December 23rd, 2013
8 months ago

CNN Poll: Health care law support drops to all-time low

Washington (CNN) – Support for the country's new health care law has dropped to a record low, according to a new national poll.

And a CNN/ORC International survey released Monday also indicates that most Americans predict that the Affordable Care Act will actually result in higher prices for their own medical care.

CNN/ORC International survey full results

Only 35% of those questioned in the poll say they support the health care law, a 5-point drop in less than a month. Sixty-two percent say they oppose the law, up four points from November.

Nearly all of the newfound opposition is coming from women.

"Opposition to Obamacare rose six points among women, from 54% in November to 60% now, while opinion of the new law remained virtually unchanged among men," CNN Polling Director Keating Holland said. "That's bad news for an administration that is reaching out to moms across the country in an effort to make Obamacare a success."

According to the survey, 43% say they oppose the health care law because it is too liberal, with 15% saying they give the measure a thumbs down because it is not liberal enough. That means half the public either favors Obamacare, or opposes it because it's not liberal enough, down four points from last month.

Sixty-three percent say they believe the new law will increase the amount of money they personally pay for medical care, which may not be a good sign for a law known as the "Affordable Care Act."

The survey also indicates that 42% say they will be personally worse off under Obamacare, with 16% saying the law will help them, and four in 10 saying it will have no effect on them.

Just over six in 10 say they believe they will be able to receive care from the same doctors that they now use, with 35% saying they will not be able to see the same doctors.

The Affordable Care Act, which is the signature domestic achievement for President Barack Obama, was passed along party lines in 2010, when Democrats controlled both houses of Congress. Since that passage, Republicans have fought to either repeal, defund, or severely restrict the law. A push by congressional conservatives to defund the law was the catalyst for October's 16-day long partial federal government shutdown, the first in nearly two decades.

The roll out of the law was extremely flawed, from the rocky startup of HealthCare.gov in October to the controversy over millions of Americans being told they would lose their current insurance plans because they didn't meet standards mandated by the new health care law.

Despite all the problems, the President said things are starting to improve, adding that more than 500,000 Americans enrolled in the Affordable Care Act through HealthCare.gov during the first three weeks of December.

"So all told, millions of Americans, despite problems with the website, are now poised to be covered by quality affordable health care," he said at a news conference.

The poll was conducted for CNN by ORC International December 16-19, with 1,035 adults nationwide questioned by telephone. The survey's overall sampling error is plus or minus three percentage points.

soundoff (1,206 Responses)
  1. Brad

Hard to believe it has taken years for the truth about Obamacare to come out...it is unaffordable for most people and it is doomed to fail! The only way this passed was through deceit and disinformation!

December 23, 2013 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  2. Jeff in Wayne

i don't know why anyone is surprised at this – the Republicans have become masters at the negative campaign. It could be working great, and people would STILL be carping about it.

December 23, 2013 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  3. Gwiz

I want to thank obama for his healthcare last year my health insurance ran at 700 a month for your basic no frills medical plan with a 60 copay now with the aca my coverage now includes dental and eyes for 458/month with a 30 copay and u all say ur getting screwed whos been drinking the kool aid now. and i have a pre existing medical condition that barred from even receiving healthcare till last year oh yeah and i work fifty hour weeks and my boss doesnt offer healthcare because he only has 2 employees. if they repeal the law i lose my coverage and will probably be dead before 2016 because my medicine cost 120.00 month before the aca now its 17.00 month. i dont see anyone propping me up. why dont you pay the 300.00 bucks and opt out. if not look how much a policy would ve cost 3 years ago. 700×12=8400 that used to be 70% of my salary for just medical no dental eye a 60 dr copay and 400 emergency copay with them only covering 60% now i pay 450×12=5400 that covers everything at 80% i pay 30 for doctors and no emergency copay. so its okay for a low income person to get financially screwed and now u all wanna do it again thanks i think im gonna emigrate to canada at least there ill be alive

December 23, 2013 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  4. Kelly B

They didn't poll ME. I am in support of this law. I couldn't get health insurance for my daughter for less than $1300 a month with a $5K deductible. With the new law, her insurance is $169 a month. I am not getting a subsidy so no one else is paying my bill for me. This is forcing insurance companies to stop gauging it's customers.

December 23, 2013 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  5. beevee

These polls are a hogwash. Exactly who are the people that CNN polled? looks like they either don't know anything about the health care benefits in the long term or they are republicans. CNN shuld stop these idiotiic polls. They are meaningless.

December 23, 2013 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  6. Dan

Over 80% of Americans are already on employer health plans, Medicare, or Medicaid. Their doctors are not changing unless their employer or insurance company made changes.

I have been employed for more than 30 years and over 20 of those years, either my employer or insurance company has made changes. This law has nothing to do with it and I'm smart enough to realize my employer is trying to stay in business and still take care of me.

Funny that so many Americans cannot understand that simple fact. No wonder more employers are starting to ask their employees questions about their understanding of this. Those that are not smart enough are the ones we realize are not smart enough to be in charge.

December 23, 2013 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  7. mkuske

"A push by congressional conservatives to defund the law was the catalyst for October's 16-day long partial federal government shutdown, the first in nearly two decades." – Paul Steinhauser

Again, misinformation from CNN. Starting a week before and all through the government shutdown, the Republican call was merely to delay the personal mandate by a year. The Dems and Obama steadfastly refused to even discuss the possibility even though a majority of Americans agreed with the Republicans. THAT'S what caused the shutdown. How about a little honesty in your reporting Paul.

December 23, 2013 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  8. Robert N. constant

Lake Capital controls the polling company . Its owner ,Terence Graunke , is a Tea Party funder who opposed Romney because of his stand on health care. CNN has published a rigged poll. Pass it on.

December 23, 2013 09:35 am at 9:35 am |
  9. Henry2

Where are those people come from and what kind of air they are inhaling? To them, Obamacare is not liberal enough? For fairness, why not make it FREE(*) to ALL?

(*) Those same group of Obamacare supporters should be happy to finance Obamacare without complain.

December 23, 2013 09:35 am at 9:35 am |
  10. ed dugan

I have medicare with a supplement. I would like someone to explain to me why that concept could not work for those under 65.

December 23, 2013 09:35 am at 9:35 am |
  11. Rob

I love it. I think it is the greatest thing watching Obama on this course to self destruction and the screaming defense and name calling that the liberals have.
    Obama is making sure he is on a path to lame duck after the next election.
    I believe the democrats set Obama up with this health care.
    Liberals, don't worry. We conservatives understand that your issues are related to mental illness, so we give you a pass. By the way, does Obamacare cover mental illness?

December 23, 2013 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  12. Alex

this is what happens when you vote for the 'cool' kid, instead of the smart kid...it's government at a high school level

December 23, 2013 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  13. Joe

It was cheaper for me to purchase direct from Blue Cross Blue Shield vs. Obamacare. Obamacare actually cost $212 per month more and out of pocket was $12000 vs. BCBS $5000. Obamacare is a joke.

December 23, 2013 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  14. ricardo1968

People will never hesitate to offer an opinion on things they know nothing about. As for me, I'm waiting for costs to go down. They say it will take a while so I will wait a while. Until then, my opinion is neutral.

December 23, 2013 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  15. Mr. M

Well, they had tp pass it to see what's in it. Now that they know they don't like it.

December 23, 2013 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  16. mb2010a

Thumbs down to CNN for perpetuating the Republican smear campaign against the ACA...

December 23, 2013 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  17. danno

This law is the biggest disgrace in the history of laws. What was supposed to help Americans have "affordable" health coverage has turned in to everyone having to pay more for coverage. This law has only helped health insurance companies, while hurting the average American. I thought it was supposed to be the other way around. That's what happens when you "have to pass the bill to find out what's in it..."

December 23, 2013 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  18. Xorax

Perhaps CNN should take a poll to gauge the popularity of the health insurance industry itself. I'm sure those numbers would be much more favorable.

December 23, 2013 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  19. Ryan

If we are giving thumbs up and thumbs down on laws we don't like, Ive got a list:

Speeding
    Taxes, I want to keep my money
    Passport, I want to be able to go where ever I want whenever I want
    Red lights, I dont like red lights
    Thumbs down on paying for food, I want to be able to go to a drive thru and order, get my food, and leave
    Thumbs down on mortgages... I want to pay towards my house only when I can spare the money

Theres a long list, but I figured while we are deciding which laws we like and which laws we don't like, I'd throw in some others.

December 23, 2013 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  20. Mr. M

Well, they had to pass it to see what's in it. Now that they know they don't like it.

December 23, 2013 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  21. riseball2

Indep Jim,
    You don't say Independent Jim. Have your imaginary friends gone to the doctor yet? The very reason that the polls are dropping is BECAUSE of the sticker shock. Liberals lack common sense and everything they touch they screw up. I am VERY disappointed in the RINO Repubs. I want this federal government locked up for the next three years until we can get somebody in office that will not screw everything up. Not very pleasant thought but Repubs need to do what has to be done. You go Ted Cruz.

December 23, 2013 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  22. JW

I'm a moderately healthy, white collar professional, and I don't receive any Federal subsidies. When I switched jobs and chose to use "Obamacare" to find my new healthcare plan, it saved me $185 per month when compared to what had been deducted from my paycheck by my previous employer for the plan they dictated that I take. With "Obamacare", I had the freedom to choose from over 50 plans. The new Gold Tier plan's deductible is lower, covers more than the previous plan, and has a more responsive private insurance provider. And, it saves me over $2200 annually. Isn't it funny how ill-informed people spouting talking points that they've been spoon-fed can sway public opinion?

December 23, 2013 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  23. McLovin

On a positive note, Politifact has voted Obama the "Liar of the Year"

December 23, 2013 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  24. Firstname Lastname

Really? You don't say? Let's rid ourselves of Obama and all of the White House too while we're at it. Who needs them?

December 23, 2013 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  25. Aubrey

They think they will be paying more? No, they WILL be paying more. I can't describe how much this has messed up the healthcare plans my employer offered (one of the largest employers in my state). Those who couldn't go to a spouse's insurance are really going to have a tough time making ends meet this year. It's a disaster.

December 23, 2013 09:37 am at 9:37 am |