GOP weekly address: Happy holidays to the military
December 24th, 2013
4 months ago

GOP weekly address: Happy holidays to the military

(CNN) – Republican Sen. Jim Risch of Idaho asked revelers Tuesday in the GOP weekly address to remember the men and women of the military in their holiday celebrations.

"As we reach for one of those gifts under the tree and untie a bow, I encourage all of us to remember the bountiful and most prized gifts we enjoy-the gifts of freedom and worship," Risch said.

Risch also asked Americans to remember the less fortunate.

"I wish each of you a very Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, happy holidays of all kinds and all the best for a wonderful new year," he said in conclusion.

Filed under: GOP weekly address
  1. smith

@Sonny-Your forgot to add Obama and Clinton to your list of people who didn`t serve (Btw, Bush served in the Air National Guard). As far as misadventures, the Vietnam war(58,000 dead troops) started by dems with a lie(gulf of tonkin). Nice Try, but we got ya.

December 24, 2013 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  2. martin

Be careful o the holidays enjoyments...

December 24, 2013 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  3. sonny chapman

Hey Smith, Clinton's Draft Dodging(he could've "served" in the Ark Nat. Guard if it got too hot), was Mortal Sin. W, Cheney & Mittens Military shortcoming were called "youthful indiscretion" by Repubs. Yes.Vietnam was Cold War disaster, with the unconnected kids paying the price, like my Texas wife's 1st husband who went to Nam & never came back. You got Me ? Didn't realize this was all a Game of Tag.

December 24, 2013 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  4. al in chicago

I don't think the republication ,party and especially the tea pot part of them really cares about anyrhing.They only
    care about rich. As for middlie class and the poor they only want to steal our pensions and any benifits they can.
    I lost three pensions to them because of lies.

December 24, 2013 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  5. sonny chapman

P.S.-Re: Obama's Military Service, like it was pointed out in the movie Stripes," There ain't no Draft anymore son". However, his Maternal Grandpa did serve under Patton in Europe. Don't hear much of that from him, like George McGovern's Military Record. Which is my whole point in these Wrap Yourself in the Flag comments.

December 24, 2013 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  6. Dominican mama 4 Obama

@ tom l
    Lol! What a tremendous post! Probably my favorite of all time and made me laugh out loud. Finally, some good old-fashioned ribbing. We need more of that. We take ourselves too seriously sometimes.

Merry Christmas to you and the "gang"
    -------------------------------------------------
    tom l? Is that really you babe?!
    Be well tom l.

December 24, 2013 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  7. tom l

@DMFO
    "Obama himself has referred to the ACA as Obamacare. My goodness
    -----------------
    You continue to paint a not very flattering picture of mental capabilities when you fail to see the difference between referring to something under one name, and the actual name of that something.
    For example we often refer to you as juvenile, or an idiot, but according to you your name is tom.
    Lol!....Sorry..no not really!!"

====

This was the post I was referring to. :)

December 24, 2013 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  8. Lynda/Minnesota

"Merry Christmas to you and the "gang""

Psst ... tom I. Don't feel left out freezing in the cold. I've always considered you part of our ticker "gang".

December 24, 2013 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  9. Tampa Tim

Smith – Vietnam was a result of SEATO, which began in 1954.

December 24, 2013 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  10. Tampa Tim

I believe it goes, "Obama Cares."

December 24, 2013 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  11. Fair is Fair

December 24, 2013 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  12. Common sense

As a good first step toward "supporting our troops," some GOP lawmakers might want to avoid cutting military benefits, sending troops into war zones without adequate equipment, and invading countries that haven't attacked us. Breathtaking hypocrisy.

December 24, 2013 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  13. Fair is Fair

That's "holding", not "hilding"... go ahead, start the eggnog jokes...

December 24, 2013 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  14. Lynda/Minnesota

@ Fair is Fair:

"Here's to a Merry Christmas to everyone! May there be love under your tree, peace in your dreams, joy with your loved ones, and NO coal in your stockings."

At this point, I'd simply settle for warmer temperatures!

Merry Christmas, Fair is Fair.
    Merry Christmas to all.

December 24, 2013 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  15. smith

@Sonny- You missed my point, if your gonna call the gop draft dodgers and war mongers you can`t be silent about dems doing the same thing. Hence the words, double standard.

December 24, 2013 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  16. Tampa Tim

smith – Quit while you are behind.

December 24, 2013 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  17. Fair is Fair

"At this point, I'd simply settle for warmer temperatures!"
    -------

December 24, 2013 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  18. subdude

Are you freaking kidding me....!?!?!?!?!?!? They should have thought about how "Our freedoms have been defended for more than 200 years by our men and women serving in uniform in the United States military. They serve in our homeland and in faraway places across the globe. Their sacrifices and those of their families allow us to live in the freest and most prosperous nation in the world.".....BEFORE THEY CUT MILITARY RETIREE BENEFITS.

Im sure there was no mention of cutting benefits of retired Senators and Congressman....how much could we have saved there??? It will be interesting to see when they vote and approve their next pay raise....

December 24, 2013 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  19. Lynda/Minnesota

"Damnedest thing, Lynda... it was 65 degrees here in Massachusetts just 2 days ago. Knew it wouldn't last."

65 degrees? Ha. I'd be happy with above freezing. Maybe I can get Tampa Tim to help out and start sending some warmth northward bound?

Oh, well. Enjoy it while it lasts!

December 24, 2013 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  20. Rudy NYC

"At this point, I'd simply settle for warmer temperatures!"

-------------------------------------–
    I think some of Fair's eggnog can cure the cold. Me? Tonight's New England Style, Seafood Chowder night. A little twist on the Italian tradition with the seven fish.

December 24, 2013 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  21. smith

Tampa Tim-Sorry timmmy, LBJ(democrat) put the boots on the ground over there. Btw, there are no winners or losers on here just diferent view points.

December 24, 2013 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  22. Lynda/Minnesota

Oh, Rudy. You DO make me laugh! For me and mine? Traditional beef roast. My husband would love Seafood Chowder night. He was born and raised in New York, btw. The rest of the family here in Minnesota? Roast X-Mas eve and Ham X-Mas day.

I found that I can only bake so many pies, so many cakes, and so many cookies to keep the warmth flowing (as it were). I'm pied, I'm caked, and I'm cookied out for this year. Next up: bread.

No eggnog. Brandy. Straight ... no rocks (brrrr).

December 24, 2013 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  23. Doug

Yup..They remembered the military all right...by voting to cut their pensions while allowing everyone else on welfare to avoid cuts. Wonderful!

December 24, 2013 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  24. Rick Fleming

The last benefits we should cut are the benefits for our soldiers who keep us free and sacrifice their health up to death for us.
    1. Obama is a mean, mean person. He always disparages the GOP or Tea Party every time he opens his mouth and lies through his teeth about almost everything.
    2. The Democrats have totally fooled the minorities into thinking that they care so much for them, when in reality, all they want to do is get their votes to stay in power. It feels sooo good. They are Santa Claus, but in reality keep the minorities enslaved (yes I mean that word) to the Government hand outs. Who is going to vote against free money and no need to have a job and get up every day, day after day and go to work like me for the last 30 years. The Dems are the meanest people in this country. They say the most terrible things about the other party and it is truly disgusting that they get away with it and the newspaper lackeys let them.
    3. The Rebublican big wigs are so inane running around trying to please the Christians and being so high and mighty, that they cannot see the forest because the trees are in the way. Leave women's reproduction to EACH FREE INDIVIDUAL and stop trying to overturn Roe Vs. Wade. It's none of our business. The 50 states should control this country and the White House, but they are letting the White House control our PRIVATE lives. Stop this global warming farce. It is only a tool for more government control and giving our wealth to other countries. Did you know that Al Gore owns 10% of a the former Chicago Carbon Exchange that is now based in England? Its a stock market for selling carbon credits. Hmmmm. Gee, maybe that would explain his rant about carbon and the need to control its emissions. What a liar. Remember this. At one time, there was ice thicker and higher than the Empire State Building, but luckily IT MELTED from global warming. Are you kidding me? This has happened before? Wow. Who would have guessed? Bring on global warming, because its cold as heck here and I'd like to plant some olive trees in the next few years. .

December 24, 2013 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  25. Name Suniel Devidas Thorat

Happy holidays to military. I salute the military people. Even they know the nature of their work and about their lives. They sacrifice and work for the nation. They deserve best in there lives. Thank you everyone.

December 24, 2013 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |