December 3rd, 2013
9 months ago

Washington could still screw up your holidays

Washington (CNN) – Washington has started an unpopular tradition: wreaking havoc with the holidays. And it's possible it could happen again this year.

With less than a month before the New Year, doctors who treat Medicare patients don't yet know how much the government will reimburse them, parents aren't sure if their local Head Start program will turn away students, civilians in the military don't know how many days they could be furloughed, and families can't yet estimate the price of milk.

FULL STORY

Filed under: Washington D.C.
  1. just asking

and just what do people expect when the government puts its nose into every single aspect of our daily lives? we are their captive pawns to pay when told to pay, dance when told to dance, and sit down when told to sit down.

and it only gets worse and worse evry year as the leftist democrats want to control more and more of our lives.

December 3, 2013 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  2. Gurgyl

It is the reason USA needs TERM-LIMITS ON CONGRESS AND SENATE. Period.

December 3, 2013 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  3. The Real Tom Paine

Well, there's old Santa MItch and Boehner the Grinch, all ready to give us lumps of coal: know them, no matches to light the coal.

December 3, 2013 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  4. California

Yes, democrats have a way of doing that.

December 3, 2013 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  5. Silence DoGood

@just asking "leftist democrats want to control more and more of our lives"

Unlike the Radical Right that wants government to
    – tell us who we can marry
    – tell women what they can do or not with their bodies
    – tell us what religion should be endorsed by the government
    – tell us what subjects are evil for our children to learn
    – etc.

I will take liberal "control" (freedom and equality) over conservative moral control (judgement) any day.

December 3, 2013 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  6. don in albuquerque

Kinda like taking the food out of children's mouths just before Thanksgiving? Happy Holidays!!

December 3, 2013 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  7. tom l

@Ol Yeller
    "I still say all libertarians should go to Somalia or some other country with no government, so they will be in their Shrangri-La.
    We can then see just who the "economic ignoramuses" really are; and they can actually see what 'scary' really is.

It is humorous how someone who obvious sees America as failed Democracy due to simply having a government, yet they live here and enjoy the fruits of our society, all the while criticizing the very system formed by our blood, sweat, and tears that got us here. Unbelievable.
    I guess that extra year to get one's bachelor's degree somehow opens your eyes to the failure of America and shows you just how superior and intelligent one is because one voted for some schmuck who can't even beat bachmann, herman cain, or rick santorum.
    We bow to your superior intellect....
    (snicker)"

Since when did I ever say that our democracy is failed or that I believe in zero govt?? Tell me, weren't you the one saying that our country has been doing fine for 200 years under a system that had only been around for about 75? Perhaps you should take that extra year of college to learn something.

Oh, and because you seem to not know the definition:

libertarian:
    a person who believes that people should be allowed to do and say what they want without any interference from the government

anarchist:
    a person who rebels against any authority, established order, or ruling power

I don't believe in zero govt nor do I believe in absolutes. Do I believe everything that a pure libertarian does? Of course not. We must think for ourselves. Do you believe in everything that a liberal does? If you do, that's fine. But I don't. I am not black and white. I believe that we live in a complicated world so to say, de facto, that I believe in everything that libertarianism believes in would be lame.

And I'm curious why not one lefty on here has called out someone on their side who completely lied? Real TP? Why have you not called out Rudy on his lie??

December 3, 2013 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  8. Gonzoinhouston

It gets even better. When the joint committee fails to make a budget deal, the pubber senators try to get even for the loss of filibuster, the Tea Party gets antsy, and Sen. Cruz needs some media attention, we will have Shutdown 2, the Sequel. Government itsn't screwing up the holidays; Republicans are screwing up the government during the holidays!

December 3, 2013 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  9. don in albuquerque

@just asking-I wouldn't tell the women in some red states that are busily trying to sign their "probe exams" into law that the GOTP is not behind it, and sticking their noses where?

December 3, 2013 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  10. California

Already done, THANKS DEMOCRATS

December 3, 2013 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  11. smith

@Silence DoGood-Liberals are for freedom. I don`t think so, being forced to buy an insurance policy you don`t want or might not need is not freedom. In the 80`s the Pmrc(A liberal group ran by the Gore`s) wanted to ban and censor music and movies they didn`t agree with. Is that freedom? I really don`t think both parties right now about our freedoms.

December 3, 2013 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  12. CryBabies

@tom l...To "lie" is to be "Presidential." Bug-eyed Pelosi lies and says the President didn't lie in an effort to support him. What in the world makes you think these ideologues would do any differently? It's only a matter of time before this circus tent caves.

December 3, 2013 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  13. smith

@Silence DoGood-Liberals are for freedom. I don`t think so, being forced to buy an insurance policy you don`t want or might not need is not freedom. In the 80`s the Pmrc(A liberal group ran by the Gore`s) wanted to ban and censor music and movies they didn`t agree with. Is that freedom? I really don`t think both parties right now care about our freedoms.

December 3, 2013 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  14. Sniffit

As far as CNN is concerned, no "news" is good "news" unless it's bad news.

December 3, 2013 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  15. Sniffit

"And I'm curious why not one lefty on here has called out someone on their side who completely lied?"

I've done so quite a few times, so stop the pretending. I have no problem providing a correction and explanation in response to incorrect information from anyone. I've also, despite my own frequently bombastic ways, called out fellow liberals for taking things a bit far in terms of insults, etc.

December 3, 2013 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  16. Stuffit

This is because Obama is a Muslim and it is not his holiday.

December 3, 2013 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |