Clinton says she'll decide about 2016 next year
December 19th, 2013
4 months ago

Clinton says she'll decide about 2016 next year

(CNN) - Hillary Clinton says she'll decide in 2014 about whether she'll make another run for the White House in 2016.

"Obviously, I will look carefully at what I think I can do and make that decision sometime next year," Clinton said in an interview with ABC's Barbara Walters that aired Wednesday night.

Clinton, who was named Walter's "Most Fascinating Person of 2013," was quite open in the interview about her feelings towards launching another presidential campaign, but also emphasized again that it's too early to be obsessing about the next race for the White House.

"It's such a difficult decision and it's one that I'm not going to rush into ... and I don't think we should be looking at the next election,"Clinton said. "I think we should be looking at the work that we have today. Our unemployment rate is too high. We have people getting kicked off food stamps who are in terrible economic straits. Small business is not getting credit, I could go on and on, so I think we ought to pay attention to what's happening right now."

Since Clinton stepped down as Secretary of State at the beginning of the year, speculation has mounted that she'll run again for the Democratic presidential nomination. Then-Sen. Clinton battled then-Sen. Barack Obama in a marathon fight for their party's nomination in the first half of 2008 before she bowed out in June.

Now, for the first time in decades, neither Clinton or her husband, former President Bill Clinton, are in public office, which she calls a "relief."

"I knew that I wanted to get off this high wire that I had been on for so long," Clinton said. "To spend time just doing things that give us a lot of joy, playing with our dogs, going to movies, just hanging out."

Asked whether her husband wants her to run, Clinton said that Bill Clinton has been "very respectful," adding that he wants her to "do what I think is right."

Asked if she wants to see a woman in the White House, Clinton answered, "of course," but said, "I don't know the exact timing of it or who that might be."

If she decides to run, Clinton would instantly become the overwhelming frontrunner for her party's nomination, and she's been miles ahead of the other potential Democratic White House hopefuls in every public opinion poll.

A new national survey by Fairleigh Dickinson University indicates that if the 2016 race for the nomination were held today, 63% of Democrats would back Clinton as their party's nominee, with no other possible contender even cracking  double digits. According to the poll, which was released Thursday, Clinton grabs the support of 66% of liberals, 61% of moderates and 58% of the smaller faction of conservative Democrats.

The Fairleigh Dickinson University poll was conducted December 9-15, with 1,002 adults nationwide questioned by telephone. The survey's overall sampling error is plus or minus 3.1 percentage points.

Filed under: 2016 • Bill Clinton • Hillary Clinton
  1. smith

Smart woman, she wants to see the damage from the ACA before she jumps in with both feet.

December 19, 2013 09:03 am at 9:03 am |
  2. Rudy NYC

I liked the part when they pondered what would the husband of a female POTUS be called. First Spouse? First Mate? That's a pretty good question. How about First Gentleman?

December 19, 2013 09:06 am at 9:06 am |
  3. ST

If she will decide to run she will win especially if the GOP candidate is Chris Christie. She will crush Christie during the debates. I have noticed so far, Christie is not really smart and not aware of a lot of issues. He can be tough, but who is ready to be led by a less intelligent leader!

December 19, 2013 09:09 am at 9:09 am |
  4. AlbaMN

I think she would make an excellent President. But as she says, it is too early to be having this discussion, let's work on the issues we have today and quit trying to figure out elections that far away.

December 19, 2013 09:18 am at 9:18 am |
  5. Lynda/Minnesota

Whatever her decision, she will be a formidable campaigner against GOPerville obstruction and GOPerville doom and gloom negativity.

December 19, 2013 09:24 am at 9:24 am |
  6. freedom

She lies about deaths of Americans that were killed on her watch as Sec of State – and she's deciding?? We've already decided – hell no!

December 19, 2013 09:25 am at 9:25 am |
  7. ED1

Why don't you just wait until 2017 you would have a better chance then.

December 19, 2013 09:28 am at 9:28 am |
  8. Babyboomer

I do wish everyone would just give it a rest. We have so many things that need to be worked on right now. Next year will be here soon enough. What I hope we do is get rid of our "Do Nothing Congress" during the mid-terms. (particularly some members of the House of Reps.)

December 19, 2013 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  9. Malory Archer

Rudy NYC

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

My vote is for First Gentleman.

December 19, 2013 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  10. rs

Let the Republican clown car do their clockwise doughnuts for year, then get in.

December 19, 2013 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  11. Malory Archer

freedom

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

No "WE" haven't, but thanks for playing!

December 19, 2013 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  12. Malory Archer

ST

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I concur. That arrogant, in-your-face, "how dare you question ME about ANYTHING" bully act isn't going to play well outside NJ and a handful of red states, and it's going to be on display more frequently when he's unable to address the many issues of which he is unaware.

December 19, 2013 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  13. Al-NY,NY

the next POTUS...the GOP/TT heads are gonna explode when she crushes their candidate. the all you can eat BBQ Bully from NJ will be exposed more and more and will not even get the nod since he's not pure enough. Meanwhile the GOP has only their lame conspiracy theories to hang on her

December 19, 2013 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  14. Gurgyl

No deciding factor here, since USA loves you, so does the world, yes on HILLARY16. Period.

December 19, 2013 09:42 am at 9:42 am |
  15. Larry in Houston

CNN – every time you post this woman's pic, my heart just melts !! enough already !

To be perfectly honest – that's the smart thing to do, and she knows how / where / what is going on....If I was her, I would wait as long as I could, b/c if she decides "too early" then I'm sure she knows what the GOP is going to do. They are going to try to smear her in every way / shape / form, from ads / to T.V. / radio / newspapers / mailings / and the whole 9 yards.....Unless the GOP finds somebody THIS Independent can Vote for, I guess it will be a Democrat. Since the GOP knows that she's already "got the edge" so to speak, they might put a 3rd party in there, even if it costs them a lot of money, they might do it, just to "sway" the Vote, possibly enough to "turn the tide" but it's too early to tell, at this point in time.

December 19, 2013 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  16. Gurgyl

USA doesn't give darn hoot on Benghazi, it is a GOP thugs nag, brag, plot, loot, cheat.

December 19, 2013 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  17. HenryMiller

Depending on how badly the Dems crash and burn over Obamacare next November. Personally, I hope they go the way of the Whigs or, at least, abandon the "Progressive" Nanny-state would-be tyranny.

December 19, 2013 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  18. Bill

Hillary is a weak candidate. She has no achievements (name one), she will be pushing 70 years old, she's a lousy debater, she has lots of baggage, and she has serious health issues. Hillary couldn't win the Dem nomination in 2008 against a man with no qualifications and she won't win this time either.

December 19, 2013 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  19. Al-NY,NY

Malory Archer

-------------------

but wait.........he's a "straight shooter" and is enviable isn't he???? (sarcasm). Of course if HRC was like this, the GOP trolls would label her as arrogant/thin skinned and any other derogatory anti-woman name they can come up with

December 19, 2013 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  20. Larry in Houston

"""Hillary couldn't win the Dem nomination in 2008 against a man with no qualifications and she won't win this time either"""

I beg to differ with you, Sir ... the country was still "reeling" from the debacle her husband was into, at the time, with that intern....and didn't want anything to do with her or Him, at the time....

I think that is all in the past, and if I were you, I would suggest putting your vote to a candidate that can possibly get this country out of debt, and get somebody with at least a 1/2 way Business sense, b/c I don't see a republican ( so Far) that qualifies.... I'm not a dem or a rep – this is coming from an Independent point of view.

December 19, 2013 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  21. Lynda/Minnesota

There is nothing more droll than GOPers opining what they think is the reason Hillary lost against Barrack Obama in 2008.

December 19, 2013 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  22. Gunderson

Well,
    Nothing like jumping from the frying pan into the fire. But please, I beg you, don't do me any more favors, I can't afford them !

December 19, 2013 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  23. current state of the union

You mean you haven't figured out that you aren't on the same page as the majority that you call " we". Go ahead and vote gop, they get a special kind of enjoyment when people they want to destroy vote for them

December 19, 2013 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  24. rs

HenryMiller

_______________________
    Well, lets look at that. People are signing up (more than a million now)- many including Speaker Boehner are happy with the deal they got. In other words, the ACA is working. Now, as far as Nanny State-ism. SUre the GOP shows off it's "Christain" foundation by knocking 400,000 kids of of food assistance, and 1.5 million Americans off of long-tern unemplyoment (at Christmas!)- yet dole out huge tax breaks to the rich, and lather corpoations with tax breaks and "incentives" ($40 billion to oil companies alone). You LIKE that NANNY don't you? The one that beats the poor and the elderly, and gives to the rich, right? That's sick my friend. Not very popular, either.

December 19, 2013 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  25. rs

Bill

______________________
    Remind me again. What has ANYONE from the GOP done in the last 5 years? No budgets, no alternative to the ACA, no jobs bills, no stimulus bills, no alternatives for foreign policies. Just lots and lots of lies, radical anti- democracy blather, and fake-o conspiracy theory.

The GOP died about 10 years ago- unfortunately, the body is still roaming the countryside.

December 19, 2013 10:08 am at 10:08 am |