December 12th, 2013
4 months ago

House Democrat 'convinced' Ted Cruz will run for president

(CNN) - A House Democrat who joined Republican Sen. Ted Cruz on a congressional delegation to a memorial service for Nelson Mandela in South Africa said he has "no doubt" the Texas conservative will run for president in 2016.

Rep. Elijah Cummings of Maryland said Cruz, considered a potential 2016 presidential candidate, tried to dodge the issue but admitted that he had plans to travel to states considered crucial in the early presidential nominating process.

"I asked him, was he going to New Hampshire, was he going to South Carolina, Iowa, and he said he'd probably be going to all of those places and he would be doing the things a presidential candidate would normally be doing."

"But he wouldn't say yes or no, but it was quite clear to me," Cummings said. "I have no doubt about it."

The delegation left early Monday morning to pay tribute to the iconic anti-apartheid leader at a service in Johannesburg, South Africa.

Republican Sen. Ted Cruz, congressional Democrats to commemorate Mandela in South Africa

Cummings also said Cruz got an earful from the almost two dozen House Democrats, mostly members of the Congressional Black Caucus, on the 20-plus hour plane ride to South Africa, as members of the caucus saw it as an opportunity to tell Cruz how they really feel.

"He so happened to be sitting beside Gwen Moore, Congresswoman Moore, who is not shy, so he was sitting beside her for some 20 hours, but all throughout we had a pretty good time on the plane to talk," he said, characterizing the atmosphere on the plane as fluid, with lawmakers talking and moving up and down the aisles.

Cummings said during the flight, he and the senator discussed their diverging opinions on President Barack Obama's Affordable Care Act.

"He said Obamacare is not the proper way to go about this and I said, ‘Well, Senator, tell me what you would do. We need to go about fixing it.’ "

Cruz, who clearly held the minority political philosophy on the plane, told CNN in a statement the conversation on the plane was "lively, spirited and productive."

"We have terrific discussions among the delegations on a host of issues."

Cruz joined the delegation despite intense criticism of Mandela from some of his supporters responding to a respectful tribute the Texas Republican issued after the leader died December 5.

Filed under: House Democrats • Ted Cruz
  1. current state of the union

This guy is a glory hound, does he believe the garbage he spews, I hope not, being that extreme may win campaign contributions, but after the gop primary, the one left standing will be unelectable, there is just too many damaging things they have done, shutdown just one of many, their hypocracy is unending the fiasco over the memorial closings, publicly blaming the dems after taking credit for the shutdown, hoping your dumb enough to not make the connection, that's their base, rich and the uninformed, and hatred keeps them from seeking the truth, with the gop you dont have to have any reason other than that to be accepted, not realising your cutting your own throat, not mature enough to make the right choice for your own future, the desire to feel justified in your prejudice is worth it to them. Sad pathetic and ignorant, their doomed without you, wake up for gods sake, what have they done that you feel will make your life better, bashing the unions, really, you likely enjoy benefits they fought for, the rich business owners will have you work for peanuts if they could and you help them dismantle the only entity alive to help you, the gop are masters at getting you to screw yourself on their behalf, fools one and all.

December 13, 2013 09:25 am at 9:25 am |
  2. Lynda/Minnesota

@ tom I: "The bottom line is you have no idea other than conjecture and you are just, quite simply, a very small man for leveraging the death of a great man to score a political point with your "gang"."

See #2 of your own comment above.

December 13, 2013 09:33 am at 9:33 am |
  3. current state of the union

Tom l, I believe you just made his point for him, thank you.

December 13, 2013 09:35 am at 9:35 am |
  4. current state of the union

Shameful to use a great mans death for personal reasons, just what the hell do you think Cruz did, difference is I paid for it

December 13, 2013 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  5. current state of the union

And to think otherwise makes you naive, wish that weren't the case, but I see no reason to think otherwise, without taking him at face value, which gets egg on your face IMHO

December 13, 2013 09:41 am at 9:41 am |
  6. "You can keep your plan, PERIOD." -- Lie of the Year from the Liar of the Century

Demorcats are really scared of an intelligent latino like Cruz running for office. All of their hispanic support would dry up. There tactics of smear, divde and conquer would fail.

December 13, 2013 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  7. The Real Tom Paine

December 13, 2013 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  8. current state of the union

Can't hit the . Button to save my life.....got it.....

December 13, 2013 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  9. The Real Tom Paine

-"You can keep your plan, PERIOD." - Lie of the Year from the Liar of the Century

**************
    Hispanic support is not all of a piece, so your comment is a incorrect assumption from the get-go. Hispanics will view a candidate who favors their views on immigration, and since the Cuban community enjoys a status that the rest of the Hispaninc community does not, Cruz will have little, if any impact on Hispanic support. As far as divide and conquer is concerned, the GOP has used it for decades with regards to race, ethnicity, gender, rural vs suburban vs urbanm etc...the list goes on and on. Don't think that because his last name is Cruz that Hispanics outside of South Florida will flock to his banner.

December 13, 2013 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  10. Dead Bear

I personally think tom l is terrified that the GOP may have lost all credibility with voters due to their poor record in Congress and, as John Boehner has brought to the public's attention, the fact that the GOP representatives' integrity been completely compromised by special interest groups.

December 13, 2013 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  11. Fair is Fair

The Real Tom Paine

-------
    Hear, hear.

December 13, 2013 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  12. don in albuquerque

@The Real Tom Paine-In the words of a past progressive president-"I welcome their hatred." What you and a few others are experiencing is an attack by paid or just outright fascist groups. Freedom, Donna, Just Saying, Tom I, and others rarely offer hard facts to back up what they say but merely stand in the back and scream the less intelligent on. Kind of like the twirpy little kid in grade school who stands back while two guys square off and screams "Lets you and him fight." Cowardly? Of course. But historically you will note that these type people love to hide behind names like freedom, patriot, and so on. They condemn liberals while never noting that without liberals, they would not even have a country, or a religion. Adams, Jefferson,Franklin, indeed the prez that many of them have thrown under the bus,
    Lincoln, liberals one and all. Even Jebus can join their ranks. Their heros, are more along the lines of, Franco, Peron, and Mussolini. Be proud they hold you in contempt and place you with the former group. This goes for you too, Rudy.

December 13, 2013 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  13. Denise

Thanks for the laugh CNN! Comedy Central doesn't come on until later tonite....

December 13, 2013 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  14. rs

Well, Mr. Cruz must be running for something, because he certainly isn't doing his job as a Senator of the United States.He is in fact a "welfare queen" based upon the salary collects, and the work he does (i.e. nothing). He isn"t even working for America as near as I can see with his lying advertisements about the ACA (that STILL say it can be stopped and that Congress is exempt!).
    Let's look at the facts: Cruz has led the call for obstructing the functioning of Congress with the unwarrented use of the filibuster and the personal hold; he has led the call for government shutdown (and did so AGAIN yesterday); he crows about his role in shutting down the government in October; he believes the U.S should default on its financial obligations even though doing so would wreck the government's credit rating and probably crash the world's economy again; he believes we should fight Iran, and not use diplomacy. His party meanwhile love laws like the one just passed in Michigan requiring women to buy "Abortion insurance" (which no one offers) if they feel they might ever need an abortion in their lifetime because of rape- the GOP intends for women to have that baby no matter what, and is meddling in the insurance business by banning a perfectly legal, and Constitutional personal medical procedure.

In other words, Ted Cruz is little better that the people we fight in the War on Terror, the fundamentalist, radical extremist who don't believe in Democracy- except thet he lives in Texas.

December 13, 2013 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  15. Sniffit

"I guess the new thing here for some not-so-clever people here to post a comment using someone else's name and trying to fool people"

Hehe...that's a pervasive game on all sorts of comment boards when the site doesn't have a commenting system that utilizes logins. I often just correct it or point it out and move on, but it's nothing to let get under your skin. Sometimes they're even funny or someone else will call them out before you get to it yourself. It's kindof fun to see yourself parodied.

December 13, 2013 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  16. The Real Tom Paine

-Fair is Fair

The Real Tom Paine

---
    Hear, hear.
    ************
    You're always welcome. You are one of the few exceptions to the rule in here.

December 13, 2013 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  17. Sniffit

"When liberals on here make comments about conservatives on here that they are being paid"

That's just more "welcome to the joys of an internet comment board hobby". People from all positions do it across the board all the time. The only take away from these things...the doppelganger game or direct attacks of other kinds...is that you've gotten under their skin, which is maybe your goal or maybe it's not. People don't generally lash out at the milquetoast comments tho. Gotta just stick to not really giving a rat's ass what anyone else thinks.

December 13, 2013 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  18. Sniffit

"Demorcats are really scared of an intelligent latino like Cruz running for office. All of their hispanic support would dry up. "

Cruz doesn't poll very well with the Hispanic community. Not in TX, not nationally. Contrary to popular conservative dogma, minority groups don't just glom onto a candidate they can "call their own." They vote based on policy positions and what is important to them, both personally and as a community.

December 13, 2013 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  19. tom l

"...2. a lame and cowardly attempt at character assassination and basically makes me feel that you have lost the argument so you make weak assertions with zero foundation nor fact...."
    ---–
    Practice what you preach, tom. Put up, or shut up. You've been calling people by various names since got here. We've had enough of your hypocritical tom foolery. Now, look at you. Your taking a "i'm holier than thou" stance would be laughable if were not so hypocritical.

=====

Ok, I'll bite. Give me an example where I have resorted to a false character assassination of making up something about another person on here and making it appear as fact like you have done with me on not one, but now two different occasions. Or am I wrong that you have labeled me as a few years out of high school and being paid to post on here?
    I have never called our president any silly names like Odummer or stupid things like that. I refer to the healthcare law as the ACA. I don't call you a dumbocrat or something lame like that (teaklan, rethug, blah, blah blah). I have repeatedly stated that I am no better than anyone and respect your right to have a difference of opinion and clearly without the stance that I am better than you. So, please give me examples. I called you a "small man", which is not childish name calling, rather it is what someone is when they politicize the passing of Mandela. So there you have it.

December 13, 2013 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  20. rs

He's certainly running for something, because he sure isn't doing the job of a U.S. Senator that he's getting paid for. It's more like he's a member of the Russian Parlaiment (or some other nation), that an American working for Americans.

December 13, 2013 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  21. tom l

---–

=====

I will acknowledge absolutely calling Sniffit a racist which is wrong and I will refrain. I will continue to point out that I believe he is wrong as how he characterizes the TEA Party and those that disagree with President Obama, but I will not refer to him as a racist because I would rather stay on point and continue to howl at the moon. The weird thing is that I have grown to actually respect Sniffit for his passion (although I do think he is wrong about almost everything :) )

December 13, 2013 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  22. Warren

He doesn't stand a chance of winning the presidential election in 2016, let alone the GOP nomination. He is even to wacky for them..

December 13, 2013 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  23. tom l

@The Real TP
    "I love how I'm been characterized as being part of a "gang" recently. I guess that explains my efforts at sagging in my office and going out taggin with Rudy and others recently.

On a more serious note, its been getting pretty nasty in here recently, with accusations running back and forth instead of a vigorous, honest debate about the topics at hand. People, in their self-described PSAs, are decrying what they feel is unfair treatment while engaging in exactly the same behavior themselves. You can get your point across without demeaning others-yes, I know I've done it, but gets a little tiresome when people come in her constantly with a chip on their shoulders. Ignore them, if they get personal. There will always be troublemakers, individuals who have never seen or used a dictionary or grammar book, and people who cannot tolerate the views of others simply because of some egocentric purity test. If you don't like that, stay off these boards. Do yourself and others a favor if you can't put forth a coherent argument without resorting to insults. The Ed Schultz/Anne Coulter School of civility only teaches contempt, not respect. If you believe in something, great, make your case, but leave the infantile taunting out of it. I'm sick of it all."

=======

Agreed. The only reason I use the term "gang" is because around Tgiving that's how Lynda/Data Driven/DMFO were referring to the liberals on here. There were saying happy Tgive to "our gang" so that's why I say it. I don't think you're gonna go out tagging (I do chuckle when you say that though). I know you are a fine and upstanding individual who just has a different point of view. I think we all just want what's best for our country that we all appear to love very much.

December 13, 2013 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  24. Rudy NYC

tom l has posted today:

Also, when either Donna or True Conservative post something that sounds like the M and M girls (Mallory and Marie), it's fake.
    -------------------------
    Name calling again, tom l? No. no way. Not little tom. Little tom, not to be mistaken for big Tom, with a capital "T", would never call people names. He's told us so himself. He'd never stoop to character assassination. No, not litle tom. No way.

December 13, 2013 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  25. Winning

@"You can keep your plan, PERIOD." - Lie of the Year from the Liar of the Century

Just because race is super important to how you vote, doesn't mean that it is for most Hispanics. I know it may shock you, but we actually vote on what a candidate stands for, not just because he/she is "Hispanic."

December 13, 2013 10:35 am at 10:35 am |