December 23rd, 2013
12 months ago

CNN Poll: Health care law support drops to all-time low

Washington (CNN) – Support for the country's new health care law has dropped to a record low, according to a new national poll.

And a CNN/ORC International survey released Monday also indicates that most Americans predict that the Affordable Care Act will actually result in higher prices for their own medical care.

CNN/ORC International survey full results

Only 35% of those questioned in the poll say they support the health care law, a 5-point drop in less than a month. Sixty-two percent say they oppose the law, up four points from November.

Nearly all of the newfound opposition is coming from women.

"Opposition to Obamacare rose six points among women, from 54% in November to 60% now, while opinion of the new law remained virtually unchanged among men," CNN Polling Director Keating Holland said. "That's bad news for an administration that is reaching out to moms across the country in an effort to make Obamacare a success."

According to the survey, 43% say they oppose the health care law because it is too liberal, with 15% saying they give the measure a thumbs down because it is not liberal enough. That means half the public either favors Obamacare, or opposes it because it's not liberal enough, down four points from last month.

Sixty-three percent say they believe the new law will increase the amount of money they personally pay for medical care, which may not be a good sign for a law known as the "Affordable Care Act."

The survey also indicates that 42% say they will be personally worse off under Obamacare, with 16% saying the law will help them, and four in 10 saying it will have no effect on them.

Just over six in 10 say they believe they will be able to receive care from the same doctors that they now use, with 35% saying they will not be able to see the same doctors.

The Affordable Care Act, which is the signature domestic achievement for President Barack Obama, was passed along party lines in 2010, when Democrats controlled both houses of Congress. Since that passage, Republicans have fought to either repeal, defund, or severely restrict the law. A push by congressional conservatives to defund the law was the catalyst for October's 16-day long partial federal government shutdown, the first in nearly two decades.

The roll out of the law was extremely flawed, from the rocky startup of HealthCare.gov in October to the controversy over millions of Americans being told they would lose their current insurance plans because they didn't meet standards mandated by the new health care law.

Despite all the problems, the President said things are starting to improve, adding that more than 500,000 Americans enrolled in the Affordable Care Act through HealthCare.gov during the first three weeks of December.

"So all told, millions of Americans, despite problems with the website, are now poised to be covered by quality affordable health care," he said at a news conference.

The poll was conducted for CNN by ORC International December 16-19, with 1,035 adults nationwide questioned by telephone. The survey's overall sampling error is plus or minus three percentage points.

soundoff (1,206 Responses)
  1. Fed Up

"You may not like this. But trust us, we've decided it's what's best for you."

December 23, 2013 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  2. Jimh77

We had a great health plan that cost us $231.00 / month, No co-pays and we paid 20% of he bill, they covered the rest up to 4,000.00 deductable then it was 100% paid, we paid nothing out of pocket. Obama ACA plan is over $700.00/mo plus a 12,000.00 Deductable and we can not find the % amount that would be covered by this plan, seems they are keeping secrets from us, and then we learn that the prices posted may not be the correct amounts.
    There is NOTHING affordable about this. We were very happy with our past insurance. The man is a liar.

December 23, 2013 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  3. Government Waste Rules

CNN this article in no way meets the Obama administration's "hope and change" quota. Please redact this immediately.

December 23, 2013 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  4. kenny9876

My catastrophic policy was cancelled under Obamacare. My premiums for an Obamacare-compliant policy will be 67% higher than what I am currently paying, and this for coverage I don't need or want. Essentially, I get to pay over $6,500 per year, with a dedictible of $5500.00, which means Obamacare is nothing more than piece of paper costing $6500 plus whatever I pay out of pocket, probebly $9,000 in all I have never come close to my deductible. Only a bunch of idiot socialists (aka Democraps) could have come up with something so disastrous. But, of course, we had to "pass it so we could find out what wss in it," as the brainless former speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi once said. In reality, Democrats couldn't organize a two-car funeral.

As for doctors, the vast majority make no where near what Larry in Houston thinks. Depending on specialty, they make between $133,000 for a familyphysician and $253,000 for a radiologist. Brain surgeons, no surprisingly, earn more (about $350,000). And they're worth every penny. Most doctors have huge medical school bills and are probably in the their late 30s before they have an established practice. They work long hours in an intense and highly demanding profession. No one should begruge them what they make, except for idiot socialists who thrive on fomenting envy to advance their big government agenda of control. So Larry, go back to watching WWF and spare us your inanities.

December 23, 2013 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  5. NameCraig

If your happy , good for you. I'm happy because I will refuse ACA till the day I die. I'll pay the fine , but will retain my dignity , something you socialist don't care about. It's wrong to force us into this . But as newshound says , Obama is enjoying this decent among the upper and middle class who pay for this shamefull attempt at communism

December 23, 2013 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  6. Molsoar

laodegan then tell the republicans to come to the table with real ideas and not stomp their feet like 5 year olds fighting over a sandbox at the park. The GOP refused to even participate in the negotiation of the law. They had no solutions and were unwilling to even try to find any solutions at all for a healthcare system that was and is still broken.

December 23, 2013 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  7. LauriM

Just shows how susceptible people are to propaganda and the right wing with their Rupert Murdock propaganda machine needs to be stopped or at least met with an equal amount of positive propaganda from the other side.

December 23, 2013 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  8. Billi Dale Ron Ron Castooth

Stop taking my drinking money, Obama! Stop!

December 23, 2013 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  9. Marcia

Jimb77-are you from a Repub state where the goverors refuse to put up exchanges to make ACA more expensive for their state-Dem governors and states have just the opposite result-a lot of Repubs want the plan to fail even if it hurts people in their own states

December 23, 2013 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  10. Norm

I can't tell which part of ACA I like best. The clueless people who's costs went down who think that money just magically appears out of nowhere. Or the people who do realize that its coming from their neighbors telling people who's costs are increasing to just shut up.

December 23, 2013 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  11. anthony

15% 35%=50% majority approve or atleast half

December 23, 2013 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  12. JohnnyV

That's ok. Everybody gave the thumbs down to Medicare and Medicaid back in the day too. It'll become a cherished institution soon enough.

December 23, 2013 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  13. ColoRN

..........the lateset CNN article is just CONFIRMATION of what has BEEN KNOWN, by some, for a LONG, LONG TIME....
    a democratic sponsored ILL ADVISED, HASTILY assembled bill, that was shoved down our throats by Obama, Reid ,Pelosi and the rest of THE DEMOCRATS; that is NOTHING more than a Ponzi scheme that Bernie Madoff would be prould of! This scam WILL NEVER have enough young healthy people paying in to offset the amount of billions going out to pay for ALL the people who are chronically ill and / or have pre existing conditions!
    ...and to this day, Obama continues to lie about Obama care!!
    America, you are about to experience LIMITED ACCESS and Ozone layer high expense health care...FROM premiums to DEDUCTABLES!!
    SEE WHAT THOSE OF YOU that voted to re elect obama have WROUGHT on THIS COUNTRY??????

December 23, 2013 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  14. American Citizen

Obamacare and the Democrats must go in 2014. Only 3 years left for Barak!

December 23, 2013 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  15. Molsoar

Kenny you ever have to get blood labs? Mine usually run about $900 every 3 months. Without insurance I would likely not get the tests and just die. You come across to me as a person who will not go to the doctor until your cancer is stage 4 incurable because that is the only time your insurance will pay on catastrophic.

December 23, 2013 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  16. Dakar

Here in Obama's home state of Hawaii, I've been trying to buy insurance since the state website finally went live in mid-October. The deadline is today (just secretly extended until tomorrow), but the website still doesn't work and you can't actually buy.
    Think Obamacare is going to cut costs? The government's been running the military for over 200 years. What have we gotten there? $800 toilet seats, etc, etc.

December 23, 2013 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  17. Garrett from Texas

Molsoar

-–

You're right. It is STILL broken. In fact the ACA has made it worse.

Just because your party's opposition's plan is "The status quo was better than your idea" doesn't mean that your party's plan was good.

Also, they did have suggestions for alternatives: Tort reform to help reduce the wasted law suits that keep raising doctor's malpractice costs (and their rates to you and your insurance) were one of the solutions, for example. Finding ways to make jobs and employment affordable in the United States so that more companies could provide insurance in the first place was another one. Most of the uninsured are under a certain income or are unemployed. The idea was to solve unemployment and then more people would have money to cover health care.

Health insurance ISN'T health care. In fact, the poor are spending so much on this new ACA mandated insurance they don't have what little money they used to spend on healthcare for healthcare anymore.

A lack of a solution from the old way is still better than your solution to it,

Sometimes progress means taking a step back. "Look before you leap" is taught to all of us as kids. But Nancy Pelosi said "we have to pass it to read what's in it". Democrats don't listen to their mothers apparently.

December 23, 2013 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  18. sally

The ACA has been a blessing for our business. We used to pay $300/mo. toward the health insurance of our one employee and she paid $300 out of her own pocket. With the ACA we now pay $200/mo. and she pays nothing...plus, she is getting better insurance to boot!

December 23, 2013 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  19. Md

believe it or not, there are those of us Americans that don't want to be or need to be spoon fed by the govt.

December 23, 2013 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  20. sofork

Dear President Obama, why did you and the democrats totally screw up health care in America? Didn't you have something better to do?

December 23, 2013 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  21. KATHY342

I can't afford this health insurance they are making me get. I already work 2 jobs to support my family. I am a single mom. Taking this insurance, I would have to pay 387.00 a month. I will now have to get a 3rd job just to afford this insurance, and because of this now my premiums would go up even higher... They need to take into consideration what we have for bills to pay out each month. I have to have a car, so of course there is a car payment with insurance, then there is rent, electricity, garbage, water, sewer, phone/cell phone, internet so the kids can do homework, and cable if I can afford it, Oh and then there is food and gas to get back and forth to work. With all that all my money is gone, I barely have enough to buy $150 worth of food for the month, which means guess what, we live on lots of top ramen, mac and cheese, hot dogs. Not alot of healthy food that my kids need. What are they trying to do to us? I don't see my kids as it is hardly. Now I will never see them.

December 23, 2013 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  22. Lucas

I will never enroll in Obamacare. I am a young, healthy American who doesn't need health insurance. I will pay the fine if I must. I will not be screwed over by the takers in this country.

December 23, 2013 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  23. destroyerofeconomies

It is fitting that the democrats crafted their own demise.a harsh day of reckoning is coming for the takers

December 23, 2013 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  24. LauriM

I have had independent health insurance for over 10 years with Blue Cross/Blue Shield. Every single year the premiums went up and went up quite a bit when my age reached a new bracket, so premium increases is NOTHING NEW and nothing unique to ACA. I went on the exchanges and saw some policies that were cheaper than mine but with an insurer I had never heard of so I stayed with my policy, just like Obama said I could. No big deal. $190/month. I chose a high deductible $5,500 to keep my premiums low but it'll cover 100% if anything major should ever happen to me. The ACA added other benefits for me like mammograms, birth control and other preventative services that weren't automatically covered before, so I still benefit from the new law. Once people start to see the benefits of the ACA, they'll come around. The Dems need to do a better job reminding people of the benefits they wouldn't have unless the ACA were there. Otherwise people won't connect the two and will take the new benefits for granted.

December 23, 2013 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  25. Demigod Vadik, CA

Absolutely true...everybody gave thumbs down to medicare and medicaid when they came out too, because ti was a "new thing", which is always scary to people...

...years from now the Tea Party of the future will carry signs that say "keep your Government hands off my Affordable Act Care"...

December 23, 2013 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |