Cruz in legal process to renounce Canadian citizenship
December 29th, 2013
12 months ago

Cruz in legal process to renounce Canadian citizenship

(CNN) - Sen. Ted Cruz has hired lawyers to help him get rid of his Canadian citizenship, the Republican from Texas told the Dallas Morning News in an interview published online Saturday night.

"I have retained counsel that is preparing the paperwork to renounce the citizenship," he said, adding he expects the process to be completed in 2014.

His office also confirmed the decision to CNN.

Cruz has said in the past he planned to renounce his citizenship, but his latest remarks represent concrete steps he's taking to actively do so.

The first-term senator has said before that he wasn't aware he was still legally tied to Canada until the Dallas newspaper raised the issue in August, quoting legal experts who said the potential presidential candidate was technically a dual citizen.

Cruz was born in Canada to an American mother and a Cuban father.

United States law states that anyone born to a U.S. parent in another country is born as a U.S. citizen.

But, like in the U.S., Canada's laws state that anyone born inside its borders automatically becomes a Canadian citizen.

"Because I was a U.S. citizen at birth, because I left Calgary when I was 4 and have lived my entire life since then in the U.S., and because I have never taken affirmative steps to claim Canadian citizenship, I assumed that was the end of the matter," Cruz said in a statement in August.

Cruz told CNN chief political correspondent Candy Crowley at the time he would attempt to renounce his Canadian citizenship.

"Serving as a U.S. senator, I think it's appropriate that I be only an American," he said.

Cruz told the Dallas Morning News that the topic came up when he met last month with real estate titan Donald Trump, who was known as one of the leading voices in the "birther" movement that questioned whether President Barack Obama was a U.S. citizen.

Obama released his long-form birth certificate in April 2011, proving that he was born in Hawaii and largely putting to rest speculation about his citizenship.

Cruz did not go into detail about the meeting with Trump, saying only that the topic was not discussed in "any significant respect."

A spokesperson for Trump did not immediately return a request for comment about Trump's conversation with Cruz.

Filed under: Canada • Ted Cruz
  1. Marty

Mr. Cruz, your nose is growing by leaps and bounds.

December 29, 2013 10:13 pm at 10:13 pm |
  2. woodie

I'm not sure we want a senator who hates Canada. He needs to back off.

December 29, 2013 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  3. Dave Harper

I'd rather that he dropped is American citizenship.

December 29, 2013 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  4. Lindall

That sucks for him. Being a Canadian is amazing and such a privledge. You know, free health care and all..

December 29, 2013 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  5. Scott

I hope Obama can deport Cruz back to Cuba.

December 29, 2013 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  6. Sean Hassett

Why the heck is he bothering? So what is he's a dual citizen? Also, it's Canada, it's not like freakin Saudi Arabia or North Korea.

December 29, 2013 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  7. Mang

Don't let the door hit you on the way out!!!

December 29, 2013 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  8. skeptical

How can people have questioned Obama's right to be President and not care about Cruz? Obama had an American mother and a foreign father. This is the same as Cruz. Why did Cruz question whether Obama had the right to be President based on whether or not he was born in Hawaii? Cruz was clearly born in Canada, so by the Tea Party logic (and Cruz's own past speeches), Cruz is ineligible to run for President.

December 29, 2013 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  9. Jay David

Dirty rotten foreigner! Go back to Canada...and ruin their country!

December 29, 2013 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  10. J. Sims

Ok! President Obamas mother was born in the U.S and so was he. If this clown runs for president he needs a birth certificate showing born in the U.S

December 29, 2013 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  11. ThinkAgain

When wil Cruz renounce his Cuban citizenship?

December 29, 2013 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  12. Joe Hates Government

Just another clown.

December 29, 2013 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  13. Wallymc

So we have a US Senator from TEXAS that does not know how citizenship works. Oh I did say TEXAS I Forgot no expectation of knowledge.

December 29, 2013 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  14. Canukman

Well, Canada is happy he will renounce his Canadian citizenship. And we hope the process will be soon, final and irrevocable.

December 29, 2013 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  15. Wayne

No problem with the usa, but we don't dont want this guy I can't even believe he thinks he has a chance ever to win the presidency or even go I bet Geb bush has a better shot no pun intended

December 29, 2013 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  16. Jim Rome

Is this buffoon a plant by late night television comedy writers?

December 29, 2013 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  17. Christy P in Santa Cruz CA

If it's to further your political career, don't bother. It's over.

December 29, 2013 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |
  18. RayJacksonMS

When's Rubio going to denounce his Cuban citizenship?

December 29, 2013 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |
  19. Jonathon Powelly

For being a supposedly brilliant lawyer it is odd her just found about his Canadian status.

December 29, 2013 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |
  20. Canadians Rejoice

"Don't let the door hit you on the way out!!"

Sorry my fellow Americans. I'm certain Donald Trump and the rest of the birthers will be on Tea Party Cruz any moment now.

errr.. wait a minute.

December 29, 2013 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |
  21. Holidays...

He should trade his citizenship with me... I love Canada

December 29, 2013 10:52 pm at 10:52 pm |
  22. tychi

Please Canada, for the love of God, take Cruz back. We do not want him, like him, or see him in Texas or America.

December 29, 2013 10:52 pm at 10:52 pm |
  23. DinoDude

Where are the birther's now?

December 29, 2013 10:53 pm at 10:53 pm |
  24. Cody

I'm a Canadian. Please take this person.

December 29, 2013 10:53 pm at 10:53 pm |
  25. Jonathon Powelly

What would be more comforting to know is for Cruz to renounce his US citizenship.

December 29, 2013 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |