December 17th, 2013
9 months ago

Poll: Obama loses large lead over GOP on key issues

Washington (CNN) - Talk about a turnaround.

According to a new ABC News/Washington Post poll, 45% of Americans say they trust Republicans to do a better job handling the economy, with 41% saying they have more trust in President Barack Obama.

It was a different story last December, when the President fresh off re-election had a 54%-36% advantage on the same question. That's a 22 percentage point swing over the past year.

The survey also indicates that Obama's 58%-32% advantage over the GOP last December on protecting the middle class has shrunk to a 46%-40% edge now.

And the President's 50%-35% advantage over Congressional Republicans a year ago on doing a better job coping with the main problems the nation faces has disappeared, with the public now split at 41%.

According to the poll, Obama's lost ground on these measures with women, liberals and younger Americans, all key supporters.

Overall, Obama has a 43% approval rating in the new poll, with 55% giving him a thumbs down on how he's performing in the White House.

The President stood at 54%-42% approval/disapproval last December, a month after his 2012 re-election victory.

The ABC News/Washington Post poll's presidential approval rating is in the same ballpark as just about all the other recent non-partisan, live operator national surveys, which put Obama in the low 40's to upper 30's.

The President's approval ratings started declining in most national surveys starting in June, as Obama dealt with one controversy after another.

There were leaks about National Security Agency surveillance as well as revelations about IRS targeting of conservative groups. This all was followed by the disastrous rollout of Obamacare and controversy over Obama's promises that Americans could keep their current insurance coverage under the new health law if they chose. Many cannot.

Majority support budget deal

The survey indicates that half the public approves of the budget agreement that overwhelming passed the House last week and Tuesday easily cleared procedural hurdles in the Senate.

According to the survey, 35% give the deal, struck by Republican House Budget Chairman Paul Ryan and his Democratic Senate counterpart Patty Murray, a thumbs down.

The poll indicates a partisan divide - with 61% of Democrats and 52% of Independents, but only 39% of Republicans, supporting the deal. The agreement would set spending levels, reduce the deficit, relieve some of the forced spending cuts known as sequestration, and would prevent another government shutdown in January, when current funding runs out.

The ABC News/Washington Post poll was conducted December 12-15, with 1,005 adults nationwide questioned by telephone. The survey's overall sampling error is plus or minus 3.5 percentage points.

Filed under: Economy • Polls • President Obama
  1. Warren

Thank you JOAN.. someone with some Common Scents. I haven't had a land line in years.

December 17, 2013 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  2. Democrats,Obama bad for America.

Dutch/Bad Newz, VA -aka- Take Back The House -aka- No Redemption Votes

Oh yes! More biased polls being reported by conservative leaning CNN. I trust the GOTP as much as I believe I can toss an elephant. Here are the promises the President made and kept that I care about:

Reform Healthcare – check
    Capture/Kill Bin Laden – check
    End the Iraq War – check
    Fair pay for women – check
    Economic Recovery – check
    ______________________________

Wrong. Heathcare, totally screwed up Lied about keeping insurance
    End Iraq War. tropps still being killed
    Economic Recovery- Umemployemnt still high, more people on welfare then ever before.
    The thing is OBama has done more damage to thsi country then any President then before.
    Fast and Furious
    Soloyndra
    Bengahzi
    Spying Scandal
    Sign Small Arms Treaty

So tell me how good he has been.

December 17, 2013 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  3. ron

Obama has a 364/24/7 propaganda machine courtesy of the mainstream media outlets who adore him and his ideology.

December 17, 2013 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  4. Scott

These liberals crack me up posting on here. No wonder these people are low information as they are so oblivious to what's going on in the world. Obama is a thug. In the literal sense. The economy stinks. It's limping along and anemic . Wages have dropped precipitously. Millions more in poverty. Millions more on food stamps. Now the scandals. Benghazi scandal, Fast and Furious scandal, NSA scandal, IRS scandal, Census Bureau scandal, Obamacare scandal. This moron and his cabinet should be put in jail. Oh, not to mention other world leaders are laughing at him. Russia and China are walking all over this clown because that's what he is. We are in serious trouble people. Thanks to the liberal minset. Losers. all of them.

December 17, 2013 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  5. barryinlasvegas

Always interesting to read the comments on CNN when the poling numbers are not favorable for Obama. These people simply can't accept the facts. When this same poling group had favorable ratings for Obama, their methodology was just fine. Now – not so much.

Hey Obama and Democrat lovers – Embrace the suck – as your other glorious leader suggested.

December 17, 2013 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  6. Lolo

I agree with Joan. The right wingnuts are the only ones with land lines and they are racist and old. They are the only ones stuck in the past. If people want to believe this crap CNN is posting go right ahead. I for one do not trust the GOP/TP as far as I can throw them. They are eating their own and they expect people to vote for them when they can not clean their own house or get their act together. They are trying to play nice now to get elected for the mid-terms and yes the crazies in the clown car have selective memory and will vote for these fools. The sad part is that the GOP/TP keep doing the same thing and expecting different results. Only in America.

December 17, 2013 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  7. TONE

This poll is a bunch of bull, who in their right minds will trust the Gop to run an economy, well if Americans are that stupid put them in office and say bye bye to your jobs, your wage increase, your social security, your medicaid,and your health care,also prepare to loose your homes, and by the way prepare to have rich kids kill your family members and use the affluenza defense. I am not buying this.

December 17, 2013 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  8. ThinkAgain

Anyone who thinks repubs are better at handling the economy is an idiot. There's no polite way to say it.

Repub economic policies are PROVEN FAILURES, folks. Tax cuts for the wealthy result in job creation OVERSEAS, not here. Why? Because repubs don't want to pay living wages, repubs don't want to have to take the environment, worker safety or product safety into account.

Repub deregulation results in boom-bust economies – time and time and time and time again. Repubs wanted to privatize Social Security – gee, what a great idea THAT would have been, given we've got a bunch of gambling addicts on Wall Street (who, BTW, want to privatize profits and socialize losses).

Bush cut taxes during wartime – NEVER done in our nation's history before. The Clinton surplus went up in smoke because of that. Medicare Part D? Unfunded. No Child Left Behind? Unfunded.

GW's dad called trickle-down "voodoo economics" – and he was right. Even the architect of trickle-down, David Stockman, admits it's a failure.

So if you want a repeat of 2008 and have the global economy crash again, be my guest and vote for a repub.

If you want to continue the monthly private sector job growth since May 2010 because of PRESIDENT OBAMA'S policies, then vote for a Dem.

It's that simple ...

December 17, 2013 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  9. anotherGDlefty

I love polls, my favorite was the one predicting President RMoney...
    O lordy lord we gots another poll comin down the pike!!!!!

December 17, 2013 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  10. Jeff Brown in Jersey

Not a scientific poll and it's on the heels of all the negative Obama Care hype. The GOP is dead; thank GOD!

December 17, 2013 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  11. Jeff Brown in Jersey

@Would You Look at That
    I love how all the liberals on this sight proclaim that any poll favoring republicans is due to "right wing biased media outlets," but when polls are in favor of their beloved one, it's immediately unbiased, fair, and is without any political affiliation... give me a break you partisan hacks.

Hey Genius, when FAUX "News" stops spewing it's filth, you can start calling people partisan hacks!

December 17, 2013 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  12. cking

Dutch – on what universe do you live?? You call this an economic recovery? What are u/e rates? What's the labor participation rate, i.e. how many people have given up looking for work? We are not in a state of recovery. If you are looking to the stock market, then perhaps you have forgotten about all the artificially low interest rates and how our government continues to just print money.

December 17, 2013 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  13. ghost

If the GOTP win any branch of the Federal Government, this country deserves everything it gets. Reward those that does nothing but obstruct, NOT!

December 17, 2013 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  14. Kenneth the VI of Minneapolis

When you look at it, President Obama has done an overall good job as President. No one can take his accomplishments away (ACA, OBL, Marriage Rights, ending Wars, etc.) History will judge this president. I personally give him a thumbs up.

December 17, 2013 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  15. Scott

Polls are telling. If the people polled are the people that vote, then there you go.

December 17, 2013 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  16. McShannon

I'll go along with the theory that your poll is incorrect due to most of new generation doesn't have a land line. I haven't had one in fifteen years and it works out just fine. I was polled once by a Romney pollster but the questions were multiple choice and no matter which answer you gave it would be pro Romney. I answered their questions and told them Romney had a chance and then voted for President Obama. Polls can be tainted and this one is too.

December 17, 2013 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  17. steve

So forty Five percent of Americans think tax cuts for rich people create jobs? We'll seems some people have learned nothing. It was the Bushes tax cuts and two unfunded wars that created this deficit. The average american has the memory of a gnat.

December 17, 2013 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  18. tom l

tom l

@Mallory
    tom l

@Mallory
    "You only want the WH's numbers included because they're five times higher than the rethugs, and including the WH in the numbers would increase the rethug number exponentially."

=====================

Remember when you told me, quite angrily, that you don't call others names when I said I hope you don't have kids? You told me to put up or shut up. I have put up. Again, I really hope that you don't have children. Namecalling due to the fact that someone has a difference of opinion is no way to state your point. It is a terrible lesson to teach your kids. I really hope you don't have any because all you would be doing is raising someone who is not tolerant of other's viewpoints. Clearly, liberals have no sense of self awareness.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Yes, I remember it well. It’s adorable and quite telling how you left out the ad hominem attack you launched against me with absolutely no context and not in response to something that I posted; just a whole lot of venom spewing – ON A MESSAGE BOARD WHERE I WASN'T EVEN POSTING UNTIL I SAW YOUR RANT NO LESS – to which I asked, and with NO anger BTW, what I posted to warrant such an assault, and all you responded with was that I do it all the time, and I challenged you to show me where I verbally assaulted and name-called another poster for something they posted that I didn't like. Your attempt to use my above referenced post as some sort of equivalence is laughable at best, but mostly pathetic. Additionally, YOU FAILED to advise WHAT IT WAS that I posted that brought about such a tirade to begin with and proceeded to spew EVEN MORE venom! Care to try again? No? Didn't think so, but thanks so much for playing!

=======

Gee Mallory, could it possibly be that I the comment I wrote never was posted here? That does happen from time to time. What venom did I post? I simply said that I hope you don't have children because the way you deal with people that don't agree with you is to call them names like a child. You see, when you use the term "rethug", you are calling them a name. When you say things like "librul" or "raygun", again you are mocking the other side. Again, I just hope that if you have children that you don't teach them how to react to someone who has a difference of opinion. I have no "venom". I don't hate you. You asked me to show you where you called the other side names; I have given you proof of your childish rants. As the great Sniffit says...grow up. I just can't believe that a grown woman talks the way you do.

December 17, 2013 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  19. Anonymous

Right, because the Repubs have done so much since they took the House to create jobs! The economy would actually be in a much better place if that election hadn't taken place and the Dems still had full control of Congress. Just yesterday it was reported that GM is opening more plants in the US, but does the MSM give any credit to the President for that?? Of course not.

December 17, 2013 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  20. jowl

Bye bye Hillary.

December 17, 2013 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  21. Malory Archer

Obama loses large lead over GOP on key issues....

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Oh noes! How will he EVER win a third term?!

December 17, 2013 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  22. lolatignorance

So these same old white racist that picked up the phone this year are the same old white racist that picked up the phone this time last year? If only old white people have land lines then why are the polls just now going against Obama?

Just start calling all "dem feee sailfoams froms obama" and you can enjoy his wonderful poll numbers again.

December 17, 2013 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  23. shawn

As a ex-Army guy its soooo funny seeing all these posts. Obama does what he can..you can't please everyone and nobody is perfect. All the people on here complaining, what have YOU done for your country..(Hell what have you done for you neighbor??) People bashing the President carrying a US flag thinking they are patriots. Your not, if you were you would stand behind him and admit the US has issues just like every other country. Not use freedom of speech for a hidden agenda...

December 17, 2013 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  24. Malory Archer

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Perhaps if you had copied and pasted something I wrote to put your venom spewing into context, you might have more credibility, but you can't because you're projecting. Meanwhile, my challenge stands: show me where I verbally assaulted and name-called another poster for something they posted that I "didn't like".

December 17, 2013 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  25. Heather

I'm not a racist, I'm not old, I'm not a man, I don't hate old people or poor people, and I'm not rich – so please stop painting the GOP, Tea Party and conservatives as such. The low information voters listen to your banter and your radical propaganda and then think it's true. Say it enough and people will believe it. I voted for Clinton because I thought he was cool – he played the saxophone on MTV... I didn't know any better. I voted for him again because the unions said my husband, who worked for the state, would lose his job if the Republicans won office – I was young with a young family and scared to death that we wouldn't survive without his job. I fell for it.... that is until my 30's when I started second guessing what they said and researched the other side of the story. Now that I'm older and much more educated, I see that they tugged at the heart strings of people who didn't know any better – and they do it successfully because of young or low income voters who don't know how to research issues themselves and believe whatever they hear.

Government is too big and the people need to take it back. Unfortunately, it's the liberals/Democrats that want to grow it even bigger and tell us what to do from cradle to grave...

I no longer vote for them because of their continued progressive need to take away our freedoms as Americans. The Republican party isn't far behind. This is a government/American citizen issue – not a Republican/Democrat issue.... stop blaming one party when they're both to blame. Until we have a party that makes sense, I'll have to vote for the lesser of two evils.... or else we're just headed to total government takeover that much faster!

December 17, 2013 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |