Bill Clinton wishes full recovery to his other 'mother,' Barbara Bush
January 1st, 2014
3 months ago

Bill Clinton wishes full recovery to his other 'mother,' Barbara Bush

(CNN) – Former President Bill Clinton sent good wishes Wednesday to his adoptive Republican mother and former first lady Barbara Bush, who's been hospitalized in Houston since Monday.

"I'll be rooting for Barbara Bush's full recovery while she's rooting for Baylor today. All my best to her and @GeorgeHWBush," he tweeted.

Baylor, located in Waco, Texas, plays against the University of Central Florida in the Fiesta Bowl Wednesday night.

Despite defeating former President George H.W. Bush in 1992, Clinton has become close with the Bushes over the past decade, as the 41st and 42nd presidents have teamed up to work on humanitarian issues.

Clinton joked about becoming part of their family last April.

"Starting with my work with President George H.W. Bush on the aftermath of Katrina, people began to joke that I was getting so close to the Bush family, that I had become the black sheep son. My mother told me not to talk too long today, and Barbara, I will not let you down," Clinton said at the dedication ceremony for George W. Bush's presidential library in Dallas.

Funeral Held For Former First Lady Betty Ford

Clinton escorts the former first lady as they arrive at the funeral for former first lady Betty Ford in Grand Rapids, Michigan on July 14, 2011. (Photo by Rex Larsen-Pool/Getty Images)

In a 2012 interview with Parade Magazine, Barbara Bush said her sons call Clinton their "brother by another mother."

"He's very nice-I think he thinks of George as the father he never had," she added. "Truthfully. I mean that as a great compliment. He's been very thoughtful about calling and he's a good fellow."

The outspoken former first lady said she was "surprised by the fact that I liked him, truthfully."

"And I do like him a lot," she continued. "And he and George W. have worked together. I think they're patriots."

A family spokesperson said Wednesday Bush, 88, is getting treatment for a "respiratory-related issue" and her condition remains unchanged.

Filed under: Barbara Bush • Bill Clinton
  1. Smitty

Don't leave your wife alone with Willie Bill, don't go hunting With Cheney and always bet against Obamma (cannot pick a winner Slyendra anyone ?)

January 1, 2014 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  2. Anonymous

Mrs. Bush, I wish you a speedy recovery. You are a great lady!

January 1, 2014 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  3. alvis

pray for this evil witch

January 1, 2014 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  4. Thomas

All the best for a return to her home and family .

January 1, 2014 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  5. bill

alvis-did you mean that evil witch that is married to berry obama?

January 1, 2014 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  6. Happy New Year!

Happy New Near to our wonderful former first lady, and wishing you a speedy recovery, Mrs. Bush. You exemplify what a quality, America-loving and America-honoring first lady should be (who cares about the clothes, wigs, fake eyelashes, fake nails, and "toned arms" such a person displays!). Thank you for all your years of dedicated service to our great nation. I hope more like you will occupy the White House in years to come.

January 1, 2014 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  7. Mike VA

The only two witches I know are Mrs. Killton and Michelle

January 1, 2014 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  8. jerrylax

sure would like to know what Mrs Bush really thinks of the Clintons. Or is it true all of our politicians are inept, self serving, immoral, and corrupted?

January 1, 2014 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  9. Anonymous

How kind of some of you to use the sickness of a great lady........to make total fools out of yourselves.

She would not appreciate your words.

January 1, 2014 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  10. current state of the union

Happy, really, you have obviously never googled the bush family .

January 1, 2014 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |