Cruz in legal process to renounce Canadian citizenship
December 29th, 2013
12 months ago

Cruz in legal process to renounce Canadian citizenship

(CNN) - Sen. Ted Cruz has hired lawyers to help him get rid of his Canadian citizenship, the Republican from Texas told the Dallas Morning News in an interview published online Saturday night.

"I have retained counsel that is preparing the paperwork to renounce the citizenship," he said, adding he expects the process to be completed in 2014.

His office also confirmed the decision to CNN.

Cruz has said in the past he planned to renounce his citizenship, but his latest remarks represent concrete steps he's taking to actively do so.

The first-term senator has said before that he wasn't aware he was still legally tied to Canada until the Dallas newspaper raised the issue in August, quoting legal experts who said the potential presidential candidate was technically a dual citizen.

Cruz was born in Canada to an American mother and a Cuban father.

But, like in the U.S., Canada's laws state that anyone born inside its borders automatically becomes a Canadian citizen.

"Because I was a U.S. citizen at birth, because I left Calgary when I was 4 and have lived my entire life since then in the U.S., and because I have never taken affirmative steps to claim Canadian citizenship, I assumed that was the end of the matter," Cruz said in a statement in August.

Cruz told CNN chief political correspondent Candy Crowley at the time he would attempt to renounce his Canadian citizenship.

"Serving as a U.S. senator, I think it's appropriate that I be only an American," he said.

Cruz told the Dallas Morning News that the topic came up when he met last month with real estate titan Donald Trump, who was known as one of the leading voices in the "birther" movement that questioned whether President Barack Obama was a U.S. citizen.

Obama released his long-form birth certificate in April 2011, proving that he was born in Hawaii and largely putting to rest speculation about his citizenship.

Cruz did not go into detail about the meeting with Trump, saying only that the topic was not discussed in "any significant respect."

A spokesperson for Trump did not immediately return a request for comment about Trump's conversation with Cruz.

Filed under: Canada • Ted Cruz
  1. Everyone in Canada

You can have him!!! Good luck with that.

December 29, 2013 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  2. arnie58

The issue that may come up later is whether Cruz is considered a natural-born citizen of the United States, a requirement for a candidate to run for president of this country.

December 29, 2013 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  3. Stelvio

I am sure he can easily renounce it since he has no connections to Canada other than him just being there are the time of his birth.

December 29, 2013 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  4. EarthWorm

I surely thought Canada would be willing to keep this creep!

December 29, 2013 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  5. Dooglas Escobar

Well if Donald Trump made such a big deal about President Obama birth of place, why he doesn't make a big deal about Ted Cruz since he was really born in Canada. He shouldn't run for the Presidency of the US

December 29, 2013 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  6. jack

United States law states that anyone born to a U.S. parent in another country is born as a U.S. citizen. Well I guess that can put to rest the birthers claim Obama was born in Kenya. Even if he was his mother was a U.S. citizen so if she gave birth to Obama in Kenya he would still be eligible to be president. Check mate..........

December 29, 2013 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  7. tony

Is it a notice that so few natural born Americans want to serve in Congress, that we have to Ask Canadians and Cubans to do it for us?

Or that the Tea Party is so unpopular that only foreigners will join it?

December 29, 2013 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  8. DanDunn666

So tell me please, if the law says that, and applies to Mr. Cruz (and ALL citizens equally), and if Mr. Cruz wants to run for President in 2016, what was the reason for the "Birther" movement?

December 29, 2013 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  9. Darren from Calgary

I think I can safely speak on behalf of all my fellow Canadians....please hurry up and get on with it.

December 29, 2013 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  10. oneSTARman

That will be a great Presidential campaign slogan – 'No Longer Canadian since 2014'

December 29, 2013 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  11. Skarphace

It doesn't matter, Cruz, your Tea Party already stated that if you were born in a foreign country to a foreign father and American mother you are not eligible to be POTUS. This is why they were trying so hard to prove that Obama was born outside the US. Therefore, you are not eligible.

That being said, if Republicans nominate a Tea Party extremist like Cruz, they are handing the presidency once more to the Democrats. If Republicans want a shot at the presidency in 2016, they need to nominate somebody Independents and moderate Democrats can consider voting for.

December 29, 2013 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  12. Seattle Sue

I would rather see Cruz move to Canada and give up his ties to United States of America.

December 29, 2013 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  13. Poor Taco Boy - LIVING IN DENIAL

Canadians are better off without him. Too bad for the United States, though...

December 29, 2013 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  14. ThinkAgain

Next up from Cruz, the Quitta and all the other cry babies on the right: "It's the Liberal media's fault that I was born in Canada to an American mother and Cuban father and I'm too dim to know that I'm supposed to renounce my Canadian citizenship and that I'm disqualified from becoming POTUS wah wah wah ...!!"

December 29, 2013 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  15. ThinkAgain

@jack: "United States law states that anyone born to a U.S. parent in another country is born as a U.S. citizen. Well I guess that can put to rest the birthers claim Obama was born in Kenya. Even if he was his mother was a U.S. citizen so if she gave birth to Obama in Kenya he would still be eligible to be president."

Actually, a broad interpretation of the C O N S T I T U T I O N says that to be a "natural born citizen" and therefore eligible to be POTUS, if you were born outside the U.S., BOTH parents have to be U.S. citizens. Cruz doesn't qualify.

And President Obama does, because he was born in Hawaii.

Kinda fun to watch the tea bags' heads explode, isn't it? :)

December 29, 2013 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  16. ram

Go ahead and do that, Mr. Cruz. But it won't change the facts at all. Guess you will want us to forget all about your birthplace just as your group forgot about Mr. Obama's parentage, right? Guess that will be different, though. And oneSTARman, how funny! Nice slogan.

Fellas, either you both are fine or you aren't...can't have it both ways.

December 29, 2013 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  17. Canadian in Houston

l think that this idiot is a affront to all Canadians and all things Canadian. Canada would do well to resolve his request post haste. I was disgusted when I read of his so-called Canadian linkage. Good riddance!

December 29, 2013 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  18. ThinkAgain

@Stelvio: "He is only Canadian by birth. Both his parents are Americans who were living in Canada at the time of his birth."

My understanding is that his father still held Cuban citizenship at the time of Ted's birth. And "only Canadian by birth" means he has Canadian citizenship.

December 29, 2013 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  19. CanadianInCanada

We will trade you Ted Cruz for Garry Johnson and a first round draft pick! Honestly I'd rather have Cruz than any of our current political party leaders any day.

December 29, 2013 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  20. Concern Citizen

Wasn't President Obama's mother a US Citizen? Where/what is the difference in this scenario as oppose to President Obama's? Where are the birthers' claims against Mr. Cruz? DOUBLE STANDARD??????

December 29, 2013 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  21. ThinkAgain

All Cruz has had to do all these years to renounce his Canadian citizenship is to pay a fee of $100 and submit an official “Application to Renounce Canadian Citizenship.”

Sounds like Cruz is a lazy liar who hoped no one would notice he's not a U.S. citizen ...

December 29, 2013 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  22. Vascodegama

I can't stand this man!

December 29, 2013 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  23. swtralph

Typical Cruz, everyone else likes the Canadians and would be proud to be also a citizen of that fair land and they say this guy is brilliant? Typical of Cruz lets put the focus on anything else besides addressing the problems we face but then the rich(Ted's masters) might actually have t pay something close to their fair share of taxes. However in a way I am glad, I have always found Canadians to be cool pleasant folk and getting rid of Ted will be a big step toward keeping it that way.

December 29, 2013 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  24. Canadian

Good riddence. No one up here wants you calling yourself Canadian either.

December 29, 2013 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  25. avaenthia

good grief, if anything ya figure being Canadian would b a good thing
    at least thats what we Canadians think....good riddance, feel free to take Quebec with you

December 29, 2013 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |