December 9th, 2013
12 months ago

Ron Paul: Rand 'probably will' run in 2016

(CNN) – Former Republican presidential candidate Ron Paul indicated Monday that his son, Sen. Rand Paul from Kentucky, will likely run for president in 2016.

"I think he probably will. I mean, he's been on TV hinting that he very well might," Paul, a former congressman from Texas, said of his son's presidential aspirations to CNN's Jake Tapper appearing on "Erin Burnett OutFront."

A junior senator and tea party favorite, Rand Paul has said that he hasn’t decided on a possible run.

Is Paul running for president? Ask his wife

Paul, also a doctor whose bids in 2008 and 2012 for the GOP nomination were fueled largely by a strong Libertarian backing, said his son would ultimately make up his own mind but said he jokes that he should be careful what he wishes for.

"I kiddingly say that advice I give him (is) he better be very careful; (if) he's doing well, he might get elected, and that's a great burden and a major responsibility," Paul said, adding that he thinks Rand Paul is "handling himself quite well."

Paul was also the Libertarian candidate in 1988.

Paul, who agrees with President Barack Obama on very little, also said he backs the President in the ongoing negotiations with Iran about the country's nuclear program.

Ron Paul: Bitcoin could 'destroy the dollar'

"I hope the President is going to be successful in this," he said. "I'm cheering him on."

Paul called the interim deal reached last month with Iran "a great breakthrough" and only wishes talks had "started a lot sooner." He also said he's wary of Congress' attempts to add more sanctions.

A bipartisan group of senators is in talks to draft an agreement to impose new, stricter sanctions on the Iranians, beginning in about six months at the end of the interim deal. The White House and Secretary of State John Kerry say new sanctions could undermine the current deal.

Filed under: Rand Paul • Ron Paul
  1. Bubba

Awesome. Might as well give Hillary the keys to the Oval Office now and save some time.

December 9, 2013 10:58 pm at 10:58 pm |
  2. simplyput

Better to have less thunder in mouth, more lightening in hand.

Apache Proverb

December 9, 2013 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  3. ThinkAgain

And it's guaranteed he'll lose. I'm hoping he'll make a strong enough showing, though, to split the GOP into the Crazies and Super-Crazies. :)

December 9, 2013 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |
  4. ThinkAgain

No duh – it's the only reason you stayed in the race in 2012.

December 9, 2013 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |
  5. Lenny Pincus

Fantastic. Like father, like son. A weird fanatic whose ego will force him to run for president every four years–and lose, badly. A good reminder how strange right wing politics can get.

December 9, 2013 11:40 pm at 11:40 pm |
  6. tbone

Ron Paul was senile. His son is a sock puppet with no chance at winning anything.

December 9, 2013 11:42 pm at 11:42 pm |
  7. TexDoc

Rand Paul is the only candidate that has been addressing the national debt for years. If your under 40 you should seriously look at him, because the baby boomers are willing to die off and leave you the debt. The austerity measures will be very very painful.

December 9, 2013 11:44 pm at 11:44 pm |
  8. don

Rand is going to become president. He has such great ideas! But nothing will ultimately change unfortunately.

December 9, 2013 11:45 pm at 11:45 pm |
  9. Jim8

And probably not have a snowball's chance in hell of winning.

December 9, 2013 11:54 pm at 11:54 pm |
  10. iBod

LMAO! Who will vote for him? Certainly not me.

December 10, 2013 12:00 am at 12:00 am |
  11. factsareunpopular

doesn't matter. the sheep in the US will continue to tow the party line knowing they are one in the same

December 10, 2013 12:04 am at 12:04 am |
  12. Danlien

Same ol' G.O.P madness with a twist.

December 10, 2013 12:12 am at 12:12 am |
  13. bannister

Despite whatever flaws he might have, Rand Paul is better than 99% of the politicians out there today, both Republican and Democrat. I think he'd a decent president and I wish him well.

December 10, 2013 12:12 am at 12:12 am |
  14. Jon

Rand Paul should just save his money, & the Tea's money.

December 10, 2013 12:16 am at 12:16 am |
  15. truth

DR. PAUL...It's DR. PAUL, cnn. Some respect for a man who's earned it, please.

December 10, 2013 12:18 am at 12:18 am |
  16. scars

I used to actually like Ron Paul. Although I disagreed with him on many of his stances, I always felt he was a man of integrity. Then his son, Rand, got in the spotlight. I realize now that any man who could raise a lunatic like Rand is absolutely not someone to be respected. I'm betting that Ron Paul just kept a lot of his crazy behind closed doors. His son, having grown up listening to it, isn't able to keep a handle on his crazy in public. America needs less of the Paul family, not more.

December 10, 2013 12:19 am at 12:19 am |
  17. rednip

The Aqua Buddha will be amazing on the campaign trail. It'll be like a 'full employment act' for comedians.

December 10, 2013 12:19 am at 12:19 am |
  18. Jessica

Like father like son..both are cuckoo!

December 10, 2013 12:25 am at 12:25 am |
  19. LaLa

never give up

December 10, 2013 12:26 am at 12:26 am |
  20. Mitchell

" (if) he's doing well, he might get elected, and that's a great burden and a major responsibility," Paul said, adding that he thinks Rand Paul is "handling himself quite well."

Oh – I wouldn't worry about that too much – LOL

December 10, 2013 12:42 am at 12:42 am |
  21. Teamski

Run and lose.

December 10, 2013 12:47 am at 12:47 am |
  22. Beverly

I hope Rand runs. It'd be nice to have somebody who isn't so entrenched in political crap on the ballot in 2016 (oh please, ABC=anybody but Clinton). I also agree with the Paul opinions I've read for the most part. I'm really tired of socialist liberals running this country.

December 10, 2013 12:53 am at 12:53 am |
  23. allenwoll

Away, one hopes !

December 10, 2013 12:54 am at 12:54 am |
  24. American Firster

Good for Rand, though I doubt he has a sincere chance.

The two choices will be servants to the banks; Ted Cruz and Hillary Clinton. Cruz could do better than many expect; remembering the crazy mormon only lost to the multicultural Superhero by 3% of the popular vote we understand the (D) are not invincible. With Obama's lackluster Presidency, few accomplishments, and an aging Clinton the door could be open for Ted.

December 10, 2013 12:57 am at 12:57 am |
  25. Terry Hull

Yes, Rand, please PLEASE run. And please PLEASE win the nomination. The Democrats need your help.

December 10, 2013 12:59 am at 12:59 am |