December 20th, 2013
8 months ago

Obama says 2013 wasn't worst of presidency

Updated 2:50 p.m. ET, 12/20/2013

Washington (CNN) - Citing economic progress and other achievements, President Barack Obama on Friday rejected the contention that 2013 was the worst year of his presidency.

Polls show Obama's approval rating at record lows for the five years of his presidency, but he told reporters at a year-end news conference that his concern is whether things are getting better for the American people.

FULL STORY

Filed under: President Obama
  1. smith

@Malory-If those same polls were showing huge favorable results for Obama you be praising them. Funny, when polls show results that someone dislikes they try and discredit them. Can`t have it both ways.

December 20, 2013 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  2. Rudy NYC

Hector Slagg asked:

Mr President,
    ---------------------
    You're barking up the wrong tree, dude. Try asking the conservative red state governors. You know, all of your "nanny states" that receive more from the federal government than what they contribute in taxes. The states that receive the most entitlements.

Self sufficiency? Try asking your questions to all of the seniors on Medicare and Medicaid. Did you know that more than 70% of the money spent in those programs went to people who voted for Mitt Romney? Lots of 'em in nursing homes.

December 20, 2013 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  3. Sniffit

"If you can, tell me why all you Liberal's think the populous isn't intelligent to take care of themselves...."

Well, I'd have to say the first sign is the conservatives' consistent mangling of the English language, grammar, syntax, etc., kinda like in your post or whenever Jabberwocky Barbie opens her yap.

December 20, 2013 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  4. Malory Archer

smith

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

smith, you really should read my post to the end. The last line of my post was: Full disclosure: The above statements are fact, whether I like the results or not. Or is your problem more of a reading comprehension issue? Either way, there's help available – get some!

December 20, 2013 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  5. john

I have one for him. Why are you trying to destroy the countty.

December 20, 2013 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  6. Sniffit

"The poll numbers for support of elected republicans is mind boggling. Who would have thought that 9 per cent is a majority of Americans? "

The same RWNJs who think 40 is a majority of the Senate.

December 20, 2013 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  7. just saying

if there are americans without healthcare coverage because of obamacare and this liar-in-chief, then i say his healthcare coverage should also terminated as well as for his family. he needs to understand first hand the tremendous damage, pain and suffering he has caused.

December 20, 2013 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  8. rs

Fair is Fair

Hey Obama – if you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with BS.
    _______________________
    He could clearly learn a lesson or three from the baggers and the GOP.

December 20, 2013 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  9. Malory Archer

Donna

Yes, by all means please go on vacation and whatever you do, don't worry about the millions of Americans that you have lied to and deceived and many of which have now had their healthcare insurance cancelled. Also don't worry that they may not have any coverage starting on Jan. 1. Yes, don't worry one bit, you got yours and as we have all seen, this is ALL about you.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Perhaps if you had worked as hard as President Obama and the First Lady, YOU could afford to vacation in Hawaii as well. They worked hard, played by the rules and lifted themselves out of their lower-middle class upbringings – and paid for it all by themselves! In fact, they just finished paying off their student loans in 2007. The hatred was just as strong for a guy who grew up in a trailer park in Arkansas, became a Rhodes Scholar and later President of the United States. Why does your ilk HATE it when anyone who isn't cut from the same cloth does EXACTLY what your ilk says they need to do to improve their station in life? Seriously, what's up with that?

December 20, 2013 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  10. rs

Hector Slagg

Mr President,
    If you can, tell me why all you Liberal's think the populous isn't intelligent to take care of themselves and so need the Nanny State? And tell me, Mr. President, if you can, how does many, many regular people get up, go to work, every day, and do all the things that make the country work, without government instructions? Why is it, Mr. President you don't trust the people to make their own decisions, everyday. Was Bill Clinton right when he said, We could give the people more of "their" own money, but they wouldn't know how to spend it. Can you answer those questions, Mr. President?
    ___________________
    Well, Hector- I'd start with my friends on the Right. Their stats are bad- just look at the Red States: Highest unemployment; lowest educational achievement; lowest contribution to federal revenues; most illness; worst healthcare; lowest median wages; most domestic violence; highest rates of divorce- yeah- you guys are REAL attractive as a lifestyle.

December 20, 2013 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  11. Malory Archer

Donna

We can only hope and pray for the good of the country he has to resign his Senate seat.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

December 20, 2013 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  12. Rudy NYC

rs wrote:

--------------------
    You forgot worse drivers on the roads. Do a web search for this " worse car drivers states .

December 20, 2013 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  13. smith

@Malory-Like I said if the polls right now showed favorable ratings for Obama you would have not posted a comment to try and discredit them. If your last sentence were true, why wait til Obama`s numbers tanked? As Rudy say, "Nice try, but we got ya".

December 20, 2013 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  14. Sniffit

"It must be awful to be as miserable as the donnas of the world. All that venom and bile has got to be doing terrible things to their insides!"

Yeah, inside their heads especially.

December 20, 2013 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  15. Hector Slagg

Gosh Mr. President,
    Many of your hanger on's here are trying to defend you. Well I will give 'em E for effort. Golly are they befuddled trying to come up with intelligent answers !
    Just one more question Mr. President. I am now 27 years old. Do I really have to get out of my jammies and get a job. My Nanny never sent me to school on nothing like that so I am Education handicapped. What now Mr. President ??

December 20, 2013 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  16. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Merry Christmas Mr. President safe journey and enjoy your family and the holidays.

@Lynda Minnesota
    Merry Christmas to you and to all...

December 20, 2013 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  17. Malory Archer

smith

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Okay smith, PROVE IT! Go back and find ANY thread where I posted ANYTHING different from what I said in my original post. Oh, that's right – ya CAN'T because it never happened. You've embarrassed yourself enough already this morning, so your really should quit before you bury yourself in that hole you've dug yourself into.

December 20, 2013 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  18. Keith ..... in Oregon

Malory,
    Unlike many others who think this president (and the other you referred to) is a disaster for our country I don't begrudge him and his family a relaxing vacation. It is as petty to criticize his vacation as it was to criticize Mr Bush's.

That said I still think Obama and Clinton both are wrong in their belief that they or someone else should run so much of my life. Whether they know better than I what is best for me is immaterial. It is my business and my choice where I live, what I eat, how I raise my children, where and if I get health insurance. Simply do the functions of government...military, roads, foreign affairs, and leave the rest to me. I don't care if your way is better or not. It's not your business.

December 20, 2013 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  19. smith

@Malory-Calm down, it`s gonna be okay. You were duped by a guy who preached hope and change and used a stupid punchline (yes we can) to win your vote. It happends.

December 20, 2013 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  20. Sniffit

"Simply do the functions of government...military, roads, foreign affairs, and leave the rest to me."

Where does it say those are the only functions of gov't? The Constitution happens to give it a whole bunch of other functions. The founding fathers certainly believed so too.

December 20, 2013 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  21. Malory Archer

Keith ..... in Oregon

Malory,

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

donna's rant was strictly about the President's vacation, but since YOU brought it up, you obviously have no problem with the government dictating to women what they can or can't do with their bodies. Aside from mandating that you put on your big boy pants and stop sticking other Americans with your medical bills, what other parts of your life are the Dems running? Pleas provide some CREDIBLE examples of Dems mandating where you live, what you eat, how I raise your children, or WHERE you get your medical insurance. If you're letting the Dems do any of those things to you (they aren't doing it to anyone in reality BTW), then that's on you.

December 20, 2013 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  22. just asking

Keith ..... in Oregon

very well said! it is obvious you have not bought into the hive mentally of the leftist democrat party and still value your individual freedoms.

December 20, 2013 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  23. Malory Archer

smith

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Nope, you're not going to get away by attempting to defelct: As I said before, go back and find ANY thread where I posted ANYTHING different from what I said in my original post. In other words, put up or shut up.

December 20, 2013 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  24. ProudDem

By every metric out there, every measurable item, with perhaps the exception that wages are low, which the government has no control over, the country is in far better shape now than it was in 2008...yet again and again I see rants that the President is "destroying the country!" How exactly? Without rhetoric, but in simple facts, can someone explain that please?

December 20, 2013 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  25. Donna

I'm sure Obama will spend his 200th vacation in office figuring out who else he can blame for his failures and the Obamacare disaster. Or yeah, and ways to deflect from the ongoing Obamacare train wreck as millions more lose their healthcare plan, contrary to what Obama, Liar of the Year, stated.

I would be all for offering him eearly retirement so that we can finally get the economy and jobs growing again. 5 years of record unemployment is all Obama has done and now Obamacare has sealed his place in history as our worst president ever.

December 20, 2013 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |