Rangel running for 23rd term in Congress
December 19th, 2013
10 months ago

Rangel running for 23rd term in Congress

(CNN) - Two days after three leading members of the House of Representatives announced their retirements, another longtime congressman announced Thursday that he plans on staying put on Capitol Hill.

Longtime Democratic Rep. Charlie Rangel of New York, in an opinion piece in the New York Daily News, said he's running next year for a 23rd term.

"I have heard the skeptics and the chattering classes wondering whether I remain committed to representing our congressional district which I have passionately served for more than 40 years," Rangel wrote. "After reflection and speaking with constituents in Upper Manhattan and the Bronx I proudly represent, I am all the more fired up about fighting to advance the unfinished business under the most exciting presidency in my lifetime."

Rangel's piece in the Daily News was to coincide with a formal announcement of his candidacy.

Rangel was censured by fellow lawmakers in 2010 for ethics violations. The scandal forced the congressman to step down from his chairmanship of the powerful House Ways and Means Committee. Rangel only briefly and indirectly mentioned the controversy.

"I may not be a perfect human being, but I believe I am best equipped - by my experience, my knowledge of Washington, my seniority, my passion for serving the people of our district - to help the President achieve his agenda over the next two years," Rangel wrote.

Rangel, a Korean War veteran who won a Bronze Star and Purple Heart, was first elected to Congress in 1970. While New York's 13th Congressional District is dominated by Democrats, Rangel may face a primary challenge again from state Sen. Adriano Espaillat, who was one of two Democrats to challenge Rangel in 2012.

Tuesday, 17-term Republican Rep. Frank Wolf of Virginia, 10-term GOP Rep. Tom Latham of Iowa, and seven-term Democratic Rep. Jim Matheson of Utah all announced they would retire next year rather than run for re-election.

Filed under: 2014 • Charlie Rangel
  1. Lynda/Minnesota

Oops. Let me rephrase. It is time FOR Charlie Rangel to retire from politics.

December 19, 2013 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  2. Larry in Houston

LOL – Thanks CNN for my Laugh of the Day !!
    All I can say is : GO CHARLIE GO !!

who else do those people down there in the Bronx & Queens going to Vote for ?? LOL –

Those people in the ghetto don't know anybody else – Charlie is a "Lifer" and always will be ...he couldn't win anywhere else, but he knows where he CAN Win....LOL -

December 19, 2013 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  3. The Real Tom Paine

Jesus, enough already. His time has long since past.

December 19, 2013 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  4. current state of the union

There is no shame.

December 19, 2013 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  5. A True Conservative

There should e a law that if you haven't paid your taxes, you can't run for or hold a political office.

December 19, 2013 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  6. current state of the union

Just retire to that villa you didn't pay taxes on and enjoy your life for crying out loud, your not broke are you?

December 19, 2013 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  7. current state of the union

I actually agree conservative, why should they be allowed to vote on tax policy when they are proven to not follow it themselves. I never thought it a good idea for people to pass laws that don't apply to themselves:

December 19, 2013 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  8. Malory Archer

A True Conservative

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Agreed! That would disqualify about half of the house and senate – ON BOTH SIDES OF THE AISLE!

December 19, 2013 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  9. Gurgyl

USA, better REVOLT, all say "TERM-LIMITS", if you love USA, ask immoderately your elected idiot to introduce this bill. Don't fear to these guys. God bless!!!!

December 19, 2013 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  10. Malory Archer

liberal disease

someone name one accomplishment besides her destroying the lives of the woman who were sexually attacked by Bill and saving his sorry butt..name one, just one??

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Silence DoGood's post is a great start for a small sampling: "advocating for women and progressive social issues, world relations, early health care reform ideas, etc.etc. But for most conservatives these things are "nothing". I love how Ms.Clinton terrifies conservatives."

Any more inane questions?

December 19, 2013 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  11. S.B. Stein

He has been in the House for longer than many people have been alive. If the people of his district think that he is doing a good job, then they have the right to elect him. Personally, I think that there should be a few alternatives just to see who else is willing to do the job.

December 19, 2013 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  12. much thunder..little rain

another lifer who thinks the world cant continue with out him...old ,no new ideas retire old man just retire

December 19, 2013 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  13. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA -aka- Take Back The House -aka- No Redemption Votes

Charlie's seat is secure. How about a good, juicy story like the one about Gov. McUltrasound not getting charged, YET. He'll possibly face charges in February. I thing the assistant AG is holding off charges until the transition of McAuliffe is finished and then those indictment papers are coming. Come on CNN!! Get on the ball.

December 19, 2013 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  14. TONE

I live in Brooklyn, and watched Charlie debating his challenger, and Charlie was a very fierce debater, i agree with most of you on here that he should go but who will upstage him? that question i can answer if it's God but human i can't.Maybe someone posting here can shed more light on this isue

December 19, 2013 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  15. A True Conservative

@Malory Archer – I hold Repubs and conservatives to the same standard as Dems and Liberals. Pay your taxes just like we are expected to do. Live under the same laws as everyone else (i.e. any law passed by Congress must apply to everyone, including them). Do not lie, cheat or steal....from each other or anyone else. Keep your hands to yourselves. I don't care what side of the aisle anyone is on, there are fundamental principles that are needed to be trusted and effective leader. Unfortunately too many in Congress don't meet those expectations....no....requirements. Mr Rangel happens to be one. However, I have no doubt that he will once again be elected by his mindless followers.

December 19, 2013 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  16. Dominican mama 4 Obama

If he's doing a good job for his people and his mental faculties are in working order, I personally see no reason for him not to run.
    It is the people's choice.

December 19, 2013 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  17. Malory Archer

A True Conservative

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I totally get that – hence my "both sides of the aisle" remark – and empathize because we Dems feel the same frustration every time a repub get reelected after their own indescretions are brought to light.

December 19, 2013 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  18. Tampa Tim

He is a lot smarter than half the republicans we send to congress.

December 19, 2013 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  19. Malory Archer

Dominican mama 4 Obama

It is the people's choice.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Sometimes I wonder if that's truly the case. My own congressman passed away recently after holding the same office since I was in Kindergarten (I'm in my late 40s now). Regardless of the fact he should have retired at least 10 years ago his own party wouldn't primary him out of "respect" for him, and this being Florida, our solidly blue Tampa Bay area has been gerrymandered into a safe red seat.

December 19, 2013 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  20. Woman In California

Please go and take your opinions with you.
    Thank you.