Cruz in legal process to renounce Canadian citizenship
December 29th, 2013
8 months ago

Cruz in legal process to renounce Canadian citizenship

(CNN) - Sen. Ted Cruz has hired lawyers to help him get rid of his Canadian citizenship, the Republican from Texas told the Dallas Morning News in an interview published online Saturday night.

"I have retained counsel that is preparing the paperwork to renounce the citizenship," he said, adding he expects the process to be completed in 2014.

His office also confirmed the decision to CNN.

Cruz has said in the past he planned to renounce his citizenship, but his latest remarks represent concrete steps he's taking to actively do so.

The first-term senator has said before that he wasn't aware he was still legally tied to Canada until the Dallas newspaper raised the issue in August, quoting legal experts who said the potential presidential candidate was technically a dual citizen.

Cruz was born in Canada to an American mother and a Cuban father.

But, like in the U.S., Canada's laws state that anyone born inside its borders automatically becomes a Canadian citizen.

"Because I was a U.S. citizen at birth, because I left Calgary when I was 4 and have lived my entire life since then in the U.S., and because I have never taken affirmative steps to claim Canadian citizenship, I assumed that was the end of the matter," Cruz said in a statement in August.

Cruz told CNN chief political correspondent Candy Crowley at the time he would attempt to renounce his Canadian citizenship.

"Serving as a U.S. senator, I think it's appropriate that I be only an American," he said.

Cruz told the Dallas Morning News that the topic came up when he met last month with real estate titan Donald Trump, who was known as one of the leading voices in the "birther" movement that questioned whether President Barack Obama was a U.S. citizen.

Obama released his long-form birth certificate in April 2011, proving that he was born in Hawaii and largely putting to rest speculation about his citizenship.

Cruz did not go into detail about the meeting with Trump, saying only that the topic was not discussed in "any significant respect."

A spokesperson for Trump did not immediately return a request for comment about Trump's conversation with Cruz.

Filed under: Canada • Ted Cruz
  1. Bill

Shameful

December 29, 2013 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  2. Mantismech

Let us follow the logic of the "Birthers". Born in a foreign country, mother was an American citizen, but father was a foreigner, definitely NOT an American citizen!

December 29, 2013 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  3. pete

Good news for Canada. We don't need any more blind politicians here, we already have enough.

December 29, 2013 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  4. Paul St. Onge

I guess it must be difficult to be associated with a party against immigration reform, when your not totally clear on your own status. That fact a newspaper needed to educate him on his status demonstates how idiotic politics has become!

December 29, 2013 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  5. OldSchool

I worked with a rather shameless vitriolic conservative, your typical perpetual Obama basher. He was also Canadian. Guess where he went when he needed medical attention?

December 29, 2013 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  6. hionthehill2

Because he is a US Senator he should know US law.
    I believe his denial of "knowing he had duel citizenship" is a blatant lie.
    The voters of Texas have been duped. Remove him either by recall or finding a new candidate for the next election cycle.
    This guy is a joke and a liar.

December 29, 2013 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  7. don in albuquerque

So then it would not matter if Obama was born in Kenya. When he leaves office he needs to sue the living crap out of some people for invasion of privacy or being stupid in public or something.

December 29, 2013 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  8. timverba

I believe Hi-PoCrat is the correct term for Mr Cruz. Quite often Mr Cruz can be heard taking jabs at the affirmative action gains that help President Obama. I wonder if Mr Cruz ever thought the fact that he was born in Canada added any extra points to his Harvard application, because it did.

December 29, 2013 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  9. scooterdie

You can't change where you were born. He will be always be Canadian (unfortunately for us Canadians). America should relax their President law so that a Kenyan born Obama (don't believe it but if it happened) or a Canadian born Cruz is entitled to be President since they were "Americans" at birth.

December 29, 2013 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  10. FrankinSD

Oh, boy – here we go again. Another opportunity for legal illiterates on both sides of the political divide to carry on.

December 29, 2013 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  11. Anonymous

Prove it!

December 29, 2013 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  12. Bradley Olsen

So let me understand the reasoning of the repubs. Cruz was born in Canada and is a Canadian citizen but can run for president. If Obama was born in some other country{which he wasn't} to an American citizen mother, he would be an illegitimate president. Their reasoning defies logic. I guess the Donald is dropping his birther stance on Cruz. I, for one, welcome Cruz into the fray. I find it hard to believe that this country could elect such an idiot.

December 29, 2013 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  13. kwdragon

Trump wants desperately to be a king-maker and Cruz prays fervently to become king. Neither will happen.

December 29, 2013 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  14. Bob C

"United States law states that anyone born to a U.S. parent in another country is born as a U.S. citizen." I challenge the writer to show me where that is stated. In the past 40 or so years, the language of citizenship has been changed by the lawmakers.

December 29, 2013 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  15. Brice

Can Cruz run for President? I mean if he can (being born to an American mother in a foreign country) then why was it a problem for Obama who was born to an American mother in Hawaii (one of the United States)? I mean by that rationale, even if Obama wasn't born in Hawaii – then he has the right to run for the office.

December 29, 2013 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  16. KC Yankee

I don't have a problem with his citizenship; it's his stupidity that bothers me.

December 29, 2013 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  17. lol

Noone but the texans will vote for this guy as president...

pointless gesture.

December 29, 2013 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  18. Darrell

Ted, we won't miss you, eh!
    PS....please convince Harper to join you.

December 29, 2013 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  19. Anyone

The article says: "United States law states that anyone born to a U.S. parent in another country is born as a U.S. citizen." Since Obama's Mom is a US Citizen, so he must be a citizen, right? or is there a double standard when your Dad is from Africa?

Any birhter around?

December 29, 2013 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  20. Michael

He has no chance running for president because I am sure the tea party wackos will skewer him over being born in another country just like they tried to do with Obama............unless, of course, they're hypocrits.

December 29, 2013 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  21. Name jk. Sfl. GOP CRUZ lee&rubio 24billion dallar LOSS of your tax money conservatives,the garbage of America.

It's amazing that the dumb people of Texas would elect a Canadian citizen to be a us senator, the GOP really is the party of STUPID!!!!!

December 29, 2013 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  22. Robert Brando

I fully support Mr. Cruz decision to renounce his Canadian citizenship. Please please please let him. Source: I'm Canadian.

December 29, 2013 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  23. Just sayin'

Well, Mr. Cruz wasn't even born in the US... I wonder what the birthers will say... oh wait, if the guy is a far right conservative then it's Ok... He can be born in Canada, in Kenya, or in China for that matter... hypocrites!

December 29, 2013 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  24. Pete Stiles

If Cruz was not born in the US he CANNOT become president of the USA irrespective of his parents nationality.
    What on Earth is he talking about running for president ?

December 29, 2013 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  25. Whocaresanyway

Question is, is Cruz also a Cuban citizen?

December 29, 2013 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |