December 23rd, 2013
12 months ago

CNN Poll: Health care law support drops to all-time low

Washington (CNN) – Support for the country's new health care law has dropped to a record low, according to a new national poll.

And a CNN/ORC International survey released Monday also indicates that most Americans predict that the Affordable Care Act will actually result in higher prices for their own medical care.

CNN/ORC International survey full results

Only 35% of those questioned in the poll say they support the health care law, a 5-point drop in less than a month. Sixty-two percent say they oppose the law, up four points from November.

Nearly all of the newfound opposition is coming from women.

"Opposition to Obamacare rose six points among women, from 54% in November to 60% now, while opinion of the new law remained virtually unchanged among men," CNN Polling Director Keating Holland said. "That's bad news for an administration that is reaching out to moms across the country in an effort to make Obamacare a success."

According to the survey, 43% say they oppose the health care law because it is too liberal, with 15% saying they give the measure a thumbs down because it is not liberal enough. That means half the public either favors Obamacare, or opposes it because it's not liberal enough, down four points from last month.

Sixty-three percent say they believe the new law will increase the amount of money they personally pay for medical care, which may not be a good sign for a law known as the "Affordable Care Act."

The survey also indicates that 42% say they will be personally worse off under Obamacare, with 16% saying the law will help them, and four in 10 saying it will have no effect on them.

Just over six in 10 say they believe they will be able to receive care from the same doctors that they now use, with 35% saying they will not be able to see the same doctors.

The Affordable Care Act, which is the signature domestic achievement for President Barack Obama, was passed along party lines in 2010, when Democrats controlled both houses of Congress. Since that passage, Republicans have fought to either repeal, defund, or severely restrict the law. A push by congressional conservatives to defund the law was the catalyst for October's 16-day long partial federal government shutdown, the first in nearly two decades.

The roll out of the law was extremely flawed, from the rocky startup of HealthCare.gov in October to the controversy over millions of Americans being told they would lose their current insurance plans because they didn't meet standards mandated by the new health care law.

Despite all the problems, the President said things are starting to improve, adding that more than 500,000 Americans enrolled in the Affordable Care Act through HealthCare.gov during the first three weeks of December.

"So all told, millions of Americans, despite problems with the website, are now poised to be covered by quality affordable health care," he said at a news conference.

The poll was conducted for CNN by ORC International December 16-19, with 1,035 adults nationwide questioned by telephone. The survey's overall sampling error is plus or minus three percentage points.

soundoff (1,206 Responses)
  1. just saying

this law is a total disaster for americans that had healthcare coverage. obama and the democrats made things far worse for 85% of the american people so they could give free healthcare to 15%. the cure is far worse than the disease. this is what you get when a bunch of far left extremist democrats think they can takeover and redesign one sixth of our economy according to their far left political beliefs on how things should work. yes, they know better than you what you need and can pay for.

obama believes he is the obamacare dictator that can stand on the balcony and unilaterally change the law to suit his political needs. isn't it wonderful to now have our healthcare subject to the whims and political needs of washington political hacks whose only real concern is buying votes to get re-elected?

December 23, 2013 08:34 am at 8:34 am |
  2. Grumpster

People are ignorant. If you tell them you will be giving them free cake and cookies, they will be happy, though probably skeptical. If you then tell them it will be a few more weeks before they can get their cake and cookies, they'll turn on you quicker than a rabid hound dog. If you're a Tea Party member, not only will you not want the cake and cookies out of spite, you'll harass the giver and call them nasty names because the cake wasn't your favorite one.

December 23, 2013 08:34 am at 8:34 am |
  3. Jessica McGwin

I told you to scrap the sight. While I might be crazy, discredited, and tempered. I turned out to be correct. For the record no one ever wants me to be right because I can only figure out the worst case situation. I do not not like it when I am correct. I have grown to love to be wrong. It means all is well. I do not know, I just do not know. Even if I can figure out how to divert it. You would not listen. Given no other choice I would have to go to the money. So that is what I'll do. I will ask Teamster to get their drivers CB's back in their trucks, I will ask com to check and recheck for gilches, I will ask the RR to test there lines, I will ask power to research grid options. I would ask the street if they can fish backwards with out closeing the circuit. Should the powers that be fail the people yet again than perhaps the people can. SS I would take a look at clapper. He sent a global message on infrastructure I find that interesting given the out come.

December 23, 2013 08:35 am at 8:35 am |
  4. Maypo

The Emperor Rufus needs to give another speech from Hawaii!!!! That'll fix it.

December 23, 2013 08:35 am at 8:35 am |
  5. Edward

A healthcare system is not rocket science. There are 26 countries with better healthcare than the USA. Just choose any one of these 26 better systems and implement it. Why will America not buy a better mousetrap? It makes no sense. You pay more and get less. It is unbelievable that you have put up with a most unacceptable status quo for this long.

December 23, 2013 08:36 am at 8:36 am |
  6. jxm

One thing I am glad about is that a single-payer system will NEVER happen in this country. The other thing I am glad about is that Obamacare is doomed.

December 23, 2013 08:36 am at 8:36 am |
  7. davis

Hmmm..... so people who actually contribute to this country finally realize what he is doing. .. too bad it's to late. What needs to happen is that the people who pay need to start realizing what is happening before the people who don't pay do. Humans are so much better about seeing a free lunch first

December 23, 2013 08:37 am at 8:37 am |
  8. Don Dons

ACA will fail and if Obama doesn't stop before its too late and swallow some of his pride, so will he inevitably too. The fact is that instead of focusing on jobs during the middle of one of the biggest financial crisis' we've ever had he decided it was the right time to pursue ACA instead. This was a terrible choice on his part but he still has some time if he's smart to backtrack and admit his mistake. Mark my words, ACA will be one of the biggest legislative fails of our time. Period.

December 23, 2013 08:37 am at 8:37 am |
  9. Guff

I'm glad people are finally waking up to this sham.

December 23, 2013 08:38 am at 8:38 am |
  10. Don

Are you serious?? Nobody in their RIGHT mind wants this crap or the government telling us what we can/can't have as far as personal business.... they can/WILL stay out of my life....nothing to do with it...

December 23, 2013 08:39 am at 8:39 am |
  11. joe

thanks obama, i lost my insurance and i went on the exchange and the exact same plan was there – for $3300 a year MORE!

December 23, 2013 08:39 am at 8:39 am |
  12. Ellen Meaker

People need to stop the negativity. Something needed to be done. Hospitals can't keep going to the feds to bail them out. This will not cost you more money.. this is a win win for everyone.. The insurance companies will still be aking money. and now everyone will be receiving good quality care. Recruiters are going crazy trying to find good PA's and MD's to fill positions. When you don't have insurance your quality care was questionable.

December 23, 2013 08:39 am at 8:39 am |
  13. allenwoll

All that is needed is to eliminate the role of the HC Insurance companies and the endless "fine print" of their HC "Plans".
    Automatically enroll every US Citizen or Legal Resident.
    Everyone pays a premium equal to the total annual US Healthcare Costs divided by the number of eligible enrollees, but adjusted as follows -
    o Those who simply can not pay at all or not full-pay - Reduced or zero;
    o Those who can pay a little more – A little more, like the income tax, but based on total wealth;
    o Those who deliberately, voluntarily lead risky lifestyles – Much. MUCH more. .
    "Risky" includes the Obese, Smokers, Drinkers, Druggies, Trapezists, Footballers, Test Pilots, etc, etc.
    NO PROFIT - But provide for a small margin to fund a herd of relentless accountants and their technical advisers to weed out the cheaters - Providers and/or Patients. . The above mentioned subsidy for the poor is to come out of the overall premiums, not from the general taxpayers.

December 23, 2013 08:40 am at 8:40 am |
  14. Natrldiver

If Obamacare is so good for America, then why do the rules keep changing?

December 23, 2013 08:40 am at 8:40 am |
  15. Jessica McGwin

And it was his boy that handed me the coin. S0 every dog smells it's own dirt first. Kids have a way of telling on them selves.

December 23, 2013 08:40 am at 8:40 am |
  16. Sophie Meyer

I don't put much stock in polls like this. I'd be willing to wager that ignorance is rampant and that many respondents aren't basing their opinions on facts and reality. Time will tell – folks didn't like medicare or social security at the start either – now try and take it away.

December 23, 2013 08:41 am at 8:41 am |
  17. len

CNN, Why not tell the American people the benefits of the ACA.....instead of all the negative reporting from the right. Stop listening to the haters....do your job!

December 23, 2013 08:41 am at 8:41 am |
  18. Jack33

So again, reading the article closer: "half the public either favors Obamacare, or opposes it because it's not liberal enough".

Kind of makes this a different story, no? Especially considering those who see it as not liberal enough would rather have it than the horrid previous system (which did nothing whatsoever to correct intrinsic problems).

December 23, 2013 08:41 am at 8:41 am |
  19. nuclear mike

"Only 35% of those questioned in the poll say they support the health care law..." this is the approximate % of those on Food Stamps/SNAP in our state, so no surprise at 35%...but then who can pay thier deductible each & every year at the hospital + the premiums without going broke and ending up on Food Stamps?????

December 23, 2013 08:42 am at 8:42 am |
  20. spudnik56

People who do not understand this law or its long term implications are just morons. This law is good for the 40 million Americans without health insurance and will help make insurance cheaper. It is pure simple minded thinking to believe anything else.

December 23, 2013 08:42 am at 8:42 am |
  21. Betty McMillion

I am opposed to Obamacare because most people cannot afford it. I am wondering why our government did not pass laws to lower the cost of health care, beginning with the cost for supplies from companies to the cost for being treated. I also would like to know why Americans are expected to back such an expensive program when the money to set it up came straight out of our tax money. We pay taxes, prices keep climbing, and people in charge of our tax money keep finding ways to waste it and other ways to put more of it in their pockets. I think it's time to lower wages paid to those who are in charge since they do not seem to understand that tax money is to support our country, not a way for them to rob it.

December 23, 2013 08:42 am at 8:42 am |
  22. no clue

I am saving $5,400 a year because of this law. I of course simply enrolled on Obamacare rather than let fox news tell me the facts.

December 23, 2013 08:43 am at 8:43 am |
  23. Torgy

Wow, it seems when Obama supporters finally have to pay for a service..they dont like it. It is all fine and dandy when someone else pays for your existence...but when your asked to pay you balk. Nice.

December 23, 2013 08:43 am at 8:43 am |
  24. Dru Richman

I am a single white male, 59 years old with no dependents, living in Collin county, TX (just north of Dallas). I don't smoke. I signed up for the ACA because my current insurance premium is $691/month with a $10,000 deductible and $3,500 med deductible. My med copay for November 2013 was $455. Lifetime maximum is $2 million. As a person who has survived colon cancer and heart stints, if I were not 'grandfathered' into my current insurer, I would be uninsurable. As is, my insurer has increased my premiums by 150% each year—even though I haven't filed a claim since 2010. [Update: My 2014 premium will be increased to $829/month because, according to my soon-to-be-former insurer, of increased health care costs].

Under ACA in Texas there are a total of 38 plans available through 16 different companies. My preference was a 'gold' plan that covered 90% of expenses. Of the 38 plans offered, 11 were 'gold' plans. Gold plans are more expensive than the bronze or silver plans.

While I haven't reviewed all 11 plans as yet, the current frontrunner is the 'Blue Advantage Gold HMO 001' plan by Blue Cross/Blue Shield. The deductible is $3250. Copay is $0. Maximum out of pocket is $3250. Med copay is a maximum of $35. No lifetime maximum. Cost per month should be $262.03 after reimbursement. [See more here – valuepenguin.com/health-insurance/TX/blue-cross-blue-shield-blue-advantage-gold-hmo-001 ]

That works out to a $429/month savings for a substantially better policy.

Is the ACA working for me? You bet your sweet ass it is.

December 23, 2013 08:44 am at 8:44 am |
  25. louenglish

No matter we know what is best for you. We have it all planned,even the glitches. Trust us to what is best. Trust us even when your reality screams something different. We are progressives. You are the heard. That is the fair, socially just outcome we all seek.

December 23, 2013 08:44 am at 8:44 am |