Cruz in legal process to renounce Canadian citizenship
December 29th, 2013
8 months ago

Cruz in legal process to renounce Canadian citizenship

(CNN) - Sen. Ted Cruz has hired lawyers to help him get rid of his Canadian citizenship, the Republican from Texas told the Dallas Morning News in an interview published online Saturday night.

"I have retained counsel that is preparing the paperwork to renounce the citizenship," he said, adding he expects the process to be completed in 2014.

His office also confirmed the decision to CNN.

Cruz has said in the past he planned to renounce his citizenship, but his latest remarks represent concrete steps he's taking to actively do so.

Cruz was born in Canada to an American mother and a Cuban father.

United States law states that anyone born to a U.S. parent in another country is born as a U.S. citizen.

But, like in the U.S., Canada's laws state that anyone born inside its borders automatically becomes a Canadian citizen.

"Because I was a U.S. citizen at birth, because I left Calgary when I was 4 and have lived my entire life since then in the U.S., and because I have never taken affirmative steps to claim Canadian citizenship, I assumed that was the end of the matter," Cruz said in a statement in August.

Cruz told CNN chief political correspondent Candy Crowley at the time he would attempt to renounce his Canadian citizenship.

"Serving as a U.S. senator, I think it's appropriate that I be only an American," he said.

Cruz told the Dallas Morning News that the topic came up when he met last month with real estate titan Donald Trump, who was known as one of the leading voices in the "birther" movement that questioned whether President Barack Obama was a U.S. citizen.

Obama released his long-form birth certificate in April 2011, proving that he was born in Hawaii and largely putting to rest speculation about his citizenship.

Cruz did not go into detail about the meeting with Trump, saying only that the topic was not discussed in "any significant respect."

A spokesperson for Trump did not immediately return a request for comment about Trump's conversation with Cruz.

Filed under: Canada • Ted Cruz
  1. Timekeeper

Personally I think for the american people it would be a real good thing to keep the Canadian citizenship and give up the US. This clowns father is Mexican, he was born in Canada to an American mother but he has the guts to attack Obama on citizenship. What a looser.

December 30, 2013 09:16 am at 9:16 am |
  2. Jeff in Wayne

Can we renounce HIM, and send him back to the Canadians?

December 30, 2013 09:16 am at 9:16 am |
  3. Dimanchi

Canada must be happy to have this trash\biohazard removed from its country

December 30, 2013 09:17 am at 9:17 am |
  4. Kelcy

Just going to point out this little issue here....... based on the GOP/TP standards Cruz can never be president because in their world view Cruz is not a "natural born American" if he was born in Canada. Hasn`t their entire argument regarding President Obama been that he was born in a foreign country and not the US, and even though his mother was a US citizen he wouldn`t have been a natural born one.

So funny that the hypocrisy is so blatant and shoot the controversy was (probably still is) going strong just a year ago.

December 30, 2013 09:18 am at 9:18 am |
  5. Anonymous

Since United States law states that anyone born to a U.S. parent in another country is born as a U.S. citizen, that negates all the nonsense the Obama "birthers" were trying to prove. His mother was an American citizen, so even if he was born in Africa, he's an American Citizen and has every right to be President.

December 30, 2013 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  6. Chris

Though I am a right wing conservative the definition of an America Citizen should be changed.

Though his mother was an American, he was born on non-us soil while his parents were a resident of another country.

He should be considered a Canadian citizen and therefore not eligible to be President.

December 30, 2013 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  7. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Where, oh where are the Birthers on this one?
    Hmmm?!

December 30, 2013 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  8. Thomas A. Hawk

"The first-term senator has said before that he wasn't aware he was still legally tied to Canada until the Dallas newspaper raised the issue in August, quoting legal experts who said the potential presidential candidate was technically a dual citizen."

I don't get how Ted Cruz didn't already know. I never had dual citizenship but I already knew; I knew when I was 10! Yes, 10. I paid attention to my 5th grade teacher. Meanwhile, Ted Cruz is a U.S. Senator. To make things worse, he has a J.D. from Harvard. Why did I know this aspect of the law better when I was 10 than a grown-up with a J.D. from Harvard?

December 30, 2013 09:27 am at 9:27 am |
  9. duts

a guy moving from Canada and renouncing citizenship and moving to Texas to be a republican senator should say it all.

December 30, 2013 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  10. Agnostickids

Ok...I don't WANT to be mean, but has anyone noticed how extraordinarily unattractive ted cruz is? I mean, his face is frozen in a permanent whine and his eyes are so tiny and squinty...sometimes you can trust a person by their appearance, and he DOES NOT look trustworthy.

Oh, and we WILL NOT forget how he cost America, his ADOPTED country, BILLIONS of dollars during HIS forced government shutdown.

Send that clown back to Cuba.

December 30, 2013 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  11. Edston

If a Kenyan can become president, why can't a Canadian?

December 30, 2013 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  12. j jackson

The Constitution states you must Native Born and at least 35 years old. Cruz is not Native Born.

December 30, 2013 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  13. JR

Renounce your American citizenship loser, then go back to Cuba. A true GOP member. Ruin everything as long as it benefits him.

December 30, 2013 09:35 am at 9:35 am |
  14. Percy

Boy, those people in texas willl elect anybody. So when are they going to secede from the U.S.? Maybe then that clown from Canada can run for Pres. of texas. And cruz for V.P.

December 30, 2013 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  15. Glory

You guys can keep him okay? Our conservatives are conservative enough for us : )

December 30, 2013 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  16. Retired Army in San Antonio

I don't trust him.....he's got beady eyes.....and a mealy-mouth.

December 30, 2013 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  17. Jesus prefers Glocks

Canada has terminated his citizenship with prejudice.

December 30, 2013 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  18. Retired Army in San Antonio

Roger Ogilvy Thornhill

"I don't care if he's Canadian. I would rather he renounce his crazy."

=======================================================

Roger.....that's funny and sad at the same time!!

December 30, 2013 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  19. Wes Scott

Cruz should NOT renounce his Canadian citizenship. He should resign from the US Senate, renounce his American citizenship and then return to the country of his birth never to dirty the US with his presence again. The last thing we need here is one more Fascist!

December 30, 2013 09:42 am at 9:42 am |
  20. Glory

I agree with Jose M Pulido, it's not a good sign of loyalty when you're shaking off a birthright for the sake of convenience. Ah well, to each his own.

December 30, 2013 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  21. tatangb

It seems that the majority from both countries do not want to keep Cruz, Cuba Maybe?

December 30, 2013 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  22. rl

Cruz was different than the President. He wasn't black and no doubt Cruz's Father was the equalivant of an illegal.

December 30, 2013 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  23. Tom Smith

Nevertheless, he is still an illegal alien to me.

December 30, 2013 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  24. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Does Castro lay claim to him because one of his parents is Cuban?
    It wouldn't suprise me if he was also considered a citizen of Cuba,what with all the people who have defected, fled, or drowned to leave the island I would think that Castro would want more citizens anyway he could get them.

December 30, 2013 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  25. Lameness

A lawyer and a politician claims he didn't know he was still legally a Canadian citizen. Does anyone REALLY believe him? He's got two major "liar liar, pants of fire" strikes against him (lawyer, politician) and he expects people to believe his denial story.

He knew. Without a doubt he knew.

December 30, 2013 09:51 am at 9:51 am |