Dates set in Virginia attorney general recount
Republican Mark Obenshain
December 4th, 2013
10 months ago

Dates set in Virginia attorney general recount

(CNN) - The dates have been set for the recount to determine the Virginia attorney general's race, after Democrat Mark Herring beat Republican Mark Obenshain last month by a tiny margin of 165 votes out of 2.2 million.

Officials will begin counting votes in Fairfax county on December 16 and in the rest of the counties on December 17.

The dates were first reported by NBC12 in Richmond and confirmed by both campaigns.

Because the margin was less than 1%, Obenshain was legally allowed to request a recount. And because the margin was less than .5%, the public will pay for the costs.

A three-judge court, sitting in Richmond, Virginia, set the dates and will supervise the recount.

Filed under: Virginia
  1. The Real Tom Paine

Let him have his recount. Its the right thing to do.

December 4, 2013 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  2. Rudy NYC

I don't know what he's looking at, but I sure wish I had some of it.

December 4, 2013 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  3. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA -aka- Take Back The House -aka- No Redemption Votes

You lost Obenshain. Get over it!

December 4, 2013 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  4. Sniffit

"You lost Obenshain. Get over it!"

I dunno man. Losing the first election count by a small enough margin to have a right to hand the election over for a recount to a sympathetic and no doubt embittered fellow Teatroll Attorney General who is known to have taken bribes sounds like "#winning" to me. Watch how fast Cuccinelli's blanket, arbitrary rejection of provisional ballots from blue counties lands this thing in Court. Watch.

December 4, 2013 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  5. Ol' Yeller

STOP the vote counting.... stop IT NOW.... I have this court injunction right her.... er....
    What? Oh, He is republicant...
    COUNT them VOTES. Count them NOW. (here hide these in the river). QUIT trying to not count hanging chads and military votes and ballots I stamped on my way over here.... COUNT em' all.

And that, my friends, is how it works....

December 4, 2013 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  6. Jeff in Virginia

Obenshain's TV ads where he exploited his daughter were pretty disgusting, especially for a man who runs on supposed "family values".

The man deserves his recount, but it's also worth noting that the three Republicans who lost the three statewide races in VA have been anything but classy. No phone calls of congratulations.. just more Tea Party hatred.

December 4, 2013 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  7. Rudy NYC

Sniffit

"You lost Obenshain. Get over it!"

-------------------------
    Does this mean that the people who had to show up to validate their absentee ballots will have to show up all over again in order for their votes to count? Otherwise, their ballot gets thrown out. That would be ridiculous.

December 4, 2013 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  8. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA -aka- Take Back The House -aka- No Redemption Votes

"You lost Obenshain. Get over it!"

-----------------------------------------
    Don't say that Sniffit. As plausible as that sounds, I'd rather live in a state of denial ya know. I actually have to live here. smh

December 4, 2013 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |