Cruz in legal process to renounce Canadian citizenship
December 29th, 2013
10 months ago

Cruz in legal process to renounce Canadian citizenship

(CNN) - Sen. Ted Cruz has hired lawyers to help him get rid of his Canadian citizenship, the Republican from Texas told the Dallas Morning News in an interview published online Saturday night.

"I have retained counsel that is preparing the paperwork to renounce the citizenship," he said, adding he expects the process to be completed in 2014.

His office also confirmed the decision to CNN.

Cruz has said in the past he planned to renounce his citizenship, but his latest remarks represent concrete steps he's taking to actively do so.

The first-term senator has said before that he wasn't aware he was still legally tied to Canada until the Dallas newspaper raised the issue in August, quoting legal experts who said the potential presidential candidate was technically a dual citizen.

Cruz was born in Canada to an American mother and a Cuban father.

United States law states that anyone born to a U.S. parent in another country is born as a U.S. citizen.

But, like in the U.S., Canada's laws state that anyone born inside its borders automatically becomes a Canadian citizen.

"Because I was a U.S. citizen at birth, because I left Calgary when I was 4 and have lived my entire life since then in the U.S., and because I have never taken affirmative steps to claim Canadian citizenship, I assumed that was the end of the matter," Cruz said in a statement in August.

Cruz told CNN chief political correspondent Candy Crowley at the time he would attempt to renounce his Canadian citizenship.

"Serving as a U.S. senator, I think it's appropriate that I be only an American," he said.

Cruz told the Dallas Morning News that the topic came up when he met last month with real estate titan Donald Trump, who was known as one of the leading voices in the "birther" movement that questioned whether President Barack Obama was a U.S. citizen.

Obama released his long-form birth certificate in April 2011, proving that he was born in Hawaii and largely putting to rest speculation about his citizenship.

Cruz did not go into detail about the meeting with Trump, saying only that the topic was not discussed in "any significant respect."

A spokesperson for Trump did not immediately return a request for comment about Trump's conversation with Cruz.

Filed under: Canada • Ted Cruz
  1. Skarphace

longfisch: "It looks like the "birther" movement has switched parties"

Wrong. The "birther" movement was the effort to prove that Obama was not actually born in Hawaii. The idea was that if Obama was born to one parent that was an American citizen and another that was a foreign citizen and was born on foreign soil then that would disqualify him to be POTUS.

With Ted Cruz, that is not the issue. It is a fact that he was born to one parent that was an American citizen and another that was a foreign citizen and was born on foreign soil. What we are saying now is that if such a situation would disqualify a part-black man from being POTUS, then it would also disqualify a part-hispanic man from being POTUS. Otherwise, the Tea Party is once again being hypocritical, which is of no surprise to anybody.

December 30, 2013 03:05 am at 3:05 am |
  2. lynn clark

doesn't matter dude you were born in Canada!

December 30, 2013 03:12 am at 3:12 am |
  3. Reality

Pointless political posturing that will gain him no points with his political base, it was better he didn't even talk about it.

December 30, 2013 03:22 am at 3:22 am |
  4. Ted T

He'll probably renounce his U.S. citizenship when he moves back to Canada!

December 30, 2013 03:26 am at 3:26 am |
  5. Rick

How is he in american government in the first place???? He's canadian!

December 30, 2013 03:38 am at 3:38 am |
  6. Thomas

@Aquabuddha

Cruz is not from Kenya , he's from Cuba .

He made a lot of money on the government shutdown , green eggs and ham.

December 30, 2013 03:43 am at 3:43 am |
  7. stafcoyote

Try to imagine this Joe McCarthy clone attempting to manage Prime Minister's questions in any Commonwealth realm. The Leader of the Opposition would chew him up and poop his remains all over the well of the House.

December 30, 2013 03:50 am at 3:50 am |
  8. Marty

I am a Canadian, my wife is an American and we have a 5 year old together who is incredibly fortunate in being recognized as a citizen in not one but 2 of the greatest countires on our complicated little planet. If he becomes the person of influence that I know in my heart that he will, I certainly hope he can at least appreciate the freedoms, rights and luxuries that were bestowed upon him when he was born where and under what circumstances he was.

If you are 100% sure about this, you can forward a cheque to the hospital where you were born Mr Cruz, as I am quite sure it cost your family zero dollars to bring you into this world.

Happy New Year eh

December 30, 2013 04:13 am at 4:13 am |
  9. Mcman71

I was born in New Brunswick to American parents. My dual citizenship never affected my service in the US Army. I do happen to prefer Labatts and am a pretty big fan of Rush though. I look at it this way. I am an American. The fact that Canada still considers me a citizen is flattering and I see no point in renouncing it, it would be rude.

December 30, 2013 04:28 am at 4:28 am |
  10. zr1100c3

Yes. The sooner the better. He doesn't deserve to have Canadian citizenship.

December 30, 2013 04:52 am at 4:52 am |
  11. Susan

I'm sure Trump will keep his mouth shut about Cruz's citizenship issues since they are of the same ilk. ROTFL

December 30, 2013 04:53 am at 4:53 am |
  12. jazz92

this guy is so unbelievable ! He says he did not know he was a Canadian is so Funny! All these years he has been a Canadian citizen and did know it! Give me a break! NOw What I am wondering since he actually admit he was aCandian citizen is he legally able to be a Senator>? Has anyone checked to see if that is true or not! He may have had cedntain lenght of time to denouce it! I know in some countries it has to be denouce before the person is 21 years old!And if the person in some countries if the person does not claim the citizenshil it automaticly goes away! But since Cruz has had his for so long I am wondering if can run for President because of that! I bet this will go to the Supreme Court if he wants to run for President!

December 30, 2013 04:58 am at 4:58 am |
  13. James Green

John McCain was born in Panama that did not stop him from running for President.

He did have to face a vote in the Senate to confirm that he was a NATURAL born US citizen.

December 30, 2013 05:01 am at 5:01 am |
  14. Shadow

2 of his jobs that would have informed him of this more than 10 years ago: "Domestic Policy Advisor to U.S. President George W. Bush on the 2000 Bush-Cheney campaign. In addition, Cruz was an Adjunct Professor of Law at the University of Texas School of Law"
    P.S. He needs to renounce his Cuban Citizenship too, as his father was still a Cuban Citizen upon the birth of Ted and their rule of citzenship is: "CITIZENSHIP .

BY BIRTH: Child born within the territory of Cuba, regardless of the nationality of the parents.

BY DESCENT: Child born abroad, at least one of whose parents is a citizen of Cuba."
    Legally, he is a Canadian, Cuban and a U.S. Citizen.
    This should be amusing in 2015 and 2016 when he suddenly comes to THAT realization.

December 30, 2013 05:05 am at 5:05 am |
  15. nemo0037

He's avoiding the real problem with his political career. Having a Canadian citizenship would not hold him back from being President. Being a blithering IDIOT will. Sadly for him, there's no curing stupidity.

December 30, 2013 05:07 am at 5:07 am |
  16. Kathie

WOW....hey "BIRTHERS" where are you now? Oh I see...not a problem because he's a Republican....WRONG...."What's good for the goose is good for the gander"......

December 30, 2013 05:10 am at 5:10 am |
  17. pourmonamiJC

He thinks he has a shot at becoming President.

December 30, 2013 05:17 am at 5:17 am |
  18. Mike

That blowhard is wasting his time.

December 30, 2013 05:21 am at 5:21 am |
  19. Pj

I would laugh if the Canadian government would deny his request. To renounce his Canadian citizenship, the Canadian government's immigration ministry has to agree to hold a special immigration tribunal in order to see if his request to renounce his Canadian citizenship will be granted based on the evidence/reasons he provides. He should have known all of this before he launched his political career. Now he's conducting a clean-up operation just so that he can potentially run for the presidency.

December 30, 2013 05:26 am at 5:26 am |
  20. Susie

Mayner–Why would he know the Canadian citizenship rules. He grew up here. He knew the US laws, the problem arose with the laws of Canada. I guess a d e m could not figure that out without some help

December 30, 2013 05:33 am at 5:33 am |
  21. Al

I would have dropped Canadian citizenship a long time ago.

December 30, 2013 05:34 am at 5:34 am |
  22. anonfreepress

Cruz is doing this for one reason: He wants to be President.

Not gonna happen.

The reason Obomba is President, and the reason he was re-elected, is not because he is worthy- he's a murdering scoundrel.

Republicans are no longer permitted to win.

They are "supposed" to be the moral party. They are not. They murder and pillage.

Faced with immorality vs immorality (that's supposed to be moral), you just wait for a Ron Paul to come along and vote for him. Since he can't win, and no one is left-

Democrats win. It does not matter how evil and repugnant the democrat is- at all.

So now we stop voting all together. Game. Set. Match.

Agorists unite.

December 30, 2013 05:43 am at 5:43 am |
  23. Merlin

Canada is probably trying to figure a way to expatriate him, with equal diligence. Oh, the red tape...

December 30, 2013 05:49 am at 5:49 am |
  24. SixDegrees

He better take steps to obtain his "real" birth certificate, too.

December 30, 2013 06:00 am at 6:00 am |
  25. Roger

This is Roger Dodger reporting live from the Canadian border where a terrible fight has ensued. Hundreds of US citizens are trying push Ted Cruz back into Canada, but an equal number of angry Canadians are pushing him right back into the US.

December 30, 2013 06:04 am at 6:04 am |