South Carolina governor got a gun from ‘Santa’
December 26th, 2013
8 months ago

South Carolina governor got a gun from ‘Santa’

(CNN) – Like many Americans, South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley chose to share what she got for Christmas via social media.

Santa’s gift for the first-term Republican? A semi-automatic pistol.

“Our family had a wonderful Christmas together! I must have been good. Santa gave me a Beretta PX4 Storm,” Haley said in an Instagram post that included a photo of the weapon.

Haley has an “A” rating from the National Rifle Association, and hasn’t been shy about her fondness for guns in the past, including by test-firing a fully automatic machine gun at a state firearms manufacturer over the summer. Her husband is a member of the Army National Guard.

Haley announced over the summer that she is seeking a second term in her conservative, GOP-leaning state.

Filed under: Nikki Haley
  1. South Carolina Pirate

Nice one Governor Haley, You had my vote for your first term and will get my support again. Although I still prefer the Glocks.

December 26, 2013 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  2. Silence DoGood

@Would You Look at That
    I appreciate your lengthy answer. But just like gun laws, there are laws and checks to see that people do not collect unemployment under false pretenses. I know – I was there – I am a hard working honest fellow laid off only because of corporate greed. There are laws to make sure I was really looking for work and penalties if caught not doing so. And just like guns laws – some freeloaders will get through. If you can envision enforcing gun laws, you can do the same for unemployment laws.

December 26, 2013 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  3. Tampa Tim

Glad it was a gift, because a thorough background search might might disqualify her. After all, any woman scares baggers, imagine how an armed woman would make them feel.

December 26, 2013 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  4. tom l

@Rudy
    "Fair is Fair

That's a fine looking heater right there.
    --------–
    That it is. Let's hope "Bob the Burglar" doesn't think the same thing after she leaves the governors' mansion. She just put out a full page advertisement on the world wide web, "Look, I have guns in my house.""

======

December 26, 2013 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  5. smith

@Jinx-An F from the people she represents, I hardly thinks so. Haley is the Gov. of South Carolina not California. I would say SC is pro-gun rights.

December 26, 2013 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  6. Gurgyl

USA needs total gun-ban laws, focus on Education. This is bunch of bull, pathetic CNN block to put.

December 26, 2013 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  7. Pander Bear

Classy! Nothing like celebrating the birth of your savior with the gift of a deadly weapon.

December 26, 2013 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  8. Rudy NYC

"I'm not sure what your point is but that's really nothing new. I think what you're saying is that she is a smart woman because no criminal will steal from her because they know she has a weapon and can protect herself. You have just made the "gun free zone" argument, and why conservatives, find those laws to be so silly because now, according to you, "
    She just put out a full page advertisement on the world wide web, "Look, I have guns in my house." So think what you just said only the opposite and now you will understand why "gun free zones" are a joke and really become the most dangerous place you can be."
    -------------------------------–

December 26, 2013 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  9. Tampa Tim

A governor may be the third worst governor in the country, but, she has a gun, so that makes up for it.

December 26, 2013 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  10. HenryMiller

@Silence DoGood: "Why do Conservatives worry about the wrong people getting welfare, but not the wrong people getting guns?"

December 26, 2013 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  11. Tampa Tim

Isn't the a Beretta PX 4 one of the guns President a Obama is taking away?

December 26, 2013 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  12. Tampa Tim

By third worst, Perry and Scott lead the GOP pack. Walker has moved up to fourth, closing in on Haley.

December 26, 2013 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  13. just saying

that looks like a mighty fine insurance policy!! everybody should be so luck as to have one as nice as this. what do you say lefties? universal life protection for all citizens? the federal government will provide free guns to all that want them? why not? you have them giving out freebies for everything else?

December 26, 2013 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  14. tom l

@Rudy,
    "I guess that explains why gun license holders in the NYC area were so upset about having their names and addresses published. They claimed that their homes were being burglarized and that the guns were being stolen. They feared burglars, despite owning guns "for protection." They realized that there is a difference between burglars and home invaders."

=====

Ok, Rudy. I'm calling you out on this incredible fabrication. First, they were angry because their names were printed without their permission. They isn't one article talking about an uptick in crime in their neighborhood...you just flat out made that up. Once again, you try to deflect my point with some frivolous drivel that has no foundation in reality nor fact. Why do you do that? Why can't you just admit that sometimes your wrong rather than give absolutely false information to try to support your argument? So. Very. Pathetic.

Oh, and can you tell me how they realized that there was a difference between burglars and home invaders and can you tell me just what that difference is please? Somehow, I don't think there will be any reply to this post.

December 26, 2013 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  15. Silence DoGood

@Rudy NYC
    -----------–
    ------------–
    They also realized there is a difference between the NRA movie fantasy and real life.

December 26, 2013 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  16. Sniffit

"That's a fine looking heater right there.
    --––

======

"

Yeah, because break-ins most often occur when you're home, tom. Come on man, your effort to deliberately misconstrue his point is obnoxious.

December 26, 2013 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  17. Rudy NYC

Pander Bear wrote:

-------------------–
    It would make Jesus weep. The right wing has no idea just how glaring that their hypocrisy truly is. They complain of having to pay taxes. Jesus told his followers to "pay Caesar that which is Caesar's", while calling those who wanted to hide behind religion as a means to avoid paying taxes heretics.

December 26, 2013 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  18. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA -aka- Take Back The House -aka- No Redemption Votes

----------------------------------------
    Precisely! "Render unto that which is Caesar's. Render unto God that which is God's." Funny how they seem to overlook that.

December 26, 2013 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  19. Silence DoGood

@henrymiller "whereas very few of the "wrong" people getting guns are causing anyone any harm"

Actually I agree with you. Most of the guns deaths are actually caused by accidents, familiar shootings, mistakes, etc. It is the "good guys" that are the problem according to law enforcement statistics on guns in the home. So who are you protecting yourself from, if not the "wrong people"?

December 26, 2013 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  20. anotherGDlefty

Way to support American manufacturing Governor...
    My lefty gun policy is what you should follow...buy more, buy American.

December 26, 2013 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  21. just asking

Rudy NYC
    "pay Caesar that which is Caesar's"
    ---

problem is the lefites think it is all theirs to take, spend, waste and redistribute others. even caesar wasn't that big of a thief.

December 26, 2013 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  22. Sniffit

"Because the "wrong" people getting welfare are demonstrably stealing from the rest of us, whereas very few of the "wrong" people getting guns are causing anyone any harm. Besides, it's hard to define "the wrong people" when it comes to guns."

Here, let me help you with that definition: "wrong people" with respect to who has guns are those doing intentional or negligent harm with them.

Oh look, that solves the problem of your misrepresentation that very few of the "wrong people" having guns are harming people with them. In fact, that's what it means to be the wrong person, whether it's drive-bys, drug deals, hold-ups, mentally ill shooting sprees or Johnny Gunfetish in Louisiana, who leaves the kids' loaded Cricket out where they can play with it while unattended or puts his prized 45 in the underwear drawer next to the bullets where the kids can find them while he's out checking the still in the garage. Oh, and btw, I chose Louisiana for a reason, you see, because it has the most lax gun laws in the nation AND the highest rate of gun injury per capita in the nation. Yeah, you're more likely to get shot in all of Louisiana than you are in Chicago.

December 26, 2013 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  23. Sniffit

As everyone knows...and I believe Pope Francis expounded on this point at length during Christmas Mass...the question we should be asking ourselves is this: Who Would Jesus Shoot?

December 26, 2013 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  24. loyalright

My kind of woman. Great governor and we need more like her.

December 26, 2013 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  25. Sniffit

"they were angry because their names were printed without their permission. "

No, they were angry about the potential for being called out as a totally irresponsible gun owner if they had it "stolen," which is the oft-used excuse for either "I stored it in a totally irresponsible manner that shows I should never have had one in the first place" or "I sold it to someone and followed none of the rules."

December 26, 2013 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |