South Carolina governor got a gun from ‘Santa’
December 26th, 2013
9 months ago

South Carolina governor got a gun from ‘Santa’

(CNN) – Like many Americans, South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley chose to share what she got for Christmas via social media.

Santa’s gift for the first-term Republican? A semi-automatic pistol.

“Our family had a wonderful Christmas together! I must have been good. Santa gave me a Beretta PX4 Storm,” Haley said in an Instagram post that included a photo of the weapon.

Haley has an “A” rating from the National Rifle Association, and hasn’t been shy about her fondness for guns in the past, including by test-firing a fully automatic machine gun at a state firearms manufacturer over the summer. Her husband is a member of the Army National Guard.

Haley announced over the summer that she is seeking a second term in her conservative, GOP-leaning state.

Filed under: Nikki Haley
  1. Sniffit

"So she legally acquired a firearm and posted it to social media? Was she breaking a law or something? Why is this news?"

Her pandering to the gun lobby and gun fetishists in SC on Xmas by posting of a firearm she received as a gift...during the season of peace and love that (in part) celebrates the birth of a man who brought and taught both to millions...is more than somewhat cognitively dissonant, disingenuous and tone-deaf disgusting. She was clearly pandering by being in-your-face about it and was, in fact, gunning for people to respond by either attacking her or lauding her so she would have something to use as a talking point later.

December 26, 2013 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  2. fred flanders

I agree with randoid. What is the deal? Of course, remember who runs this news outlet. So??? They just gave her free coverage in an attempt to demonize her! Nice job, guys.

December 26, 2013 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  3. Rosemary

OMG the word GUN was mentioned. As we speak, Liberals are jumping up and fleeing from their computers in fear. OOOOO someone got a GUN for Christmas. FEAR,FEAR,FEAR.

December 26, 2013 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  4. Pete/Ark

Nice PR stunt ....

December 26, 2013 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  5. Marc L

And CNN is reporting this why?

December 26, 2013 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  6. Steve Fielder

Sorry, Governor Haley, but Santa's elves don't run an armaments factory at the North Pole. Your Beretta pistol was made in that European Socialist country known as Italy, so you'd better send it back and buy an American-made gun instead....

December 26, 2013 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  7. Lynda/Minnesota

Nikki Haley gets a gun. Nikki Haley panders her "gift" on social media. CNN gives Nikki Haley more air time for Nikki Haley to air her pander.

And so on and so forth.

December 26, 2013 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  8. David Hoffman

I am not so sure about how great it is to get a Beretta PX4 Storm. Maybe it happens to fit her hand grip the best. The gun does have a lot of ergonomic options.

December 26, 2013 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  9. Maria Rivera-Carvalho

One word describes governor Haley:crass.

December 26, 2013 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  10. J-Man

That is great! I have a Baretta 92FS and have run thousands of rounds through it without a single jam. Baretta is a quality gun manufacturer.

December 26, 2013 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  11. SilverHair

well, well, well. What next? A hunting rifle for snipe?

December 26, 2013 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  12. Mitchell Smart

Why is this news? Oh yeah, because CNN is full of a bunch of over dramatic, bleeding heart Liberals that need to make a mountain out of a mole hill.

December 26, 2013 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  13. Chuck

It isn't the guns that democrats and many Americans fear, it is the supporters and backers of gun legislation that allows stupid people to own guns without background checks, mental health screenings, or the common sense of a flea.

December 26, 2013 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  14. TKO

ROSEMARY: I'm progressive. I don't fear guns. I find them sad and pathetic, and the people who own them usually more fearful than the ones that don't.

December 26, 2013 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  15. Guest

I wouldn't object to Santa bringing me a similar Christmas gift, but Nikki Haley is still an embarrassment to my state, my gender, and my species.

December 26, 2013 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  16. Jessica Six

If the majority of these posts are any indication of the level of intelligence/critical thinking of the people who live here... THIS COUNTRY IS TOTALLY SCREWED.

December 26, 2013 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  17. JS

Peace and love to all during the holiday season. Merry Christmas. Even red neck gun pandering governors I suppose. No matter what side you are on, it is odd that someone would advertise this came from santa.

December 26, 2013 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  18. mdasher

Nice pistol, should have gotten one for my wife. It would be a nice replacement for her Bersa.

December 26, 2013 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  19. m123

All the brain dead Obama drones come out to spread their brain dead talking points and lies.
    Good article CNN, you show you have no dignity at all in your constant cheerleading for Obumbler

December 26, 2013 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  20. nick

I'm all for gun rights, but shouldn't an American Governor buy an American gun?

December 26, 2013 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  21. SeattleReign

She chose to make this public. For whatever reason, she owns this. What CNN did with it is typical of the cable news networks who jump at anything they can in the ratings game. I respect neither of them.

December 26, 2013 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  22. cbp

I am not so sure I would be so proud of owning a gun nor would I share the information with millions of people. Perhaps she is looking for even more recognition from the NRA and perhaps she is already running for the next office.

December 26, 2013 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  23. Fool me thrice??

A 9mm is a .45 set to stun. Too bad she couldn't have bought American.

December 26, 2013 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  24. Justin

Still campaigning for re-election and courting the gun lobby on Christmas Day...got to love politicians.

December 26, 2013 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  25. Tommy G

Doesn't she know that the liberals & progressives would prefer that she, as a woman, should remain totally defenseless and dependent upon others to protect her?

Hey liberals, here's some news for you! A LOT of women are arming themselves for protection. It's the Second Amendment, THE LAW OF THE LAND, and she has every right to be able to protect herself and her family.

December 26, 2013 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |