December 12th, 2013
4 months ago

House Democrat 'convinced' Ted Cruz will run for president

(CNN) - A House Democrat who joined Republican Sen. Ted Cruz on a congressional delegation to a memorial service for Nelson Mandela in South Africa said he has "no doubt" the Texas conservative will run for president in 2016.

Rep. Elijah Cummings of Maryland said Cruz, considered a potential 2016 presidential candidate, tried to dodge the issue but admitted that he had plans to travel to states considered crucial in the early presidential nominating process.

"I asked him, was he going to New Hampshire, was he going to South Carolina, Iowa, and he said he'd probably be going to all of those places and he would be doing the things a presidential candidate would normally be doing."

"But he wouldn't say yes or no, but it was quite clear to me," Cummings said. "I have no doubt about it."

The delegation left early Monday morning to pay tribute to the iconic anti-apartheid leader at a service in Johannesburg, South Africa.

Republican Sen. Ted Cruz, congressional Democrats to commemorate Mandela in South Africa

Cummings also said Cruz got an earful from the almost two dozen House Democrats, mostly members of the Congressional Black Caucus, on the 20-plus hour plane ride to South Africa, as members of the caucus saw it as an opportunity to tell Cruz how they really feel.

"He so happened to be sitting beside Gwen Moore, Congresswoman Moore, who is not shy, so he was sitting beside her for some 20 hours, but all throughout we had a pretty good time on the plane to talk," he said, characterizing the atmosphere on the plane as fluid, with lawmakers talking and moving up and down the aisles.

Cummings said during the flight, he and the senator discussed their diverging opinions on President Barack Obama's Affordable Care Act.

"He said Obamacare is not the proper way to go about this and I said, ‘Well, Senator, tell me what you would do. We need to go about fixing it.’ "

Cruz, who clearly held the minority political philosophy on the plane, told CNN in a statement the conversation on the plane was "lively, spirited and productive."

"We have terrific discussions among the delegations on a host of issues."

Cruz joined the delegation despite intense criticism of Mandela from some of his supporters responding to a respectful tribute the Texas Republican issued after the leader died December 5.

Filed under: House Democrats • Ted Cruz
  1. current state of the union

Agreed Don, facts get them every time, but they clamour on, they know they can look up the topic and get the truth, but they don't, they desperately want to hate and the gop welcomes that with open arms, that's your common thread,hatred. And not having to admit its juvenile, but rather use it to get you onboard. Seriously, when's the last time a gop had anything positive to say?

December 13, 2013 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  2. Silence DoGood

"Demorcats are really scared of an intelligent latino like Cruz running for office."

Cruz is so unfiltered and extreme it would be a blessing unparalleled in recent history for progressives. Main stream voters would run from him.

I am tempted to parody Brer Rabbit "don't fling me in that brier-patch".
    Oh yes I am so scared of Cruz, so please, please do not run for office!!

December 13, 2013 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  3. Denise

Just look at the number of right wing radio programs compared to liberal ones. Can't dittoheads think for themselves? Do they not work? Tis the season to be jolly; get out and get a life!

December 13, 2013 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  4. John the Historian

Cruz can not run for president. He was born in Alberta, Canada. If the SCOTUS allows him to run they are really stretching the constitution.

December 13, 2013 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  5. John the Historian

Cruz was born in Alberta, Canada. He can not run for president. If the SCOTUS allows him to run they are really stretching the consitution!!!!!

December 13, 2013 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  6. Sniffit

"House Democrat 'convinced' Ted Cruz will run for president"

Meh. He'll lose. On a more fundamental level, the thing I think is more concerning is that Cruz will continue to run his mouth.

December 13, 2013 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  7. Denise

The Trumpster already has his posse out looking for his birth certificate. He is unable to do it himself because he's in between wives and in the process of bankrupting another company....

December 13, 2013 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  8. Sheila

I love how the liberals are scared stiff!

December 13, 2013 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  9. Denise

Why doesn't Boss Hogg put himself out there and actually run for something, anything......

December 13, 2013 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  10. Denise

Shakin in my boots, lol......

December 13, 2013 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  11. Silence DoGood

@John the Historian
    ----------
    The GOP does not need rules. Look how Bush torpedoed their precious "states rights" of Florida to get the SCOTUS to take the short cut to end the election. Morality is a nice banner for the GOP but not so much in practice.

December 13, 2013 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  12. Denise

Anymore dittoheads predictions or analysis?

December 13, 2013 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  13. don in albuquerque

@Sheila–How do you mistake laughter for being scared stiff?

December 13, 2013 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  14. The Real Tom Paine

-tom l

@The Real TP
    "I love how I'm been characterized as being part of a "gang" recently. I guess that explains my efforts at sagging in my office and going out taggin with Rudy and others recently.

On a more serious note, its been getting pretty nasty in here recently, with accusations running back and forth instead of a vigorous, honest debate about the topics at hand. People, in their self-described PSAs, are decrying what they feel is unfair treatment while engaging in exactly the same behavior themselves. You can get your point across without demeaning others-yes, I know I've done it, but gets a little tiresome when people come in her constantly with a chip on their shoulders. Ignore them, if they get personal. There will always be troublemakers, individuals who have never seen or used a dictionary or grammar book, and people who cannot tolerate the views of others simply because of some egocentric purity test. If you don't like that, stay off these boards. Do yourself and others a favor if you can't put forth a coherent argument without resorting to insults. The Ed Schultz/Anne Coulter School of civility only teaches contempt, not respect. If you believe in something, great, make your case, but leave the infantile taunting out of it. I'm sick of it all."

=======

Agreed. The only reason I use the term "gang" is because around Tgiving that's how Lynda/Data Driven/DMFO were referring to the liberals on here. There were saying happy Tgive to "our gang" so that's why I say it. I don't think you're gonna go out tagging (I do chuckle when you say that though). I know you are a fine and upstanding individual who just has a different point of view. I think we all just want what's best for our country that we all appear to love very much.
    ****************************
    Absolutely. I hope that sentiment does not get lost in here ( althought I doubt some ever would admit their ideological opposites share their love of country). Lets keep it civil, on point, and know when to stop so we don't drag out some obscure point and beat it so much we forget what we were talking about. Life is too short.

December 13, 2013 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  15. Rudy NYC

tom l wrote:

Ok, I'll bite. Give me an example where I have resorted to a false character assassination of making up something about another person on here and making it appear as fact like you have done with me on not one, but now two different occasions. Or am I wrong that you have labeled me as a few years out of high school and being paid to post on here?
    -------------------------
    Yeah, you've got it wrong about me. I've never accused you of being paid. I've only described you as a neo-libertarian, who is a Rand Paul supporter. I haven't labeled you as being a few years out of high school. You did that to yourself, and continue to prove it on almost an hourly basis.

"You've had some beauties lately and this ranks up there. So "Detroit" is a city. "Michigan" is a state. Detroit has a city council and a mayor that make the economic decisions for that city. The governor runs the entire state. Do you know who Keith Butler is? He is the only republican that has been elected to the Detroit City Council since WWII. Really? You're going to try to claim that a repub is the reason for Detroit's bankruptcy? Really??"

Your ignorance of so many of the most basic of facts [like not knowing about Michigan's Emergency Manager Law] means you're either terribly misinformed, or terribly inexperienced, or even both. Ready to cry "uncle", yet.

December 13, 2013 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  16. Anonymous

"I love how the liberals are scared stiff"......

Scared of Ted Cruz? Not by a long shot. He shows his egotistical, self-serving ways every time he opens his
    mouth. Only the tea party loves him, and they are too radical for anybody to accept.

Ted Cruz's accomplishments are laughable: Coloring book, shut-down the government, spend our money
    travelling all over to boost his "creds" (not working), and his voting record is atrocious. Walking out on a
    speaker during a "celebration of life", and as someone said, not listening to his President speak. Not what I
    woud call a charming guy.

I'm not scared of Ted, but he is disgusting and has done nothing for Texas, and much less for America.

December 13, 2013 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  17. Larry in Houston

LOL – if the right wing or reinse prebus wants to give him the nod, then I say, let them go for it....Hate to be a bearer of bad tidings, but if this is all they got, or if they think this guy is their "winner" – they're in trouble...

To be honest, I was surprised that they actually let the bonehead go back to cincy....maybe they felt sorry for him, and didn't want to stay up there in D.C. during the holidays

December 13, 2013 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  18. wendel

can't believe on post called cruz an intellectual. What a joke . Of course the troll will run he has been playing to his base right along. I guess there wont be any fall out because he was a Canadian. unlike all the repo crap about the president. If they vote this clown in they get exactly what they deserve. Wha'ts wrong with the repos????? Even the majority of repo congressmen think this guys is a jerk.

December 13, 2013 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  19. Thomas

I would add Rush and some others to that list.

December 13, 2013 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  20. Winning

I like how whenever the left doesn't like someone, the right tells us how scared we are. We are not scared of Ted Cruz. We are not scared of Sarah Palin. They are godsends to the left, if you want to know the truth. They drive voters to us better than any ad campaign or policy position ever will.

December 13, 2013 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  21. The Real Tom Paine

-Thomas

I would add Rush and some others to that list.
    ****************
    I was being even-handed: I despise propaganda, regardless of where it comes from, They look for affirmation, not information, and don't give a damn if the truth gets in the way.

December 13, 2013 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  22. Ol' Yeller

"I love how the liberals are scared stiff!"

Stiff at the thought of Cruz running- Maybe.
    Scared- Not in the least... quite the opposite. 'Elated' might be a good word to describe my feelings on the right actiually running that wing nut.
    Could they be so stupid? Probably.
    Here is an amusing exercise... If cruz is their front man, who will be second on the ticket?
    If they are that crazy... let's have fun... I say George Zimmerman (or the interpreter guy from Mandela's funeral thing).
    Anybody beat that?

December 13, 2013 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  23. Thomas

@"You can keep your plan, PERIOD." - Lie of the Year from the Liar of the Century
    Demorcats are really scared of an intelligent latino like Cruz running for office. All of their hispanic support would dry up. There tactics of smear, divde and conquer would fail.

===

I don't think so , most latinos have contempt for cuban americans such as Mr.Cruz and Mr.Rubio who received special treatment and privileges.

Also are you paid to post here , yes or no ?

There are people posting here that are paid by special interest groups. It's perfectly legal , however if the are asked and say there not its then illegal. Thats why a few posting here will not answer that question . They will have others run a defense for them.

Tom I , there is a difference between a persons belief on policy , and that of Propaganda and Disinformation .

December 13, 2013 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  24. just saying

Anonymous
    He shows his egotistical, self-serving ways every time he opens his
    Ted Cruz's accomplishments are laughable:
    ---

are you talking about obama or ted cruz??? all of what you siad applies to obama as well.

December 13, 2013 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  25. Dallas

Scared of what? America is not going to allow an egomaniacal buffoon like Ted Cruz become POTUS. I have more faith in America than that! 2016 will probably be a race between Hillary Clinton and Chris Christie.

December 13, 2013 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |