Cruz in legal process to renounce Canadian citizenship
December 29th, 2013
8 months ago

Cruz in legal process to renounce Canadian citizenship

(CNN) - Sen. Ted Cruz has hired lawyers to help him get rid of his Canadian citizenship, the Republican from Texas told the Dallas Morning News in an interview published online Saturday night.

"I have retained counsel that is preparing the paperwork to renounce the citizenship," he said, adding he expects the process to be completed in 2014.

His office also confirmed the decision to CNN.

Cruz has said in the past he planned to renounce his citizenship, but his latest remarks represent concrete steps he's taking to actively do so.

The first-term senator has said before that he wasn't aware he was still legally tied to Canada until the Dallas newspaper raised the issue in August, quoting legal experts who said the potential presidential candidate was technically a dual citizen.

Cruz was born in Canada to an American mother and a Cuban father.

But, like in the U.S., Canada's laws state that anyone born inside its borders automatically becomes a Canadian citizen.

"Because I was a U.S. citizen at birth, because I left Calgary when I was 4 and have lived my entire life since then in the U.S., and because I have never taken affirmative steps to claim Canadian citizenship, I assumed that was the end of the matter," Cruz said in a statement in August.

Cruz told CNN chief political correspondent Candy Crowley at the time he would attempt to renounce his Canadian citizenship.

"Serving as a U.S. senator, I think it's appropriate that I be only an American," he said.

Cruz told the Dallas Morning News that the topic came up when he met last month with real estate titan Donald Trump, who was known as one of the leading voices in the "birther" movement that questioned whether President Barack Obama was a U.S. citizen.

Obama released his long-form birth certificate in April 2011, proving that he was born in Hawaii and largely putting to rest speculation about his citizenship.

Cruz did not go into detail about the meeting with Trump, saying only that the topic was not discussed in "any significant respect."

A spokesperson for Trump did not immediately return a request for comment about Trump's conversation with Cruz.

Filed under: Canada • Ted Cruz
  1. steve-0

Every birther should be lining up to send Cruz back up north

December 29, 2013 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  2. Everything in Moderation

First, as a Canadian, let me say Bah-Bye!

Second: four years is not a whiff of Canadian identity, like somebody born while their parents were vacationing. It's almost to kindergarten. It's four actual years. "I never took steps to…" Well, you took your first steps here! You were potty trained here. You learned to talk here (Do you say "eh?")

Third: The ballyhoo around Obama is what makes you and the Republicans squirm. If you hadn't been such by-the-book jerks, this would be nothing. One hopes you can see you brought this on yourselves.

December 29, 2013 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  3. Mike

I'll take Ted's place as a Canadian citizen!

December 29, 2013 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  4. The Mullet

You know its bad when your own birth Country doesn't want you. LOL!!! Is it Earl Grey or Lipton Tea? I'm confused.

December 29, 2013 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  5. chrissy

Lol i agree with @ KC yankee! And the law states you must be a NATURAL born citizen of the US to become POTUS! And even if he were his political financiers are throwing good money after bad trying to get this tool elected! The american citizens have gotten alot wiser, mostly in part to HIM, and the rest of the do nothing congress! He doesnt have a prayers chance in he!! of getting elected!

December 29, 2013 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  6. meki60

he could get some pointers from president Kenyan-American

December 29, 2013 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  7. Confused????

So let me get this straight.....Obama had an American-born mother and was born in Hawaii and he is NOT qualified to be President....Cruz has an American-born mother and was born in Canada and he is........what am I missing here?

December 29, 2013 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  8. Jason

Can we file a request to expel him to Canada?

December 29, 2013 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  9. Humphrey

I bet he likes Molson beer – that should disqualify him from running for prez....

December 29, 2013 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  10. Ron

Just made my Canadian Day ! Thank You Cruz

December 29, 2013 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  11. Stephen

At least he cannot become President...

December 29, 2013 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  12. IpseCogita

The "natural born citizen" thing really needs to be tested in court so it can be specifically defined. So many believe that it means you have to have been born within US borders, but it is not actually defined by law.

December 29, 2013 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  13. ItsAMirage

All I can do is laugh. Ha ha ha

December 29, 2013 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  14. jeremyepstein

The article isn't precisely accurate when it says that the child of an American citizen board abroad is an American citizen ("United States law states that anyone born to a U.S. parent in another country is born as a U.S. citizen."). It depends on the details – in particular how long the parent had lived in the US before the child was born. Otherwise, you could have people whose great-great-great.... grandparents were US citizens, but had never been to the US, having children who are US citizens.

Here's what the USCIS website says: "The U.S. citizen parent or grandparent must have been physically present in the U.S. for five years before the child's birth, at least two of which were after age fourteen." (It also depends on where the parents and child are living at the time of application for citizenship – see http://www.uscis.gov/us-citizenship/citizenship-through-parents)

I have no idea how long Cruz's mother lived in the US prior to his birth, so I have no idea whether it's applicable to him. But if the Tea Partiers are going to continue making a fuss about Obama, you'd think they'd want to know the actual law. And if CNN wants to pretend to hire reporters, they should know too.

December 29, 2013 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  15. Grizzled One

*ahem*

Will he renounce his Cuban citizenship as well? I think he should look into whether, as is the case with Canada and the US if you are born to a national parent you have that citizenship. That citizenship might be more of a liability to him than the Canadian one.

December 29, 2013 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  16. Chris

I prefer Canadians to Texans, so he lost my vote.

December 29, 2013 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  17. j williamson

With the state of US affairs as it is Senator Cruz should really think this move over carefully. I left the US for Canada in 2006 and never looked back.

December 29, 2013 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  18. Jack

Please go back to Canada

December 29, 2013 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  19. SFC Mike

Funny, where are all the people who wined Obama was ineligible to run?

December 29, 2013 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  20. jinx9to88

Birthers? Trump? Anyone who said Obama was not eligible to be president say something! Just what I thought Hypocrites!!

December 29, 2013 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  21. GODZILLA1

I imagine Canada would be happy to be rid of the clone of Senator Joe McCarthy.

December 29, 2013 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  22. Max

Well I didn't think he could get any crazier. I've never heard of a Canadian wanting to renounce their citizenship for the sake of politics. If he wants to run for president he must be high on something.

December 29, 2013 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  23. beancounterz

He hasn't even tried to renounce his communist Cuban citizenship he inherited from his dad.

December 29, 2013 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  24. Aorangi

So he's divorcing us Canadians EH? Well to follow the divorce analogy further, it shows he lacks commitment and if he'll cheat with you, he'll cheat on you.

December 29, 2013 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  25. ElmerGantry

shhhhhh, no one is supposed to know about that,

beancounterz