Cruz in legal process to renounce Canadian citizenship
December 29th, 2013
9 months ago

Cruz in legal process to renounce Canadian citizenship

(CNN) - Sen. Ted Cruz has hired lawyers to help him get rid of his Canadian citizenship, the Republican from Texas told the Dallas Morning News in an interview published online Saturday night.

"I have retained counsel that is preparing the paperwork to renounce the citizenship," he said, adding he expects the process to be completed in 2014.

His office also confirmed the decision to CNN.

Cruz has said in the past he planned to renounce his citizenship, but his latest remarks represent concrete steps he's taking to actively do so.

The first-term senator has said before that he wasn't aware he was still legally tied to Canada until the Dallas newspaper raised the issue in August, quoting legal experts who said the potential presidential candidate was technically a dual citizen.

Cruz was born in Canada to an American mother and a Cuban father.

But, like in the U.S., Canada's laws state that anyone born inside its borders automatically becomes a Canadian citizen.

"Because I was a U.S. citizen at birth, because I left Calgary when I was 4 and have lived my entire life since then in the U.S., and because I have never taken affirmative steps to claim Canadian citizenship, I assumed that was the end of the matter," Cruz said in a statement in August.

Cruz told CNN chief political correspondent Candy Crowley at the time he would attempt to renounce his Canadian citizenship.

"Serving as a U.S. senator, I think it's appropriate that I be only an American," he said.

Cruz told the Dallas Morning News that the topic came up when he met last month with real estate titan Donald Trump, who was known as one of the leading voices in the "birther" movement that questioned whether President Barack Obama was a U.S. citizen.

Obama released his long-form birth certificate in April 2011, proving that he was born in Hawaii and largely putting to rest speculation about his citizenship.

Cruz did not go into detail about the meeting with Trump, saying only that the topic was not discussed in "any significant respect."

A spokesperson for Trump did not immediately return a request for comment about Trump's conversation with Cruz.

Filed under: Canada • Ted Cruz
  1. Mario

Born to an American mother, a Cuban Father and in Canada eh? No wonder this guy is as messed up as he is. I echo the setiments of the above Mayner, if there is anything I can do to speed up this process let me know. Au revoir Mr. Cruz!!

December 29, 2013 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  2. gowisha

As a dual Canadian-US citizen, if I were religious I'd say there is a god. We definitely don't want him in Canada with his way of thinking. I am in the process of renouncing my US citizenship, because I truly feel that the US politically has lost its moral compass, and I no longer with to be known as an 'American'. The vast majority of US citizens are another matter altogether, and are wonderful people, but they keep electing losers who are more interested in their own sound bites and personal interests, than they are in the people they were elected to represent. Maybe US citizens are too close to the trees to see the forest, but from outside it is plainly obvious that their country is on a long, slow, downhill slide. I wish all of them well.

December 29, 2013 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  3. Doug Campbell

Can't happen fast enough!
    We win. You lose.

A Mari Usque Ad Mare

December 29, 2013 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  4. Alex

Hang on, doesn't the definition of being a natural born citizen mean a person has to be born on American soil, not Canadian. Doesn't that then mean Cruz is not eligible to be President. He was not born on American soil. Anybody who comes to America can gain citizenship, which is why the must be natural born. Sounds like a true claim of ineligibility, rather than the stupid junk the "birther" Tea Party idiots tried to make up. At least Obama was born to an American citizen on American soil.

December 29, 2013 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  5. craig

Still doesn't resolve the issue he is trying to address. Being an american citizen is one thing, dual is another. That said, there is no law against being a dual citizen and being president, at least that I am aware of. His real problem is being born overseas, or in another country. Does that meet the "natural born criteria" so many argued about for Obama and McCain. Obama born in Hawaii an McCain born on US territory in Panama. Cruz meets neither of these two precedents as established for eligibility to be electec for the presidential office. Why do persist in continuing the narrative of him running fo that office?

December 29, 2013 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  6. Andrew

Seriously.... as a Canadian, I 1000% support him losing his citizenship. While we're at it, take Bieber too.

December 29, 2013 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  7. ibmmuseum

"United States law states that anyone born to a U.S. parent in another country is born as a U.S. citizen. "

Not exactly. The number of years the U.S. citizen parent has lived in the United States after a certain age matters, as well as their marital status. This statement should have been researched much more completely.

December 29, 2013 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  8. James Cameron

I think some of you Americans forget that we are very proud to be Canadians. I do not know one Canadian who would like to be American. As a Canadian I will be elated if he denounces his Canadian citizenship, We do not need creeps like him running around calling himself a Canadian. Yes we are tolerant people, however we are proud of our heritage and our government. You are welcome to keep the idiots like him. We don't need people like him in our country. When the Republicans or shall we say the Tea party are done using him as their puppet they can send him to Cuba. Unfortunately I think the cuban people deserve better.

December 29, 2013 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  9. always loyal UEL

thanks to the creator of all things good, I was worried we would have to keep him

December 29, 2013 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  10. Tooloose

I guess he was enjoying all the freebies and entitlements from bot countries

December 29, 2013 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  11. Michael Lindsay

he forgot and yet he help to block unemployment benefits for millions of americans anybody that hurts americans is not a american and he hates people that's not fortunate as he and the rest of the republicans of the right wing and tea party

December 29, 2013 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  12. jimboob@hotmail.com

A better would be... I'm sure others have already said it.

December 29, 2013 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  13. DW

What about his Cuban citizenship?

December 29, 2013 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  14. Somemorebs

Ok Birthers come on out!!!

He's not born in the U.S.!!! He can't run for president of our country!!! He's a damn socialist!!! He's a Kanadian from Kanadia!!!! We must unit Birthers and drive him back!!!!

December 29, 2013 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  15. Adam Smith

Republicans are sad people. A Harvard-educated lawyer ASSUMED it was 'the end of the matter'? Sometimes I think a group of street bums would be more competent than the current Republican caucus.

December 29, 2013 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  16. Robert Newhook

As a Canadian thank you so very much Mr. Cruz. Americans are great people but come you can do better than this guy

December 29, 2013 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  17. mark hensley

How much do you want to bet that this moron thinks that somehow by doing this, he can become president.

December 29, 2013 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  18. Rob

Great! As a Canadian, I`ll be writing my member of Parliament to see that his application be put into the fast lane before he decides to sign up as a politician here. I mean, it might be ok in the US, but here in Canada, wasting tax dollars to the amount Cruz has so far would surely be devastating to our economy,

December 29, 2013 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  19. algino schioretti

How ironic how much this guy resembles for Wisconsin Senator Joseph McCarty! Aanyone remember him and what happened to him

December 29, 2013 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  20. Larry B.

He should drop his U.S. citizenship. He's not a real American any way you cut it and is quite anti-American in word, thought, and deed. Cruz is a seditionist, traitor, liar, and thief and should be returned to Cuba with his holy roller father. Cruz has proven this over and again many times. He needs to be removed from Congress and American politics entirely and permanently.

December 29, 2013 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  21. Ian

Just like all the birthers said of Obama (when they claimed he was born in Kenya), he can't run for the presidency. There should be no question of this, even if he renounces his Canadian citizenship.

December 29, 2013 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  22. MaryM

Ha, silly rabbit, everyone already knows he was born in Canada

December 29, 2013 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  23. Dave Olson

@estevez. I love how "Canadian" automatically brings up "Health Care". I guess your name "Estevez" means your "Mexican"? There's more to us than health care. Wife and I travel the world and it always amazes me how people want to talk about Heath care. I mean come on. British have better health care. There's a lot more to us than that.

December 29, 2013 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  24. Corey

Canadians everywhere rejoice while Americans cringe.

December 29, 2013 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  25. zuglo

Canadians could not be happier with Cruz's decision to renounce his Canadian citizenship. It means one less nut-bar with a Canadian passport.

December 29, 2013 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |