December 3rd, 2013
12 months ago

After website woes, President pushes benefits of Obamacare

Washington (CNN) – Stop worrying about the website and start talking about Obamacare's benefits.

That was President Barack Obama's message to the nation on Tuesday as he kicked off a three-week public relations blitz intended to generate more participation in his signature health care reforms.

FULL STORY

Filed under: Obamacare • President Obama
  1. tom l

@rs and Mallory,

So I'm glad that you both feel I'm finally paying my way (fact is that I have always been insured but that's ok). The point you missed was that I will now be paying for the advertising onslaught of the ACA.

By the way, why all of the sudden are you both so keen to make sure that people pay their own way? Why don't you have the same stance with regards to unemployment insurance for 99 weeks or for food stamps? I mean, you're glad that I'm finally "paying my way" for some mythical ailments that you have made up but there are real people out there that are not paying their way that for some curious reason you don't seem to mind. You are such hypocrites it's startling.

Oh, and taxing someone more so someone else gets something is not the definition of a patriot. And I am in no position to label someone a patriot or not. I don't care.

December 3, 2013 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  2. rs

shorething

There are benefits to Obamacare? Really? Cause all I see is, paying higher premiums, higher copays, quadruple prices for prescriptions, still not better quality of care, no access to Doctor malpractice suits to see if they are of the quality you want in a doctor, and it is going to make my student loans harder to pay off. So what am I benefitting from this if all it does is make everything else in life a harder task to accomplish?
    ______________________
    The only people NOT getting any subsidies (i.e those who MIGHT pay more) are those whose incomes are greater than $92k per year. Somehow, I bet that isn't you.

December 3, 2013 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  3. just saying

seriously??? do we need to hear more lies from this failure of a president? 5 years and counting and the lies just keep coming. the american people have stopped listening to the liar-in-chief.

December 3, 2013 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  4. Tampa Tim

We who live in red states will pay more until we change governors. Then, we can begin to see competition in insurance companies.

December 3, 2013 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  5. rs

___________________________
    Your are so right. I have never met a patriot who would hurt fellow Americans, or say "I don't care".

December 3, 2013 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  6. Malory Archer

shorething

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

My premiums, deductibles and copays have remained the same. However, I now get free mamogram & bone density testing annually, and diagnostic lab work required twice a year to monitor a medical condition. Those services used to be subject to deductibles and copays. Additionally, I was injured in a sports accident in 2012 and had to have orthopedic surgery. When all was said and done, my insurance company had been billed $36k+ by all the various treatment facilities and medical professionals who treated and repaired my injuries. My premiums have remained the same, even after all that!

December 3, 2013 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  7. Malory Archer

just saying

seriously??? do we need to hear more lies from the reichsing losers about the President? 5 years and counting and the lies just keep coming. the american people have stopped listening to the lying liars who just can't get past the fact the American people rejected them TWICE!

++++++++++++++

FIFY. You're welcome.

December 3, 2013 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  8. tom l

@rs
    ___________________________

=====

Assigning the term "patriot" has no meaning any longer. Sean Hannity ruined it and then the left took it and ran. It is a meaningless term. I do care about my fellow American; I don't care how you determine who is a patriot or not. It's meaningless.

Now, would you care to address the rest of my comment? Why are you so hyped up on making someone buy insurance yet you have no concerns about people on unemployment, welfare or food stamps? You did say that you were happy that I could finally pay my way. Does that "pay my way" only count for insurance?

December 3, 2013 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  9. rs

just saying

_____________________
    Seriously? Every single thing said about the ACA from the Right has been a lie. Look at the posts here today. Fiction after fiction from the usual plutocratic apologists.

December 3, 2013 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  10. Thomas

@just saying

=====

Do you actually get paid to post such rhetoric ?

language that is intended to influence people and that may not be honest or reasonable.

What a wast of campaign funds , we need campaign financing reform NOW .

December 3, 2013 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  11. Thomas

@Tampa Tim

===

Hey , hows your governor Rick Scott ?

From where Im located he looks like a crook .

December 3, 2013 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  12. Rudy NYC

just saying

------------------------
    You're so angry that you have to post under a different name, which means you've acknowledged the fact that you lost the argument. The right wing cals the President a liar on everything. The right wing has applied just about every derogatory description that it could to this Presient. The right wing has shown a disgraceful disrespect for the office of POTUS.

The right's quabble has never been political or ideological. It's always been personal, which is unfair to say the least. But, it is because of these degrading personal attacks that the President was re-elected. The right wing has nothing to offer to further the welfare and future of this country. They've come out and said many times, "You're on your own."

The right wing cannot even offer an alternative solution to health care reform, mainly because the individual mandate is their solution. The individual mandate is the idea that the right supported against the Clinton push for a single payer system in the 1990s. If the right wing is against the individual mandate, universal health care, and single payer systems, then what type of healt care reform can they support? Nothing. Nothing besides maintaing the status quo, which we all know is broken.

December 3, 2013 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  13. Tampa Tim

Thomas – Yes he is a crook, but since he bilked billions out of Medicaid, the right wing loves him. Crist is our only hope for sanity.

December 3, 2013 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  14. ED 1

Tampa Tim

Put down the Kool Aid your are way out of your league if you the the Republicans in RED States are charging you more they are trying to stop the overspending this out of control Democrats are doing.

Remember your leaders Nancy pas the bill so we can see what's in it and Obama you can keep your doctors and insurance and pay less what a joke all three of you are.

December 3, 2013 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  15. Donna

Oh look! Yet another Obama-Obamacare PR campaign. What is this? The 10th one to date? Probably more if you count all the other people out there selling this snake oil. And how many more millions is this going to cost us? You know, the lipstick for this Obamacare PIG is getting very, very expensive. And you know what? It still looks like a PIG.

But don't worry America, Obama and the Democrats will do what they do best. Campaign and lie to you yet again. Blame thier Democrat owned disaster on others and pretend nothing is wrong, all is well, all just another made up "nontrovery".

Like that healthcare cancellation notice in your mailbox is completely imaginery.

December 3, 2013 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  16. Woman In California

Will they ever get the hint that no matter how much they push this mess, the majority of Americans simply don't want it?

Well that depends on what "majority" you're speaking of. I have no problem whatsoever with the ACA and helping millions of uninsured people get the medical help they so desperately need.

December 3, 2013 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  17. The Real Tom Paine

" I don't care"-Tom l

Truer words were never spoken by someone who ridiculed the patriotism of those on the left this past Veteran's Day, and then claims he is in no postion to label anyone a patriot. Being a patriot is about respecting what this country is about and those who have made it what it is, not about taking advantage of all the good things and not bothering to contribute anything back because " there's nothing in it for me". What an utterly greedly, shallow, and egocentric view. Typical of the morally lazy Liberatarians who would not lift a finger to help others during Hurricane Sandy, but are screaming because they are asked to contribute to something that could help millions.

December 3, 2013 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  18. Malory Archer

ThinkAgain

Here, let me help out these youngsters with some info from the UnitedHealthCare website regarding student health insurance (FAQ page):

Q. I'm young and healthy. Why do I need health insurance?
    A. Despite your age and health, you never know when a serious injury or illness will strike. You're not invincible. And if you don't have insurance, who'll pay your bills? Do you have the money to pay $1,500 to fix a broken leg or $3,000 to stay in the hospital?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

If ONLY that's all those services cost! More like $36k to fix a broken thumb (from the initial ER visit until the follow up visit a week after the cast is removed) – with NO HOSPITAL STAY INVOLVED!

December 3, 2013 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  19. Tommy G

The Obamacare Smoke and Mirror Show just never ends...

FACTS:
    53 percent of those polled said Obama is not honest or trustworthy (CNN/ORC)
    40 percent said Obama can manage the government effectively
    56 percent said they did not admire Obama, disagreed with him on important issues, said he does not inspire confidence
    53 percent said they do not see him as a strong and decisive leader

The American people have already decided that his lies about Obamacare were truly lies and they were deceived.

December 3, 2013 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  20. The Real Tom Paine

-tom l

@Ol Yeller,
    How are you, my friend? Are you aware that revenues to the govt are already at an all time high? And when you talk about the sequester, are the same person that talks about how our deficit is at a low point from the last 5 years due to the sequester? Or do you twist and turn and talk about how harmful it is to our economy? So which one is it?

Oh, and after the Bush tax cuts, I know you're aware that revenues to the govt went up every single year from 2002-2007. But you knew that already, didn't ya?

So what are the "tried and true methods of adding jobs"? I can't wait to hear this one. Is it more "shovel ready jobs" that Obama talked about before his stimulus bill passed and then joked afterwards that there is no such thing as "shovel ready jobs"?
    ******************************************
    Geez, the way the GOP talked about the Keystone Pipeline, it sure sounded like a shovel-ready job that would generate thousands of jobs. The truth is that there were public works projects readyt o go, but the GOP reps took the money and sent it to GOP governors to balance their budgets retroactively, among other things. The GOP had plenty of pet projects they used stim money for: the only problem was, almost none of it was for infrastructure. I know teh GOP seems to think that you don't need up-to-date infrastructure, but the reality is different. Too bad you are factually challanged, again.

December 3, 2013 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  21. Malory Archer

@RI_Roger

The very age group we need to sign up to fund the program are uneducated on what they are signing up for. +++++++++++++++++++

They're young, so they're uneducated on pretty much everything except the specs and release dates for the latest "must-have" gadgets, and which reality star is dating/marrying/divorcing/cheating on/having a baby with their significant other. Why would you expect healthcare matters to be any different?

The group that will use and abuse the system are signing up in droves with the premise it is free or significantly funded by the government.++++++++++++++++++

Oh, you mean sick people who have been unable to seek treatment for years because they had a preexisting condition that precluded them purchasing health insurance?

What will they do in year 2 when the credits go away do to no funding available from the younger age groups?++++++++++++

The vast majority have no illusions about the costs of seeking treatment, but thanks for exposing yourself with that tired old lie.

Gullible Americans get duped again by elected "leaders" and irresponsible journalist who choose not to tell the real story until it's too late.++++++++++++++++++++++

Yeah, we really need to reenact the Fairness Doctrine so the reichwing is no longer able to lie with impunity about the AHCA.

December 3, 2013 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  22. tom l

@The Real TP,
    "Typical of the morally lazy Liberatarians who would not lift a finger to help others during Hurricane Sandy, but are screaming because they are asked to contribute to something that could help millions."

I truly applaud your taking my "I don't care" quote completely out of context. The difference between you and I is that I don't feel the govt should compel me to give. I will give (and I do) if I want to give. I pay taxes. I contribute. But your thought process that paying higher taxes somehow equates to being a better citizen and/or patriot is shallow and lame. You do realize that conservatives contribute about twice as much as liberals do to charity? Do you know why that is? It's because of the mindset. A liberal feels the govt will take care of anything bad whereas a conservative does not rely on the govt. It's sad that you have such strong belief in the govt. Actually, it's more naïve than sad.

December 3, 2013 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  23. Rudy NYC

tom l. wrote:

-----------------------–
    What's best? That's hard to say. Demand is the best answer. What's the worst way? That's easy, giving tax cuts to the wealthy. Want to know why it doesn't work. Greed. Your own arguments prove it. You refuse to pay taxes because some of it might be used to benefit someone who pays less taxes than you, never mind the fact that they pay less because they earn less. You don't want you tax dollars to help them at all.

This is the same mindset upheld by the right wing's so called "job creators'. Giving those Scrooges tax cuts isn't going to suddenly turn them into benevolent philanthropists creating American jobs for the hell of it all. It hasn't worked for the past 30 years, and it never will. Forget all of that clattertrap about the low unemployment during the Bush years. The right wing ignores the fact the they spent money like drunken sailors during the Bush years, which is what really stimulated the economy, not the Bush Tax Cuts.

December 3, 2013 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  24. The Real Tom Paine

-Donna

*******************
    My company's healthcare costs went down, Donna, and I doubt I am the only one. Is everyone's health insurance costs going down? No, but it would appear as though you cannot accept any success on the aprt of Obama. Your grand, sweeping statements of an apocolypse of freedom are nothing more than yet another exercise in hyperbole on your part.

December 3, 2013 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  25. The Real Tom Paine

-Tommy G

The Obamacare Smoke and Mirror Show just never ends...

FACTS:
    53 percent of those polled said Obama is not honest or trustworthy (CNN/ORC)
    40 percent said Obama can manage the government effectively
    53 percent said they do not see him as a strong and decisive leader

******************
    Are the Republican polling well these days? Where will they be after they try to shut the government down a few more times between now and Novermber 2014? Care to speculate?

December 3, 2013 11:34 am at 11:34 am |