaking to reporters, officials with the Department of Health and Human Services said more than 400 individual repairs have helped the health site increase its capacity to 50,000 users at a time, while lowering response times to less than a second. That amounts to what the administration calls “dramatic progress” in repairing the site.

“HealthCare.gov on December 1 is night and day from where it was on October 1,” Jeff Zients, the management guru tasked with leading the website repair, told reporters on a conference call Sunday.

Charts included in the HHS document indicate the majority of the website fixes came over the past month, when a group of tech experts huddled to find ways of making the digital property usable for the bulk of Americans. President Obama, along with top deputies and staff, vowed the site would work for the "vast majority" of Americans by the end of November.

Julie Bataille, the communications director for the agency heading the website repairs, said the site was now allowing “in the zone of 80%” of users to successfully complete a health care enrollment.

The health agency said users now spend an average of 20 to 30 minutes on HealthCare.gov, and that usage trends show the site will be able to handle more than 800,000 visits a day.

“In effect, we’ve widened the system’s onramp. It now has four lanes, instead of one or two,” Zients said Sunday.

That’s a far cry from the site’s launch, when Americans looking to enroll in health insurance exchanges were unable to create accounts and log on. The technical problems, combined with groups of people having their insurance plans canceled, have caused a crisis for the White House and Obama, who has seen his approval ratings drop to new lows.

Officials cautioned Sunday that users could still face error messages and slow performance times, though they stressed the website was vastly improved from its launch.

“As with any website, the team will continue to address bugs and glitches,” Zients said.

1. georgex9

I told you so. Now just wait a couple of months and see a large number of people have successfully registered.

December 1, 2013 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  2. Name jk. Sfl. GOP CRUZ lee&rubio 24billion dallar LOSS of your tax money conservatives,the garbage of America.

Who cares what the GOP obstructionist GOP says or does or doesn't do. The GOP is nothing more then obstructionist FAILURES!!!!!!

December 1, 2013 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  3. Jack

It's not about the website. Obozo & Demorats want people to believe their progressive idea working but until now more than 55% American people BELIEVED Obozo lied to them and more will add to it i.e. people in the group health knew soon their HC plans also chopped by Ozoscare's law and could well be 98 million of them or 85% in 2014 and 129 million by 2015.

The more people get access to the healthcare.gov the more people will know about rates and deductibles shock. Obozoscare is already self-imploded 3 1/5 years ago.

Obozoscare is the worst project ever in the history of this nation. Currently project cost American nearly billion lead to 6 million lost their HC plans and many more to come but the MOST important thing about this Obozoscare is to eliminate all private HCs in the market and so people freedom.

December 1, 2013 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  4. Anonymous

The fact that some people are defending this debacle is mind blowing.

December 1, 2013 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  5. Truth Partner 12

Great! Now I can finally see how expensive my replacement plan will be, the replacement plan for my previous plan that I loved; the same one the President promised I could keep...

December 1, 2013 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  6. Skarphace

To Republicans, a working healthcare website is not welcome news. It only gives them one less thing to complain about.

Republicans do not want universal healthcare because it means that somebody is getting something for nothing, which amounts to income redistribution. Nevermind that when people without health insurance use the emergency room for their care it costs taxpayers much more than preventive care would. To them, it is the idea that matters, not the reality.

Therefore, I fully expect Republicans to continue to undermine the ACA in every way. Republican-controlled states will fight the implementation of the ACA and the expansion of Medicaid. Republican politicians and pundits will continue to focus only on the negative and ignore the positive. Republican lawmakers will try to create more loopholes that will give people and businesses the ability to avoid following the law (as they are currently in their attempt to make it so that a business owned by religious owners can choose not to offer certain coverages to their employees who want them).

15 years from now, people will not understand why America took so long to implement universal health care.

December 1, 2013 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  7. Steve

Interesting that the right never mentions farm subsidies in the same breath with housing assistance, food stamps, or Medicaid (notice that Medicare is omitted).

December 1, 2013 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  8. BoJangles

So. Where's my free health care ? I though that was the point of this.

December 1, 2013 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  9. Truck

@ Skarphace,the GOP doesn't want socialized healthcare with IPAB panels. What next for you socialist? Government run banks?

December 1, 2013 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  10. Bill

The calm before the storm.....

December 1, 2013 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  11. Sheila

Whether the site works is irrelevant. In fact, the better it works, the worse Obamacare's failure will be because only the oldest and sickest will sign up for it. It is an actuarial nightmare. Without the young and healthy to support this monstrosity, it will crash and burn. Doctors are quitting Obamacare in droves, hospital fees are already skyrocketing because of the expected influx of new patients straining an already beleaguered system, millions of people are getting their insurance cancelled, and premiums are doubled and in some cases tripled. Wow, what a mess.

December 1, 2013 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  12. Vikachi

So now we ll all b safe from da corp.s who sickin us with there addictiv prodocts that are killin us in da first place.we wont c pill sellers on all da tv s in americo.no more fat diabetic n cancers thay gavve us.ya.n da $1,000,000,000,000,oo trill$$ a year da med.ins.Docs.n med comunity steel each year.Funny People tricks R 4 YOU.haha NOT

December 1, 2013 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  13. Anonymous

I can't even access the website...

December 1, 2013 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  14. DroneAlone

It's up and working smoothly.

Anyone who says otherwise will be fired or audited...

December 1, 2013 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  15. Allen Gingrich

Works smoothly for me! $192/month premium for Gold coverage, $1,000 deductible and $15 co-pay. I'm in Ohio, by the way.

December 1, 2013 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  16. Jeff Brown in Jersey

What are the right wing kooks going to whine about now?

December 1, 2013 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  17. Vikachi

This just kinda make U sick dont it.?

December 1, 2013 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  18. Occent

These guys seriously patting themselves on the back for putting up a website?

December 1, 2013 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  19. aus10m

I signed up online, and was not able to log in.

When I request my password or try to find my user name, the HealthCare.gov website tells me to check my email. Well... those emails never show up. I have checked my junk and spam folders and they aren in there either. So I called to sign up by phone and spoke with someone, this was about a month ago. I have not received any information in the mail or received an email with a more information.

So, yesterday morning I gave it a try again, to see if I could log in or request my username or change my password. Once again they website said to check my email and I did not receive an email in my account (also checked junk/spam folders).

BTW, I live in Texas, have a kidney transplant, am 33 years old, and Rick Perry terminated the Texas Risk Pool because of the ACA basically as soon as he could, so come January 1, 2014 I am without health coverage.

I want to call again, or maybe I sign up and use a different username, and email address, but I don't want to get hit with 2 or 3 healthcare bills if I do.

It is pretty frustrating and stressful to say the least as I am running out of time.

December 1, 2013 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  20. CapeCod

As a republican I disagree with Skarphace.

Like everything else the government touches this will be a disaster.

It will be under funded and billions of dollars will be borrowed yearly to keep it going.
    Friends of Democrats will be exempt from it like some are now...
    And the people that voted for this made sure THEY are exempt.

And for the record as much as 80% of the American people were pleased with their health insurance until Obama decided he knew better.

Like our "secured" borders, Amtrak, The US Postal Service and countless other government investments and programs, this is a disaster

By the way Skarphace.....
    If its so great why did the president have to lie and bribe to get it passed??

December 1, 2013 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  21. Lori

and the security of your data? none.

so, the front end works for most users (the only part you see), the middleware who knows? and the backend is nonexistent.

those in the business would not qualify the web site as working, but you don't want to hear that.

December 1, 2013 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  22. Trout20

Here is the real world. I just spent 2 hours on the site and the phone. It doesn't work still can't see coverages offered. The amount of credit shown on the PDF they sent me and the amount the operator says are different. The operator says in 2 to 5 working days someone will call me. (fifth time I have heard this) Yep that is a smooth working system for sure that is fixed. In 31 days this train wreck hits my family as I am one of the unlucky whom will have lost their lousy insurance plan that was first affordable, second offered great coverage for my family.

December 1, 2013 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  23. My name is

Great job... I'm in! Saved on my premiums too... End of story.

December 1, 2013 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  24. Cornel

I don't care what nobody says.... "Republican" is a dirty word and will be for decades to come.

Obama came through again. Damn shame he has to do everything himself. Smh

December 1, 2013 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  25. elkwc

For all of those who believe it is fixed I have some prime beach property I want to sell them in the Oklahoma Panhandle. Pamlm trees and the wind never blows. Closer to reality than anything Obama say. It is easy to tell when he is telling a lie. His lips are moving. It is going to provide health care for a few but what about the millions who have not only lost their health care but their full time jobs with benefits? Guess we don't care about them. I would like for all of the Liberals trolls to tell me what Obama and the Liberals have done for the middle class. I can tell you what he has done for me. My insurance costs more, my copays cost more, my choice of doctors is already decreasing and my coverage is less. Where is this better coverage for less or even equal? It doesn't exist. I can name off several other examples of where he has cost me more money. Him and the Liberals have already increased taxes and have plans to increase them even more on the middle class. Yes he has done more for the illegals than he has the hard working middle class. Him and the Liberals see votes when they see the illegals. They feel we have no choice to give them everything we have so they don't care about the middle class.

December 1, 2013 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |