Former Montana governor’s fondness for Iowa
January 5th, 2014
12 months ago

Former Montana governor’s fondness for Iowa

Washington (CNN) - Former Montana Gov. Brian Schweitzer was coy when teased about his intentions for 2016 on a Sunday talk show.

ABC anchor George Stephanopoulos asked Schweitzer if his comments in Iowa last month criticizing Democrats who voted to go to war in Iraq was a “not so subtle shot across the bow for Hillary Clinton.”

“Are you thinking of challenging her?” Stephanopoulos asked.

Schweitzer joked, “Well, I’m looking around, but gosh I like Iowa.”

Fellow panelist and CNN political contributor Ana Navarro quipped, “You’re from Montana; put your stake in the ground.”

“The ground is frozen in Montana, I can’t get a stake in it,” Schweitzer responded.

At a December event in Iowa, Schweitzer was critical of Senate Democrats who voted to go to war in Iraq in 2002, which was seen at the time as a swipe at Hillary Clinton.

“George Bush got a bunch of Democrats to go to that war. I was just shaking my head in Montana. And the reason I’m in Iowa, in part, is ‘cause I’m asking you to pick the leaders that are going to say ‘we’re not going to make those mistakes,” Schweitzer said in December.

Schweitzer, who worked in the Middle East during the 1980s, told Stephanopoulos, “Those people in Washington, D.C., most of them did not live in the Middle East. I lived in Libya. I lived in Saudi Arabia. I watched Iraq fight that war with Iran. I knew that we were supporting Iraq during that war.”

Filed under: 2016 • Brian Schweitzer
  1. Gurgyl

Most of the states are turning democratic, yes, on Hillary16.

January 5, 2014 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  2. Donna

Ah yes, the face of the far, FAR left extremist Democrat Party. The Howard Dean wing I believe. As if the current bunch of far left loons aren't doing enough damage to this country.

January 5, 2014 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  3. don in albuquerque

So move there Brian old boy.

January 5, 2014 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  4. Marie MD

Even the Canadian born terrorist loves Iowa.
    Your point about where you lived?

January 5, 2014 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  5. Tampa Tim

Donna – You do realize that you cannot debunk the truth with your lies? Fortunately, the Supreme Court thinks you are wrong about ACA.

January 5, 2014 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  6. Tampa Tim

I'm sorry, I should have been disrespectful and call you Donnapooh.

January 5, 2014 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  7. Gurgyl

Iraq war was a damage, not having Health insurance is a damage, denying pre-existing condition is a damage, putting tax evaded money in Cayman Islands, Swiss accts is a damage, shaking hands with NRA a and Gun dealers and seeing Sandy-hill school kids mass massacre is a damage, dumping tons of money in Pakistan knowing Bin Laden there is a damage, not passing Tax code is a damage, encouraging Pharmacy companies not produce generic medicines is a damage...list is long, now it am tired.

January 5, 2014 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  8. plain and simple

How does a "far left" democrat get elected in Montana? Either he's brilliant,independent or one hell of a con-man. The democrats owe it to their party to let all comers run this presidential cycle. No one should be anointed! Hillary must stand on her own two feet and fight for the nomination. How about the diversity in the democratic party? Who would believe Obama,Brian and Hillary all under one tent!

January 5, 2014 09:06 pm at 9:06 pm |
  9. NATHAN WIMBERLY

CNN and the Guns Over People tea potty bumpkin wingnuts are terrified of Hillary.

January 6, 2014 05:37 am at 5:37 am |