South Carolina governor got a gun from ‘Santa’
December 26th, 2013
8 months ago

South Carolina governor got a gun from ‘Santa’

(CNN) – Like many Americans, South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley chose to share what she got for Christmas via social media.

Santa’s gift for the first-term Republican? A semi-automatic pistol.

“Our family had a wonderful Christmas together! I must have been good. Santa gave me a Beretta PX4 Storm,” Haley said in an Instagram post that included a photo of the weapon.

Haley has an “A” rating from the National Rifle Association, and hasn’t been shy about her fondness for guns in the past, including by test-firing a fully automatic machine gun at a state firearms manufacturer over the summer. Her husband is a member of the Army National Guard.

Haley announced over the summer that she is seeking a second term in her conservative, GOP-leaning state.

Filed under: Nikki Haley
  1. GODZILLA1

Her doing this, which is a obscene piece of pandering to the gun crazies, is designed to give her a boost for the VP nomination of the GOP in 2016. I doubt that the nominee, CHRIS CHRISTIE, would want her any more than he would want Sarah.

December 27, 2013 08:23 am at 8:23 am |
  2. Andrew

@TKO,

How are gun owners, as a group, fearful, sad or pathetic? Gun owners are as diverse as any other large group. Are car owners lazy? Are shoe owners health-conscious?

I'm a gun owner, not because I'm afraid of anything, but because after 29 years in the military and 10 years in law enforcement I happen to enjoy shooting, and do so regularly. I have a CCW not because I think everyone is out to get me, but for the very real fact that over the years I put many people in prison, and now as a defense attorney, occasionally a real criminal comes out of prison thinking they got a raw deal.

Gun owners, like car and shoe owners, have varied and different lives. Sure there are many people who shouldn't be permitted to own weapons, but I would argue the same is true of cars. Shoes I'll concede should have no restrictions.

December 27, 2013 08:35 am at 8:35 am |
  3. Florida

Great gift. I am sitting in the woods right now with my vintage Inthaca deer rifle.
    Just enjoying the freedom that you Liberals want to destroy.

December 27, 2013 08:49 am at 8:49 am |
  4. Malory Archer

Chuck

It isn't the guns that democrats and many Americans fear, it is the supporters and backers of gun legislation that allows stupid people to own guns without background checks, mental health screenings, or the common sense of a flea.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

What he said.

December 27, 2013 09:09 am at 9:09 am |
  5. Rudy NYC

Tumbleweed wrote:

Good for her! She's setting an example to all women that it's OK to have a firearm for self-defense like our Founding Fathers intended. The benefits of gun ownership far outweigh the detriments but you never hear about that.
    -------------------------
    All I hear about is that roughly 2/3 of those who die from gun shots every year, die from self-inflicted wounds.

December 27, 2013 09:51 am at 9:51 am |