Arkansas governor asks for lieutenant governor's resignation
Arkansas governor Mike Beebe looks on during a Martin Luther King Jr. service in Little Rock, Arkansas in this January 15, 2013 Governor's office handout photo.
December 31st, 2013
7 months ago

Arkansas governor asks for lieutenant governor's resignation

Washington (CNN) - Arkansas Gov. Mike Beebe, a Democrat, has asked Republican Lieutenant Gov. Mark Darr, the state's second in command, to resign over campaign finance impropriety.

Beebe called Darr on Tuesday to ask for his resignation, according to a spokesman for Beebe, after an Arkansas ethics commission ruled that Darr had broken 11 campaign finance laws since 2010.

After the call, though, Amber Pool, a spokeswoman for Darr, said the lieutenant governor had no intention of stepping down.

In the wake of the ethics ruling, Darr admitted he erred on campaign finance filings, signed a letter from the ethics commission that admitted guilt, and agreed to pay $11,000 in fines.

Beebe's resignation call only holds symbolic weight. The popular governor has no authority to force Darr out because both are independent constitutional officers for the state of Arkansas. According to the governor’s spokesman, Matt DeCample, only the state legislature can force Darr to resign.

After the call with Beebe, Darr attempted to move past the call for his resignation in a statement to CNN.

"The mistakes I made have been well documented," he said. "My focus now is on making things right with the people of Arkansas."

Darr was elected lieutenant governor in 2010, defeating Democrat state Senator Shane Broadway.

In August, he declared his intention to run for the open U.S. House seat in Arkansas's 4th Congressional District that's currently held by Republican Rep. Tom Cotton, who's decided to challenge Democrat Mark Pryor for his U.S. Senate seat.

Shortly after his announcement, however, local media began to report improper spending by Darr's 2010 campaign. Because of these questions over campaign finances, Darr called off his congressional campaign less than a month after declaring.

Term-limited, Beebe cannot run for another term in the 2014 gubernatorial race.

Filed under: Arkansas
  1. Rudy NYC

How Republican of him. "I cheated. I lied. I got caught. I told you, 'I'm sorry.' I will not resign. I will not talk about this subject anymore because I've put it behind me, and so should you." Did I miss anything?

December 31, 2013 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  2. Tampa Tim

If Darrel was concerned about doing something for the people of Arkansas, he should resign. Surely, Fox will give him a show.

December 31, 2013 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  3. Tampa Tim

Oops, Darr.

December 31, 2013 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  4. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA -aka- Take Back The House -aka- No Redemption Votes

Oh yes! Republican corruption snoops it's head up once again. 11 campaign finance laws since 2010. Him and McDonnell should share a cell together. Gov. Beebe is the model democrats should be following in 2014. His implementation of Kynect care and the Medicaid expansion is working better than any other in the country.

December 31, 2013 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  5. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA -aka- Take Back The House -aka- No Redemption Votes

Disregard previous comment. I've got Kentucky on the brain.

December 31, 2013 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  6. just asking

with all these laws, i'm sure people make mistakes every day without ever realizing it. just correct the forms and pay what needs to be paid and move on. democrats making a mountain out of a mole hill as usual.

did charlie rangel resignation after all of his far more serious financial shenigans? nope. got a slap on the wrist.

December 31, 2013 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  7. Kiefer'sNewAssistant

This is why our country has no real government to speak of...no shame shown by this thief. I don't give a rip what party he is from, if you steal you should be stripped of your position. Do not reward this clown with any office, including local dog catcher, or be ready to give your tax monies directly to him rather than using a middleman like the IRS.

December 31, 2013 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  8. Rob

@Rudy NYC....Perhaps you should shut your pie hole until you deal with political trash in your own state. How about starting with the ethically challenged Charles Rangle. You know him Rudy....the Dim-o-crat.

December 31, 2013 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  9. Tampa Tim

We continue to read about the FL republican cocaine abuser who went through two weeks of re hab, and now he is ready to go back to congress to vote against the people of FL. Anyone caught in FL, though, would be looking at 15 years.

December 31, 2013 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  10. saywho

Related to Darwin???

December 31, 2013 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  11. Anonymous

Isnt that pretty much the same approach that Obama took with Healthcare? lie, lie, lie and then lie some more and finally after years of lying admit that you "misspoke" pot meet kettle

December 31, 2013 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  12. Steve S

Another Republican 'role model', eh?
    One wonders how many indignant speeches he will give, about Welfare Fraud??

December 31, 2013 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  13. TomGI

"Amber Pool, a spokeswoman for Darr, said the lieutenant governor had no intention of stepping down"

Of course he won't resign. Breaking 11 campaign finance laws is nothing to him. Reportedly he exclaimed, 'I broke a heck of a lot more than 11 but they only caught me for those'.

December 31, 2013 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  14. Government Waste Rules

Corruption knows no political boundaries.

December 31, 2013 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  15. James

How easily the liberals and Democrats forget about the President lying to the people of this country for years about the ACA and then after trying to deny it for months when called out, then he finally says that he "misspoke" yeah right. All parties and politicians lie open your eyes. Obama lied to the people for years about people being able to keep their healthcare if they liked it. Love how people try and act like the Republican party somehow has a monopoly on this like Rod Blagojevich for example a real fine upstanding democrat or Beverly Perdue in NC, Jesse Jackson, Jr just to name a few off the top of my head.

December 31, 2013 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  16. peavey

Republican Accountability?!

look under Oxymoron.

December 31, 2013 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  17. srcactus

Folks! When a case of corruption, a case of slightest impropriety is proven against a politician the votes should stop immediately and the rotten apple needs to be discarded. We have enough bad performing politicians let alone dishonest ones.

December 31, 2013 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  18. dick E. Normus

Yet another Republican liar.

December 31, 2013 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  19. just saying

Rudy NYC
    ----

sounds more like the line we've heard from obama after every obama administration screw up and scandal.

December 31, 2013 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  20. tired of bs.

Here you go again. He makes a good no great teaparty canidate!! Lets nominate him for president? N. O. T.

December 31, 2013 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  21. edpeters101

Wouldn't it be nice if an elected official was for the people who elected him rather then a dumb statement " "My focus now is on making things right with the people of Arkansas."" rather then after being caught..

December 31, 2013 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  22. glennrobert

It sounds like Arkansas needs to sort out its politicians!

December 31, 2013 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  23. betseymcqueen15

And here come the Republicans: "but it's his RIGHT to steal from the people! Don't tread on my RIGHTS! "

December 31, 2013 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  24. Claudia, Houston, Tx

Isn't this what Jesse Jackson Jr went to prison for as well as his wife?

December 31, 2013 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  25. JSB

@ Rudy

Sounds like EVERY Democrat I have ever heard.

December 31, 2013 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |