December 3rd, 2013
8 months ago

Bill Clinton: Too early for 2016 campaign to start

(CNN) - Bill Clinton says he doesn't know if his wife will run for the White House in 2016, but he does say that it's too early for the next presidential race to start.

Asked in an interview Tuesday with CNN Español Anchor/Senior Correspondent Juan Carlos López if he thinks Hillary Clinton will make another White House bid, the former President said "I don't know."

But Clinton emphasized that there should be no rush to jump into the next presidential campaign.

"I think, and she believes, that the country should spend at least another year working very hard on the problems we have," he continued. "We have very serious challenges in America, and we have responsibilities around the world. I think it's a big mistake, this constant four-year, peripatetic campaign is not good for America. We need to deal with the business we have before us."

While the next race for the White House doesn't really get into gear for another year, until after the 2014 midterm elections, some of the early moves are already underway, with some of the potential presidential contenders making visits to the early primary and caucus states. And speculation is rampant over whether Hillary Clinton will run again. All polling indicates that if she does launch a campaign, Clinton would instantly become the overwhelming frontrunner for the Democratic nomination.

Vice President Joe Biden, a two-time presidential candidate, is also mulling a bid for the White House. And a CNN/ORC International survey conducted two weeks ago indicated that if Clinton doesn't run, Biden would be the initial favorite to capture the Democratic nomination.

Asked by López about a potential Biden run, Bill Clinton said "if he runs and he's the nominee, I'll try to help him win. I think the world of him."

"I've known him for years and years and I have a very high opinion of him. I care a great deal about him and I think he's done a good job for the President and the country," added Clinton.

Filed under: 2016 • Bill Clinton • Hillary Clinton • Joe Biden
  1. Testing 123

I cannot believe Bill Clinton doesn't have a clue about whether his wife is going to run for office, they live together. Then he goes on yaking like he's putting a plug in for her. My opinion of Hillary is that I do not trust her. I don't trust our Democrate leaders. Look at Detroit and what decades of Democrating rule did to the city. I fear the same for our country.

December 3, 2013 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  2. tom l

@The Real TP,
    "Any more infuriating than the gross generalizations you make on a daily basis? Please. You cherry-pick your facts to construct whatever argument you want to make, and you do it with abandon. As far the worship is concerned, you seem to forget Reagan and the deity status the Right confers on him. Once again, showing your complete bias and inability to be as objective as you claim. Another disgusting fail."

There is only so much one can say in a post. What I find classic is that Rudy blatantly gave wrong information and you don't call him on that you bring out some random point about Reagan (a person I have never mentioned). Just what does that have to do with anything? You tell me that I never criticize the conservative posters on here. I'm not sure why that's my role. But what I find mystifying is that you just had one of your cohorts blatantly give wrong information and you were silent. You. Were. Silent.

December 3, 2013 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  3. Rudy NYC

tom l.

Um, I will not call you a liar. But you are sorely mistaken. I was born in 1969, graduated high school in 1987, UC Irvine in 1992 (had to take the 5 year plan), worked in the financial industry for 10 years and now have been in marketing/advertising for almost 13 years. Why would you flat out make something up? Well, I guess that's nothing new for you. You do it all the time.
    ----------------------------------
    Calling someone a liar? Cherry picking facts to misrepresent them is one of the worst kinds of lies. Just today, for example, you claimed that conservatives donate more than liberals. When you have two, three, ten, or however many times as much wealth, I would hope so. I stand by my words. If you're not "a few years out of high school", then you certainly argue like someone who is. "So, what difference does it make?" Have a nice day, tom.

December 3, 2013 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  4. Dallas

There is not one Republican out there that I could comfortably vote for. I will certainly cast my vote here in red state Texas for Hillary Clinton. We are going through somewhat of a transformation period here in the Lone Star State and many of us are actively working to elect Wendy Davis as our next Governor. We have been governed for too many years by these tea bag extremists and it's time for a sea change here in Texas. I think Hillary Clinton would be an outstanding POTUS. We're ready to go!!!

December 3, 2013 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  5. Ol' Yeller

I still say all libertarians should go to Somalia or some other country with no government, so they will be in their Shrangri-La.
    We can then see just who the "economic ignoramuses" really are; and they can actually see what 'scary' really is.

It is humorous how someone who obvious sees America as failed Democracy due to simply having a government, yet they live here and enjoy the fruits of our society, all the while criticizing the very system formed by our blood, sweat, and tears that got us here. Unbelievable.
    I guess that extra year to get one's bachelor's degree somehow opens your eyes to the failure of America and shows you just how superior and intelligent one is because one voted for some schmuck who can't even beat bachmann, herman cain, or rick santorum.
    We bow to your superior intellect....
    (snicker)