Obama wishes Washington was like 'House of Cards'
December 17th, 2013
8 months ago

Obama wishes Washington was like 'House of Cards'

(CNN) - President Barack Obama said he wishes Washington worked a little more like it does in the Netflix series "House of Cards."

Kicking off a meeting with tech executives at the White House on Tuesday, Obama asked if Netflix's CEO Reed Hastings brought advanced copies of the hit web series, which enters its second season in February and focuses on Kevin Spacey's power-hungry character, Rep. Frank Underwood, as he skillfully maneuvers politics inside the Beltway.

The CEOs laughed and asked if the President would consider a cameo.

"I wish things were that ruthlessly efficient," Obama joked. "It's true... Kevin Spacey, I said, man, this guy's getting a lot of stuff done."

Cameras were allowed in the room briefly at the beginning of the meeting before being ushered out.

Obama sat down with Hastings, Tim Cook of Apple, Eric Schmidt of Google, as well as executives from Twitter, Microsoft, Facebook, Salesforce, Etsy, Dropbox, Yahoo!, Zynga, Sherpa Global, Comcast, LinkedIn and AT&T.

The meeting was expected to focus on performance issues with HealthCare.gov – the federal Obamacare website, but the President was also expected to address NSA spying.

Tech industry leaders have asked the Obama administration to change its practices. A federal judge said in a preliminary ruling on Monday that bulk collection of telephone metadata by the NSA is probably unconstitutional.

CNN's Dana Davidsen contributed to this report.

Filed under: President Obama
  1. Would You Look at That

" President Barack Obama said he wishes Washington worked a little more like it does in the Netflix series "House of Cards." [...] the hit web series, which enters its second season in February and focuses on Kevin Spacey's power-hungry character" – no coincidence here... Obama is merely on a power trip.

December 17, 2013 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  2. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA -aka- Take Back The House -aka- No Redemption Votes

Politics is always efficient in Hollywood. Never in real life though. Anyway, I think the NSA story is more likely what the President is discussing with these privacy invaders. Hey, people sign up on these social networks, don't read the fine print and then have the audacity to complain about privacy. How idiotic is that?!?!?

December 17, 2013 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  3. Fair is Fair

Hey Obama – the Federal government IS a house of cards. One of these days someone's going to add another card and the whole thing's going to come crashing down.

December 17, 2013 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  4. Rudy NYC

Prez can keep "House of Cards" Give me "Game of Thrones." They've been saying "Winter is Coming" for three years, and it had better get here soon. My spoiler alert friend, who has read the novels, tells me with a sinister grin that "Winter" finally arrives in season four. I think he's pulling my leg because he says "Winter" with quotes. You can hear it in his voice.

December 17, 2013 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  5. Scott

Obamacare is a house of cards. To be shuffled and dealt with.

December 17, 2013 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  6. Sniffit

"Prez can keep "House of Cards" Give me "Game of Thrones." They've been saying "Winter is Coming" for three years, and it had better get here soon. My spoiler alert friend, who has read the novels, tells me with a sinister grin that "Winter" finally arrives in season four. I think he's pulling my leg because he says "Winter" with quotes. You can hear it in his voice"

Hehe...I've been reading them since the first one came out and I picked it up randomly in high school. I have so much fun watching the looks on friends' faces when they see what happens in the TV show. I'll tell you what I tell them when they beg for hints: YOU'LL SEE!!!!!

December 17, 2013 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  7. simplyput

How totally, transparently embarassing; a leader just doesn't think this way, people. Not even funny.

December 17, 2013 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  8. O'drama ya Mama

Dutch/Bad Newz, VA -aka- Take Back The House -aka- No Redemption Votes

December 17, 2013 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
    _________________________________________________________________________________________________

So true. Most likely all the people who complain about their privacy being invaded update their facebook pages 20 times a day and have pictures of all their family members in their main photo. They probably tag themselves everywhere they go and constantly "like" all their favorite bands, foods, places, people etc.

December 17, 2013 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  9. Tampa Tim

Why are baggers always so angry? They get to keep their worthless junk policies, and 35 million more people will have access to affordable care? Sounds like a win for everyone.

December 17, 2013 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  10. Tampa Tim

As long as we can prevent republicans from starting another war, the US is on the right track to recover from republican malfeasance.

December 17, 2013 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |